ratrod 620 idea

dave71

Im sorry to say it guys but i think the bug is the only post war car you can rod out...

I almost agree with you Madness. But there a few exceptions from the 50's. (Well they are kinda cheaters because their design roots are older that the 50's for sure.) The first is the London Taxicab. Check this out. A 1956. It is in the latest issue of Ol Skool Rodz. And here is a speedhunters writeup on it!

Speedhunters London Taxi

tax7.jpg

tax4.jpg

tax1.jpg

It took so much work to get it to look like that though. Hell it was a 4-door and now the back doors are the front doors!

But it gives me hope that something can be done to the 1959 Datsun too. Very similar car in design. Lacking a svelt cowl though. (But one could be grafted.) Damn it I need another 59!

So we can imagine... here are some shots of a hood up 1959 Datsun from Kyusha Kai. In black, the cowl almost works as is (The front axle needs to be moved forward for a fenderless look though!), but I bet is less effective in a 3/4. This said the 221 and 222 pickup would be similar from the front seats forward if one wanted to do it to a truck.

Kusha Kai

5455811406_72a3492814_b.jpg

5455200419_81905384d5_b.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

u sir have joined a very prestigious club of ppl that have decided to let others know that they think that truck is cool despite the complete hatred by everyone else on this site. and im not trying to talk shit cause i said it was cool awhile ago lol

Plenty of mod work on that one,Not a big fan of making a truck totally useless, but I know its not for hauling. I watched the video and kept waiting for little people to jump out of it.

Fisch. I picked up that mag a few days ago and was blown away by that taxi. Any datsun you try to turn into a fenderless rod is going to need a serious amount of work and sheet metal (unless you can find a pre war datson state side). Firewalls can be flattened, axles can be moved, raidiators can be mounted and roofs can be chopped but if it all doesn't flow its going to be all for nothing. A 620 is (belive it or not) just too new of a body style. It can probably be done but by the time its done and looks good you wont be able to tell it was a datsun.

I think the thing to do here would be to take some inspiration from these cars without trying to copy the look too much. It may get me negative reputation points, but that chopped and sectioned 620 is the best example I've seen yet. It's definitely ratty, and still easily recognizable as a datsun. I'm designing my truck on the fly as my build comes together, but I too am going for a rat rod look. Gonna build a grill I think, design some kinda fender flares, and when that doesn't work, buy the zg flares. I want a tall shifter. Considering cutting a section from the side of the bed where I can put a board down the side and still keep my bed hooks. Wanna run steelies with white walls and matte paint that I may pinstripe. Things like that, but when I'm done, I'd like people to still come up and say "My dad had a datsun like that back in the day. Well, not exactly but that body style."

i had an '80 720 put a 620 bed on it and made a tall shifter for it...the shifter knob just missed the rear view mirror by 2 inches lol.......but i think the most important thing to remember is not to over think it to much....when they made ratrods and hot rods no one thought of flow or that they just made it the way they wanted it and it just ended up looking cool and became iconic ... so with that said i'm gonna do it my way w/a v-8,white walls and no front clip...but most important i'm gonna have fun doing it:P:lol:

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

The idea of this thread can be done to almost any vehicle and have the flow work, the question is should it be done, and what would that vehicle look right. It would be a lot of work with very few custom parts such as the windshield, radiator and hood, most won't look right without fenders, but I could be wrong on that. What you have to do is look at the vehicle(for our purposes a 620) from the top, pick your point dead center in the box tailgate, then pick two points in the front(these points will be detemined by radiator width), and draw a strait line from these points back to the center of the box tailgate, all the material between these two lines will need to be removed. This can even be done with a wagon, it will keep the original sides and the front fender wheel wells will need to be filled or covered with fenders to hide them depending on how far the wheels stick out, or where the front axle is. The truck box will need to be played with also, I think narrowed slightly, but the wedge angle kept. This fixes the firewall issue width wise, but not height wise, the same thing might have to be done height wise from the side, one point in the rear and two points in the front, take out the material between the lines, but this will start to destroy the original look from the side, but when your this deep into it, you just want it to look balanced.

I like the one on Infamous Nissan so far! I even dig the bed though some weren't into it. Looks good from the rear. Now I will be curious how he ties together the front. That is usually what messes up the look. If he could get a bit of a taper into what's left of the fenders, maybe... A straight axle would help a lot too.

The only way I see this working is to put the cab on frame rails. Like Fisch mentioned, the cowl/firewall needs some work to look right. I think it would look cool if someone could pull it off. However, I think it is too labor intensive to make it worthwhile. But I'd love to see someone do it.

Found these on a quick google search:

slami.jpg

rattruck.jpg

there is a 620 ratrod build some where on here, i went through it before. but i dont remember where it is, all it was on here was a link to another site that had the build thread. it turned out not too bad. they had the stock motor, no fenders, no hood, a grill from a 30s ford, and they took the bed and shortened it width wise, so the bed no long was over the wheels, and the tailgate said "DUN"

there is a 620 ratrod build some where on here, i went through it before. but i dont remember where it is, all it was on here was a link to another site that had the build thread. it turned out not too bad. they had the stock motor, no fenders, no hood, a grill from a 30s ford, and they took the bed and shortened it width wise, so the bed no long was over the wheels, and the tailgate said "DUN"

That's the truck on Imfamous datsun that was just mentioned above...