Chet's 620 project Cuz Turbo

chester

So since the last time I updated this, I have put in a fresh bottom end and a 85 720 tranny with a front case swap the week before CAnby. I also got all my headlights in which are Hellas the low beams are h4s and the highs are h1s. That is about it. Here in the next couple days I will be replacing my slave and clutch master and then going with an internal reg alt. Now here is the main reason for the update. As some know I don't have my KA anymore Wide14u has it and is going to run some carbs on it. So I have been looking for a motor and had a few options to decide from but I ended up going with a CA18ET. It may not be the best motor but it will be a good start as it is fuel injected and turbo. This will be the first time I will be dealing with a turbo so it will be a great learning experience. Here are the oics. 062412195254-1.jpg062412193049-1.jpg062412193038-1.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey got your message, phones just been acting like shit as of late.

you should be able to use a CA20 trans with it.

you can also use an SR trans with a CA bell housing, not gonna be making the power to really need that tho

I am trying to find a ca20 or a ca18 trans don't care what one I know they have different gearing, if it is an early tranny it is th 71b and I Could just swap case with the tranny I have now. I just need to get my hands on one so I can get ready to start to fab mounts. I am thinking I am going to have problems with the down pipe hitting the firewall. I might have to go the route of bigger turbo and custom manifold.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright in the last few weeks I have had something go wrong each week. First it was the coil, but it had been a problem since I got this truck as it was a point coil on el ignition. So whenever I was below 1800 rpm it would start to miss and spudder. I got a coil and with in a few weeks it started to do the same thing but worse and only every once in awhile, so today I got the right coil and for it. The next thing was the clutch master leaks. I went and got both the clutch master and the slave.(still haven't put them in yet maybe tomorrow) The last thing it the alt. I swear I have the worse luck with them. The one that went bad I put in back at the end of March. then about 3 weeks ago when Wide14U and I went to go pick up me Ca18et motor the charge light started to come on. I ended up driving around for about a week with it coming on when it felt like. the alt that I had was a 50 amp ex reg on for a 71 510 w/ ac. I got tired of it seeing the light come on, I went and decided to go with a zx unit and also since the 510 one has a lifetime warranty I had them get me one for it too. When I pulled out the bad one I found out the bearing were shot. I think that was the 3rd one that the bearings went out on me. When I got the zx one I did the swap and got it in and bypassed the volt reg. I did this on a Thursday afternoon then by Monday night I was on the side of the road putting in the 510 one that I had just got for a back up. Once again it was the bearings I guess it didn't like getting revved to 5000. The last thing that went wrong were a couple you u joints. The front one had a little play ended up replacing it first, but it didn't fix the vibration. As soon as I had the time I replace the other two and when I did the back one this is what I found. 071212222731.jpg071212222759.jpg071212225745.jpg071212225753.jpg

All I can say is I was very luck that is didnt decide to go. I am thinking it is time to got get a one piece and get the pinion angle corrected. Then last Friday I decided I needed to be lower, so I went and picked up a set of 3 inch block to replace the 3 inch ones I had and this is how it looks now. with doing this I now I have to do a notch. This is before 071312143026.jpg and this is after 071312155721.jpg071312205807.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well not to much to update. A couple weeks ago I raised the shock mounts and put in new shocks. The shocks are for a 2000-04 frontier, kyb #344469. These are the shorts shocks that I have found with a compressed length of 7.79" and they are stiff. The ride is great beside my rear end hits the frame. So it's time to do a c-notch. A week ago I made a 1000 mile + trip to Washigton and the truck did great. The highest mpg I got was 31, but I averaged about 23-26. Even with dragging a motor on the way there.(the ride there sucked ass since the rear end was sitting on the frame ugh ollz) I will get oics tomorrow on how it sits now its a little lower in front.

Well not to much to update. A couple weeks ago I raised the shock mounts and put in new shocks. The shocks are for a 2000-04 frontier, kyb #344469. These are the shorts shocks that I have found with a compressed length of 7.79" and they are stiff. The ride is great beside my rear end hits the frame. So it's time to do a c-notch. A week ago I made a 1000 mile + trip to Washigton and the truck did great. The highest mpg I got was 31, but I averaged about 23-26. Even with dragging a motor on the way there.(the ride there sucked ass since the rear end was sitting on the frame ugh ollz) I will get oics tomorrow on how it sits now its a little lower in front.

how much did u raise the front? and what is the size difference between these frontier shocks and originals?

The upper shock mount I raise 2 inches. the shock difference is the compressed length is just about 3/4 of an inch but with the frontier shocks the extended length is about and inch shorter if I remember right. There is just about an inch less of overall travel with the Frontier shock. Also the diameter of the Frontier shock is bigger, but it bolts right in. I did a search through google for KYB #344469 and ended up going through Amazon and got them for $64 shipped for the pair. and the ride is pretty good but I do still bottom out by hitting the little bit of bump stop that I have. I will get pics of everything tomorrow after work. to better describe it all.

082312002335.jpg

• 3 months later...

Haven't done to much to this just the basic crap. It is still running strong. But I am going to be switch the head out because I have it sold and then I am trading the truck off for a different datsun. That I am going to be putting the ca into. Then I just picked up another ka tonight that I am going to build in my spare time.