Tranny crap

oldschool90

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the weirdest thing. I assumed it was an automatic, I was sure it was.

Guess you learn something new every day :)

Does it growl or make any noise?

Nope. the only thing I can think of is when its in 5th gear, when you give it gas the shifter will push back bout 1/4-1/2" with quite a bit of force, and when you let off it goes back.

Looks like a ball bearing cage. It supports the balls inside the two races and keeps them spaced. There's one on each side and they wrap around each ball with rivets between. I have a picture of one stuck to the drain bung. If it has holes in it, thats likely what it is.

Yep, that's my hypothesis too. I just looked through pictures from when I tore my 5 speed apart, and everything else inside the transmission is large gears and shafts, no other pieces of thin metal aside from the bearing cages that I could see.

Well, if that IS a piece of the bearing cage (and that's what it looks like) the bearings themselves are not far behind. You likely have far less than 10,000 miles before that transmission bites the dust. It's not a matter of if. It's going to go- soon. Then you will have LOTS of parts to replace. By replacing the whole gearbox, most likely. Right now, all that has to be replaced is the bearing (and seals).

• 1 month later...

Well, if that IS a piece of the bearing cage (and that's what it looks like) the bearings themselves are not far behind. You likely have far less than 10,000 miles before that transmission bites the dust. It's not a matter of if. It's going to go- soon.

Guess what? My 5th gear is now popping out under acceleration. Any ideas on what it could be? All the other gears are fine.

The popping out of gear is probably because one of the shafts has now lost the bearing cage in its entirety and it's moving radially. The whole shaft is moving up and down. That's causing the shift rod to be pushed out.

Shortly, the bearing will fail, taking out most of the gearbox. If you're lucky it'll just lose that gear, but I wouldn't bet on it. More likely it will send debris through at least one gear set chipping teeth and chewing up the shafts. Worst case it will jam and lock up the transmission, even at highway speeds that makes for an abrupt halt. I knew at least one person who had that happen, though that one was a 63-series trans not a 71B. I bet the gearbox is making all sorts of noise but you can't hear it over the engine (this is a diesel, right?) Those transmission are fairly hard to come by. Yes, you can use the gears and rear case from a gas one, but if you destroy the front case (which houses the front bearings) you will need an entire gearbox.

Stop driving it unless you don't mind being stranded at any time. It's going out. Quickly. Like, hundreds of miles quickly. I've blown one of these 71B transmissions up. It still moved under power, but there wasn't a usable part left inside. And that one went with no warning whatsoever.

If highway driving stay in 4th. as this reduces side load. Power flows in a straight line through the tranny. Do not use 5th. But as Doug says only a matter of time. I've had this problem too, jumping out of 5th. That will be one of the counter or main bearings bearings in the adapter plate right next to the 5th gear. Within two weeks it started jumping out of 2nd. I had to hold it through 2nd to get to 3rd. ASAP I replaced with a 280z 5 speed I had.

Probably easier to replace it with a used one. A four speed will fit exactly if you can't find a 5. They are fixable but you will have to dismantle it. If it's the rear counter shaft bearing it's easier to get at. Bearing is probably $20. Best to replace a few of them while out.