• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a 510 as we know them here

1979-Nissan-Datsun-Stanza-PA10-Southern-Cross-Rally-01-640x373.png

1979-Nissan-Datsun-Stanza-PA10-Southern-Cross-Rally-04-150x150.png

"Very successful and well known car in Australia, imported to UK in 1996." ... so I would assume it an Australian car and they were labeled as Stanza or if from New Zealand the 140J/160J but none came with the L20B motor. For rally purposes it could have been installed.

"L20B, W block works engine fully rebuilt, 190 bhp. FS5W71B close ratio dog leg 5 sp gearbox, 1:1 5th gear, H190 aluminium carrier rear axle, 4.8:1 both rebuilt by Andy Dawson. Adjustable platform 'Safari Y series' Tokiko front struts, Atsugi 'Safari black Y series' rear shocks, Sumitomo 4 pot brake calipers with vented discs all round. Even has original rally computer designed by Monty Suffern, believed to be first electronic trip-meter. 14” Enkei's on M&S Dunlops."

Probably was a 5 speed but the FS5W71B was never a dogleg nor did it come with 1:1 5th gear. The Dogleg was an FS5W63A and it only had over drive and did not have 1:1 5th. There are at least 5 Nismo competition c/r 5 speed gear boxes with 1:1 5th such called the FS5C71B. Doubtless this is the one he means.

Those are all the 2nd-gen Violet -- Datsun model series A10. It was the replacement for the 710 (1st gen violet). The A10 was called Violet, Stanza or 510 depending on the market.

It was not a replacement for the original 510. That was the 610, which became the 810. In the USA they sold the 810 only in the stretched six-cylinder version, but in Japan the 810 Bluebird was mostly sold as a four-cylnder. NMC in USA saw the boxy A10 and marketed it as the 510, a very successful marketing strategy.

Take that back now!!!!! ...... <_<

Doesn't mean it's wrong. I have 3 710s don't forget. It's just a style. They look sleek and 'swoooopy' not at all like the 'boxy' pl and hl 510. Really like the back of the sedan very sloped and rounded.

This is not a 510 as we know them here

not sure what you mean ... that it isn't the classic pl510?

i'm sure you already know that except for the small chrome bumpers, this was sold here as the "datsun 510"

this is the car that angered the ufo club folks when it came out back in the day

speaking of pricey, that price of that rally car should include a complete running and driving lz motor setup. it doesn't

I love mine even in stock trim they just tear it up on gravel. The hatch plus dogleg combo just seems to build speed on it's own. I'll look down and the needles bouncing around 70 mph when a few seconds before it read around 45 or so. They still feel in controll and reaponsive at that speed which is pretty impressive if you ask me. Both of mine came stock with l20b? Did the ausies get a different set up?

checked with a buddy downundah who knows the car

it's a legit, full competition built, rallye-spec DATSUN A10 right-hand-drive, with tons of fabrication and go fast stuff--not to mention rare & correct vintage rallye bits

but it's not an original

if anybody cares at this point, LZ cylinder heads were in fact fitted to the A10 rallye cars in Australia, but they were dropped in favor of the L20B due to cost and logistics issues

so this replica does have the correct spec engine for its class

1979-Nissan-Datsun-Stanza-PA10-Southern-Cross-Rally-01-640x373.png