940 paint formula

raggmann

So I don't know what you guys are dealing with but I can't get any paint here except waterborn.

Has anyone mixed up Tremclad, Rustoleum, or ?? in the 940 green?

I know Home Depot has that machine that you stick in a sample piece of whatever and it givesyou the mix formula but the base colors would/could be different in house paint.

Any other thoughts?

Althought the body on my 521 isn't too bad, I'm not much of a body guy and there's no way I can take it to a body shop so I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't want to use house paint. I was just thinking to get the formula of colors maybe I'd have to get the machine @ Home Depot to give me how much of what colors then hope I could find them in Rustoleum.

Yeah, that's the issue.

I want to do a patina paint job on my truck and if I used Rustoleum or Tremclad as the base, the top coat would have to be water borne and it won't stick to the oil "base".

Maybe I'll just end up going olive drab or flat black with school bus yellow wheels.

Which is kind of what I want to do BUT I want as close as I can get to the factory 940 Green.

House paint tints will work* in oil based Rustoleum and the formula they give you would probably be reasonably close, but as you said the base will be different. Dark greens (is 940 a dark green?) will probably need a clear/neutral base (not a clear finish) to start with, even a lighter green would probably use a midtone base and not white. Maybe buy some small cans of Rustoleum and do some color mixing to get proportions down?

*I'm not sure about longevity though, but they definitely mix, or at least did the last time I tried it about ~7 years ago.

I know Home Depot has that machine that you stick in a sample piece of whatever and it givesyou the mix formula but the base colors would/could be different in house paint.

Most house paint "looks" white ....... . but when you are trying to match a color there are VERY different bases to start with

For a eggshell white you need a "Pastel Base" ....... (which is basically "pure white")

For a brighter color you need a "Nuetral Base"

For Darker colors you need a "Deep Base"

The Home depot machine will need the right base to make the right color ........ ... mixing the recipe for dark green in a white can of rustoleum makes a greenish white pastel color (not the stock Datsun light green at all)

Believe me I've tried ...... the tint mixes fine with water-based paint or with oil based rustoleum ....... .. but you cannot make a non-pastel color when you start with white rustoleum

And there is a limit to how much colorant you can put in a gallon before it will NEVER dry

House paint tints will work* in oil based Rustoleum and the formula they give you would probably be reasonably close,

Not even close at all ..... ... unless you want a bamboo tan .... . or a eggshell car ....... :lol:

I worked at a hardware store mixing paint ......... and I ruined a few quarts of white rustoleum trying to make the stock Datsun light green .....

The only colors you can make is a "off-white" ..... ... any more colorant and the paint will NEVER dry

So I'm pretty much screwed for the stock color using an "oil borne" paint.

Oh well, olive drab it will be.

Maybe with a set of bright hunter orange BRE fender stripes.

This truck was originally green, painted white with a brush and what I believe to be house paint, then hot pink, then top coated dark green. Using a razor scraper,I've actually managed to get almost all the paint off down to the factory paint/primer but this is the newest picture I've got. The truck is "trapped" in the garage with snow blocking the door......and the fact that I actually drove INTO the door with my lifted Dodge which broke all the tracking the door opens on.

Does someone want to photoshop (or whatever it's called) this picture?

Make it a little lower in the back so it's level, olive drab green, and put the bight orange BRE stripes on it for me?

DatsunOct2010005.jpg

Believe me I've tried ...... the tint mixes fine with water-based paint or with oil based rustoleum ....... .. but you cannot make a non-pastel color when you start with white rustoleum

And there is a limit to how much colorant you can put in a gallon before it will NEVER dry

Not even close at all ..... ... unless you want a bamboo tan .... . or a eggshell car ....... :lol:

I worked at a hardware store mixing paint ......... and I ruined a few quarts of white rustoleum trying to make the stock Datsun light green .....

The only colors you can make is a "off-white" ..... ... any more colorant and the paint will NEVER dry

You are completely correct. I meant that if he had a corresponding Rustoleum base, the formula (with universal tints) would be close, but since he can't get a deep base no-go.

I chuckled at the "off-white" :P. Good to hear someone else here has done time behind a paint machine, it is a very special kind of hell.

It looks like the original paint is Dragon Green, Datsun code 558. Dupont uses color code 31025 for that color.

Is that the light green you can kinda see on the r/h front fender,under the darker green, pink, and white?

Sherwin Williams Retail (not to be confused with Sherwin Williams Automotive) has a product called "All Surface Enamel Oil Base" Link They have the machine to color match a sample. If you decide to go with an oil paint, this is a good alternative.

Keith