Whats the BEST/Easiest way to remove BED HOOKS?

GOLSETH

Ok, so I have a 73 620 and I cant stand the bed hooks. For those of you that have removed bed hooks before, how did you go about doing this? Grinder? Drilling out the spot welds from inside the bed out? Again this is asking how to remove the bed hooks, not whether or not you think bed hooks should be removed or not. Im not building my truck for you or anyone else so frankly I dont give a $hit about your opinion on what YOU think looks best or how sacreligeous you think it is to remove bed hooks from a Datsun pickup. I dont care, Im removing them one way or another! Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again this is asking how to remove the bed hooks, not whether or not you think bed hooks should be removed or not. I dont give a $hit about your opinion on what YOU think looks best or how sacreligeous you think it is to remove bed hooks from a Datsun pickup. I dont care, Im removing them one way or another! Thanks!

Is this really the best way to ask for help?

• Like 5

Vice grips on a hook. Bend a bit back and forth. They snap right off. Then very minimal grinding to clean up the weld.

Thanks for the helpful tip!

And Datto510, if the way i asked for help offended you and hurt your feelings then you shouldnt have replied at all. I said it the way i said it because im looking for help not opinions.

• Like 1

And Datto510, if the way i asked for help offended you and hurt your feelings then you shouldnt have replied at all. I said it the way i said it because im looking for help not opinions.

It only takes one moron to ruin a perfectly good truck that has survived for 40 years. Leave it alone. It will be less work for the next owner after you abandon the project because you can't figure out your water pump.

• Like 11

It only takes one moron to ruin a perfectly good truck that has survived for 40 years. Leave it alone. It will be less work for the next owner after you abandon the project because you can't figure out your water pump.

WOW! You must have really gotten butthurt. Ive never abandoned a project. Yea im a moron because i bought a 70's datsun truck and want to build it for me. Dude you need to chill out. Shaving bed hooks off is my personal preference, you shouldnt let other people's taste get to you. Like i said before, if you had nothing to contribute to my question then you should have never posted. But you're obviously one of those guys that offer to trade someone garbage for something you saw on craigslist even though their ad said in bold caps "ABSOLUTELY NO TRADES!" You just like to try and waste people's time.

Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded.

• Like 1

trucks can be cool without hooks, i tryed to take some off once and fucked shit all up... Anybody can have a stock 620.... only super cool dudes can have a custom truck.... Go ahead and cut em off.... just do a good job.....

I as well have herd vice grips.....

why do you people care so much.... he asked how its done, not if it should be done..... Pisses me off when i ask something and everyones answers ?'s i didnt ask....

and I agree with skib, everybody chill out before the ban hammer comes out.....

• Like 1

why do you people care so much.... he asked how its done, not if it should be done..... Pisses me off when i ask something and everyones answers ?'s i didnt ask....

This is a forum, people are going to comment. It is the reason forums were invented.

• Like 1

if someone asked me for help like you did. i would not have even given them the time of day! if you can't ask for help repectably, maybe you need to re-evaluate your own self, we are on here to help out when we can and if you can't roll past the comments.... IDK??? be thankful this forum is here!

ha you got another opinion you don't need!

• Like 3

if someone asked me for help like you did. i would not have even given them the time of day! if you can't ask for help repectably, maybe you need to re-evaluate your own self, we are on here to help out when we can and if you can't roll past the comments.... IDK??? be thankful this forum is here!

ha you got another opinion you don't need!

hahahaha

but seriously, hes right <_<

and I have shaved bed hooks and the tailgate latched moved to the inside and I like it that way.

Guest DatsuNoob

I backdrilled the spot welds on the inside of the bed and used an old chisel to pop em off. Then I went and got a scrap chunk of copper tubing. I crushed one end in a vice till it was flat and made a welding spoon so I could plug weld all the holes. This method works really well if you put the spoon on the exterior, and do all your plug welds on the inside. That way the bead doesnt stick to the copper and flattens out real nice. Most of your grinding is done on the inside of the bed, eazzzzy azzzz :D

..... so frankly I dont give a $hit about your opinion on what YOU think looks best or how sacreligeous you think it is to remove bed hooks from a Datsun pickup. I dont care, Im removing them one way or another! Thanks!

really? apparently you cant fukin read.

:mellow: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lolz ed so much my face hurtz. Classic example of how to ask for opinions.

I backdrilled the spot welds on the inside of the bed and used an old chisel to pop em off. Then I went and got a scrap chunk of copper tubing. I crushed one end in a vice till it was flat and made a welding spoon so I could plug weld all the holes. This method works really well if you put the spoon on the exterior, and do all your plug welds on the inside. That way the bead doesnt stick to the copper and flattens out real nice. Most of your grinding is done on the inside of the bed, eazzzzy azzzz :D

Thanks! Yea someone else a couple weeks ago suggested the drilling from the inside out through the spot welds! Thanks for the tip on the copper! Definitely would make the welding easy!