READ THIS IF YOU STORE GAS

Just got off the phone with my uncle who told me something I need to pass on. He has a friend who owns his own gas station and he said as of 8 months ago gas companies all across the nation have been adding certain chemicals to the gasoline that still burn like gas but allow them to make much more gas than before from these addatives. In a way it is like deluted gas but with certain chemicals added as to not hurt your vehicle. But here is the bad part, after about 6 months the added chemicals begin to break down and attach metal. It will eat right through the stuff. My uncle tested it out with a brand new metal gas container (the kind jeep guys use to carry extra gas on tailgate racks) and within 6 months the base of the container was nearly rusted through. It will mess up your carborators as well. Him and I have noticed a lot of older gas stations getting new tanks to store the gas. This makes sense to me that they could be putting in better tanks that are more corrosion resistant. The chemical won't attach plastics, which makes me think why there are so many newer cars that have plastic gas tanks now. If this is true the public isn't going to find out about it. If you think about it that would mean we are already paying close to $5 a gallon by the amount of true gas we get in a gallon now. This could be bad for anyone storing a boat, vintage/classic cars, lawn mowers, etc. You be the judge I am going to test it and see.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"They" started adding these chemicals 8 months ago, so 2 months after that (6 months ago) your uncle decided to start a corrosion test on them? You're saying he was aware of these unnamed chemicals within 2 months of them being added, but you nor he knows anything about what they are, other than "certain chemicals"?

I'm impressed by these highly scientific facts and logic :D

Been like this since 1995... nothing new there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_additive

They actually have corrosion inhibitors in gas.

What you are most likely seeing is water corroding the containter.

Ethanaol gas is hydroscopic (absorbs water) and can absorb 50 times more water than conventional non-alchohol gasoline

Only about 1 Tbs of water/gallon will cause fuel to contaminate/separate.

At 70 Degrees F, conventional gasoline can dissolve up to 150ppm (parts per million) of water

With 10% Ethanol gassoline it can dissolve up to 6000-7000ppm

When it is cooled down both the water and some ethanol become insoluble and separate/contaminate the gas

Gassonine has a maximum shelf life of 3 months

It is recommended you change the tank of fuel every 2-3 weeks.

Put some water in a gas can, and put some ethanol gas in a gas can and see which one rusts through first... probably both the same.

And considering for the plastic fuel tanks in cars and gas stations, there are a lot more reasons why they went to plastic tanks years ago than some chemical added 8 months ago. Especially at gas stations since it was mandated years ago with environmental issues not a chemical in the gas added 8 months ago issue.

If somebody is really worried about it you can line you gas tank with plastic. I ususally did this with old motorcycle tanks to keep from replacing them when they have pin holes. Sold as Fuel Tank Sealer/Sealant and is pretty cheap. Requires you to take out the tank of course though to make sure it doesn't plut up the output/vent lines.

Newer cars may have plastic tanks but the lines and most of the EFI stuff has metal. Traditionally gas stations had metal holding tanks, when they leaked (always eventually) meh, they dug them up and replaced. Harsher new anti pollution laws means leak proof ones are now used or old ones are dug up before they leak and replaced which is prohibitively expensive. Plastic tanks have been being used for a long time.

I can't imagine anything eating through a Jerry can in 6-8 months.

Also about diluting the fuel. Gas pumps are suppose to get tested on a regular bases and if the pump says 91 octane, it has to be close enough (can't remember the percentage off i can be) or the pump gets closed and the station gets fined. If I remember correctly there is suppose to be a number you can call and they will send somebody out to test the pumps. At least here in MO.

Here's something else abour E85

Corrosion

E85 can cause damage, since prolonged exposure to high concentrations of ethanol may corrode metal and rubber parts in older engines (pre-1985) designed primarily for gasoline. The hydroxyl group on the ethanol molecule is an extremely weak acid, but it can enhance corrosion for some natural materials. For post-1985 fuel-injected engines, all the components are already designed to accommodate E10 (10% ethanol) blends through the elimination of exposed magnesium and aluminum metals and natural rubber and cork gasketed parts. Hence, there is a greater degree of flexibility in just how much more ethanol may be added without causing ethanol-induced damage, varying by automobile manufacturer. Anhydrous ethanol in the absence of direct exposure to alkali metals and bases is non-corrosive; it is only when water is mixed with the ethanol that the mixture becomes corrosive to some metals. Hence, there is no appreciable difference in the corrosive properties between E10 and a 50:50 blend of E10 gasoline and E85 (47.5% ethanol), provided there is no water present, and the engine was designed to accommodate E10. Nonetheless, operation with more than 10% ethanol has never been recommended by car manufacturers in non-FFVs. Operation on up to 20% ethanol is generally considered safe for all post-1988 cars and trucks.