Anybody seen a GOON Roll Cage?

uieluck

Has anyone here on Ratsun put a roll cage in a wagon?

Like this minus cutting the roof off?

http://www.racingonthecheap.com/wagon-rollcage-part-3/

I'm not looking for such heavy duty race construction, like for roll-overs etc. I'm just looking for a little reinforcement, so the wife will let the kiddos wheel around in the goon. Hell it wouldn't even hafta be the 1.75",, maybe a bit smaller.

Ideas? or suggestions? (besides buying a Suburban or a MiniVan).

This looks like it would work for a reverse install on this one.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60160C&Category_Code=AP160

Also: has anybody welded in a LATCH SYSTEM??

Thanks, T—

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Aole would be alive without his roll cage. Roll over is the last thing I expect. Side impacts and crumpling of the front or back.

I have thought about doing a simple loop behind the front seats and behind the rear seat. The rear one I would tie into making the suspension stronger.

Cage = bad for street as Skib said (Most likely to hit the bar that makes up the door hoop)

Rollbar = fine for street. Bar is behind head and seat should keep your head from hitting it.

I dont think Aole would be alive without his roll cage. Roll over is the last thing I expect. Side impacts and crumpling of the front or back.

I have thought about doing a simple loop behind the front seats and behind the rear seat. The rear one I would tie into making the suspension stronger.

Cage = bad for street as Skib said (Most likely to hit the bar that makes up the door hoop)

Rollbar = fine for street. Bar is behind head and seat should keep your head from hitting it.

Roll bar behind the seats FINE for street car. Cage not so good. I have a cage in my race car but never drive it without a helmet on. Putting kids in a wagon with a cage is a bad idea. Just my .02

Get yourself a mini van.

Like he said roll overs (especially in a goon) are very rare...

IMO Aole was in a side impact and he wouldnt have survived with out the cage...

However i do agree cage = Racing

I would do the roll bar idea

I have a feeling that autopower rollbar for a sedan or coupe oould fit in a wagon but maybe with some modifying to the rear legs. meaning cut them off and re position them. I think the main hoop should work in a wagon. I bet it could be done for not that much money or hard modifying.

as to using a cage or bar to make safe for kids to roll around I would say not a good idea. pain to get kids in and out and don't want to them hitting their heads on it. if the kids are small a child seat should be good but maybe look at updating the seat belts. now if you mean a latch system for driver and passenger I believe normally you would mount to a roll bar or cage but if no cage or bar is present you may have to weld in a harness bar from behind the seats that spans across the width of the car mounted to the door frame support. I have seen people mount harnesses to the floor or at hard angles and from talking to others hear it is not good as that can cause submarining of the body and cause damage to your back or break your back.

i wanted to add just a roll bar to my wagon mostly so i could put a harness and protection for a roll over. Is it possible to reinforce the insides of the doors? In my stealth there is actually a bar inside the door in the middle that runs trough the length of the door. I think a very well padded and very tight cage can work pretty good. A good cage would have to be custom made.

has anyone installed an Autopower roll bar in a wagon? I wonder if they fit?

I had an Autopower roll bar in my wagon.It bolted in just fine.

The rear window cranks were in the way so I pulled the clips

off of the cranks and left them on the back floor.

So it was open the rear door pop the handle on and roll down window.

IIRC I don't think you can fold the rear seatback forward.

My bar had the additional harness bar installed.

Probably not too safe for anyone to sit back there.

Also Autopower specs 1.75 inch tubing for the 4 point bars.

54MVC-006S.JPG

I had an Autopower roll bar in my wagon.It bolted in just fine.

The rear window cranks were in the way so I pulled the clips

off of the cranks and left them on the back floor.

So it was open the rear door pop the handle on and roll down window.

IIRC I don't think you can fold the rear seatback forward.

My bar had the additional harness bar installed.

Probably not too safe for anyone to sit back there.

Also Autopower specs 1.75 inch tubing for the 4 point bars.

54MVC-006S.JPG

Thanks fivetengarage.. Awesome info!

What type of 'latch system' are you thinking of?

The beauty of cutting off the roof was to build a tight fitting roll cage. If the roof is on, you have to leave enough room to weld all the way around the tubing, therefore there will be dead space between the tubing and the bodywork. A prefabbed piece can diminish this effect, but then other problems arise when getting the piece into the car. Another option is cutting holes in the floor and raising the hoop into place, then welding the floor plates back in. Welding the roof back on left some seams that you can still see, but hey, it's a race car. As others have said, if you will be carrying passengers, anything more than a single 1.5" b-pillar rollbar with short, forward diagonals along the front seats will be a real pain to live with. I can understand your wife's concerns however, these 2000# tincans really crumple when mixed up with 5000# suv's.