WTF is this!

imtb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The second picture looks like a Nissan relay. Used in the '80s and up.

The first picture could be the horn relay it has three wires but the colors aren't right. The spare wires means something was removed. Maybe to be replaced by that relay.

What are the colors of the loose wires in the first picture???

The horn relay I believe is on the backside of the strut tower next to the headlight relay. The one on the front side might be your parking lights? Turn them on and unplug a spade one at a time. I just messed with these the other day. I can't believe I already forgot. The one near the fan shroud is for the dual point setup I think?

Although yours looks different from what I recall. Maybe they replaced the old one with a newer style.....

thanks,

datto510, I think the car used to be automatic. There is power to the part in the first pic when the key is on.

I will try unplugging the parking lights and see if anything happens. I didnt think there is relay for the parking lights.

I know its not the horn relay or headlights, I found that.

I thought the one of them could be for automatic choke.

Help,

Can anyone identify these two things in the pics. Not sure what they are and what they do. I would like to clean up the wires.

Thanks,

Picture600.jpg

Picture601.jpg

Ok. I think I can help out here. I have been working on my wiring harness for the past few nights. My car is an automatic and has those same wires.

In the first picture, the 3 wire relay on the strut tower is backup lamp relay. It hooks up to the inhibitor switch on the trans and to the backup lamp switch on the trans. I am doing a VG swap so I will be getting rid of it. I traced the wires back through the harness and will hook them up to the VG backup switch.

The loose wires in front of those go to the starter relay. Yours is missing in the picture. The starter relay hooked into the trans inhibitor switch as a neutral safety. The trans switch would let the relay know the car was in neutral before power was switched to the starter. The main starter trigger wire goes from the ignition switch to the starter. You can trace the wire from where the plugs of the dash and engine compartment harnesses meet under the dash on the passenger sides. You can eliminate the starter relay and the extra wires, The starter wire is a black/yel wire. Be careful not to confuse it with the other black/yel. Wire that is the wire that controls the switch for the washer bottle.

Picture number 2. That relay mounted next to the radiator is not stock to the car. It looks like a newer type relay. There used to be a relay mounted there that was the points relay. It controlled the 2nd set of points in the dizzy. There were 4 wires to it. Blue/wht., Black/red, Black, and Black/yel.

That relay may have been added to run the electric fans shown in the picture.

You should pick up a colored wiring diagram. Sure made my life easier.

Good Luck.

David

Thanks for the response Quick. I had just figured it out after I put my test light to the relay and it lite up the reverse lights. It not hooked up to the tranny so, not sure what to do with it?

The other wires underneath the relay for the starter relay, what to do with them? The one are plugged into each other.

The ones on next to the radiator must have been for the points and there doesnt seem to be any power to them, I guess just take off the relay and tape up the leads.

Thansk for any input.

Thanks for the response Quick. I had just figured it out after I put my test light to the relay and it lite up the reverse lights. It not hooked up to the tranny so, not sure what to do with it?

The other wires underneath the relay for the starter relay, what to do with them? The one are plugged into each other.

The ones on next to the radiator must have been for the points and there doesnt seem to be any power to them, I guess just take off the relay and tape up the leads.

Thansk for any input.

If you want the reverse lights to work, you will need to hook them up to the reverse light switch on the tranny.

As to the stater relay wires, if they plugged one into the other, this just bypassed the relay so you can splice those 2 together permanently and tape off or remove the other one that went to the tranny.

Yes. If you want to, remove the relay on the rad. support and tape off the wires.

Good Luck,