Interesting wheels- but tire size question?

fisch

I found a set of interesting wheels I am thinking about for my 510. They are Western Wheels, kinda pana knockoffs but a bit different. And were on a Z car so I know the rims should fit the dime, right? (14X7- thinks 0 offset.)

3m43oc3l45V35O35W3abbf8817f8b72361916.jpg

But the tire size has me confused. I like the vintage white letter Dunlop GT qualifiers almost as much as the wheel! Love the script. Will be sick with the bit of rake I like a dime to have. But the owner says they are DR60 (front) and FR60 (rear). :confused: What does that translate to? Could a Z take a taller tire that a 510? Or should it be pretty close fit.

I can't find a ref for that tire size anywhere. Google failed me and Coker tire failed me too.

Do you guys have any idea? Just want to know if the rubber will fit the 510 or if I'd need to factor new rubber into my budget. He says two tires are good and 2 are fair. Shame because I don't think you can get white-letter gt qualifiers anymore.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

I found a set of interesting wheels I am thinking about for my 510. They are Western Wheels, kinda pana knockoffs but a bit different. And were on a Z car so I know the rims should fit the dime, right? (14X7- thinks 0 offset.)

3m43oc3l45V35O35W3abbf8817f8b72361916.jpg

But the tire size has me confused. I like the vintage white letter Dunlop GT qualifiers almost as much as the wheel! Love the script. Will be sick with the bit of rake I like a dime to have. But the owner says they are DR60 (front) and FR60 (rear). :confused: What does that translate to? Could a Z take a taller tire that a 510? Or should it be pretty close fit.

I can't find a ref for that tire size anywhere. Google failed me and Coker tire failed me too.

Do you guys have any idea? Just want to know if the rubber will fit the 510 or if I'd need to factor new rubber into my budget. He says two tires are good and 2 are fair. Shame because I don't think you can get white-letter gt qualifiers anymore.

Dr and fr are bais plys if i remember right

FYI. I have run 3 different old tires like that that looked in ok shape but the cords failed within about 100 miles and got dangerous bulges under the tread, I was all over the road! I wouldn't run those old tires if i was you... By the way i'm running 14x7 -0 on my stock 510 but i have to camber the backs out, and the fronts stick out a little. i think my 280zx struts should fix that tho.

lol those tires are gonna hold about as good as a bunch of blown up freezer bags taped to the outside of the rim :lol:

I don't know ..... :huh: ...... .. if he cuts off half the spokes,, ,, the rims might not last as long as the tires... (or freezer bags) ..... :lol:

storage bags would just be a joke ......... :lol:

Damn you dudes are on the ball! Thanks for the avalanche of great replies!!

Currently I am running Maxima struts with vented disc brakes on the front. With 185/60 rubber on the front, which appears to be the size of these dunlops. But I have 195/70 on the back, which is actually taller than the translation of 205/60 these rims have. And even if they are 205/70, that is only a 1/4 more or so all around.

So the tires would fit. The question is would the rims fit or be out too far? Are maxima struts similar in this arena to 280zx front struts?

EDIT- I just went to the garage and may have answered my own question. The rears all ready tuck. I can't fit my knuckles between the tire and the fender as is, that is about 1/2 inch. If the current z 6-spokes are 14X6 +10, and I only have 1/2 with those, these rear dunlops would be a bit too hellaflush I think! (They'd stick out a bit more than the 1/2 inch I have.):blink: My fenders are already lip rolled as is.

1025095592_BrQXq-M.jpg

Plus on the front, the Z 6 spokes are flush with the edge of the fender. So these western's would stick out beyond the side of the car.

Bottom line, I'd have the flare the car. (Or get some tires with stretch.) Which may happen eventually. But I want to drive it a while before I start cutting.

I wouldn't have guessed 14X7 +0 would be an issue! I thought the rims were the least of my worries so I am glad I asked.

Once again Ratsun rocks!

They did, but 8 spoke. Enkei 80's, 13x5.5 100x4 bolt. I got em with my car, the PO told me he got them from a guy who said they where on a Z car, yeah right.

imag0396u.th.jpg

Sorry to threadjack...

Close, but these Western's have an extra pizza crust circle on the center part. Don't know if I've seen another rim with that? But I admittedly am new to the world of 4X114.3.

You're killin me Indy!

Great thoughts all around guys. I like the 6-spokes for sure, buuuuuut, always chasing that thing that is a bit more unusual.

Part of my plan would have been to trade the guy my 6-spokes (if he were willing) toward the Western Wheels. But then I'd be wheelless if the western's didn't work or needed the car flared before they would work well.

So for the moment I will keep pressing on with the 6-spokes, cleaning and painting!