Video game racing set up

SO here is what I am thinking. I picked up some 1/2" and 3/4" conduit and using a bender I am going to build a little something like what is pictured below. I think I might be able to assemble a sweet cockpit for pretty cheap besides the tools that I had to buy (YAY! late Christmas) it cost me around 10 dollars for the conduit and another 6 bucks for some fittings. I will give a quick mock up of what I am thinking. I am trying to source an AK rocker so I can dismantle it to put into my cage as well. I already have the conduit just waiting on getting the seat so I can see how wide I need to make her. Stay tuned if it turns out well I will make an instruction hopefully, I would maybe sell them, but since I am copying some one else's design I don't know if that would be in good form, if it turns out different enough I can maybe do it.

5346642717_9bf67c4caa_b.jpg

rino_gtr10.jpg

AK-Rocker-100.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but the problem with car seats is they are a bit heavier, and I am trying to keep the weight down so that I can hang this out in the garage when not in use, also I have no extra buckets here they are all with my parts cars in Kansas. If I can't find a reasonable price on the rocker, I will be using a 280z seat that I have in one of my seats, but I won't be able to pick that up until April.

but the problem with car seats is they are a bit heavier, and I am trying to keep the weight down so that I can hang this out in the garage when not in use, also I have no extra buckets here they are all with my parts cars in Kansas. If I can't find a reasonable price on the rocker, I will be using a 280z seat that I have in one of my seats, but I won't be able to pick that up until April.

craigslist ftw

A local speed/fabrication shop up here kinda did the same for their console.

PSI, in Hillsboro OR, got their hands on a wrecked Gen1 Viper. They were only going to use the motor for a project and sell off the remains (firewall back) on CL. Never happened. Not enough interest and too much work to dismantle. What to do? They turned that beast into one of the badest racing game set ups i've seen. They even went as far as hooking up the brake lights and schit. PDX'ers, go check it out one of these days.

-B

........i know. I KNOW! Cool story bro!

PSI, in Hillsboro OR, got their hands on a wrecked Gen1 Viper. They were only going to use the motor for a project and sell off the remains (firewall back) on CL. Never happened. Not enough interest and too much work to dismantle. What to do? They turned that beast into one of the badest racing game set ups i've seen. They even went as far as hooking up the brake lights and schit. PDX'ers, go check it out one of these days.

-B

My cousin was just telling me of this. Sounds pretty cool.

BTW I think you need to go in a new direction with this chair thing...

Radio_Flyer_Liberty_The_Spring_Horse_300.jpg

+

wiimote.jpg

-B

PICS

SO I have been doing a ton of Craigslisting and I came across some free RX7 buckets (that is where I was looking for the gaming seats as well-but none were free), I am picking them up tomorrow evening, then I will be starting this project. I would start right now but I don't know how wide the seats are, so if someone can chime in I could start bending tubing tonight! I was thinking about making it 2ft wide in the back and front then maybe adding a slight bend inward that way it would have a wide stance and be more solid. because there is no way those seats are 2 ft wide. SOrry the seat is sideways his pic not mine

35lf8t5.jpg

edited to show the picture

Edited by Aaron Datsun

alright first I bought a harbor freight pipe bender-thing sucks I broke it, so went back to home depot and bought a different one works like a charm! I have the frame some what mocked up, I also had to purchase another 10' length of conduit because when the first pipe thing broke it was late last night so instead of waiting I instead just dented the conduit and bent it, after it was clear that that would not cut it as it was to flimsy. Below are some pictures of where I am at. I go pick up the seat in 4 hours and hopefully will make some progress directly after. Still have to mount the seat, then I will work on the steering wheel hoop. stay tuned!

5350658952_555bef7551.jpg

5350658864_69b64519ac.jpg

Crappy Bends Below

5350658664_d559d72561.jpg

5350069501_f229056163.jpg

Good Bends!

5350068781_3a21d1e2d1.jpg

5350682074_1b05c80fbc.jpg

5350068973_5dc73ee3b1.jpg

SO it is done, that is until I get a better wheel set up, because then I will have pedals and can figure out how to mount them, after that I am going to paint the whole frame white. SO the total bill for the materials was ... less than 20 bucks because the seat was free. Unfortunately I didn't have the conduit bender so that was 40 bucks :(. So if any one needs to use the conduit bender and is in the denver area feel free to hit me up.

So it looks a little crooked but when I sit in it I don't notice. If any one wants I can write a write up on how I built it, when I get the new wheel, I will most likely add a plate to the upper part to mount it as well as the set the pedals on. Things that could have made the hole thing go better a die grinder, and a seat that has a very flat bottom that way it is easier to mount. Enjoy

5353101617_5263a499a9.jpg

5353715442_bf1af45c91.jpg

5353101061_e4d156ae1c.jpg

5353100929_56b1a23f7d.jpg

Wheels have gotten a LOT better, there are still crappy ones, but they are actually useable now-a-days. Also I finally used the set up yesterday I really liked it! did the Nuremberg several times man that is an intense race. But I will be finding a lighter chair to put in the rx7 seat is very comfortable, but pretty heavy for something that has to be moved in and out of the garage!