ID this trans

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget, theres a way to tell by the 6 bolts in front of the shifter, normally the trans has a tag on it right at the top of the bell housing, but i dont see on in the pics. should be a few random numbers here and there

datzen mike will chime in im sure, he can tell just by looking at it lol, might be a regular dogleg, might not, i have both style of doglegs, short tail and long tail. my short tail doesn't look like that IIRC

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20101221_112422.jpg

5 speed made from 1980 on. Can't see the bell housing but definitely NOT for a CA motor. Could be for Z series but likely an L. Only a reverse light switch so probably from a 280zx.

its attached to my L16 thats been in the garage. so most likely its a 280zx tranny? if not, what else could it be?

Anything after '80 with an L motor. But the 720 had a top gear switch. Could be from a Maxima but hard to tell.

1980 720 2wd

'80-'84 810/Maxima

80-'83 280zx.

Place in 5th gear and put a mark on the input and output spline. Have someone turn the input shaft 10 times while counting the output turns. If you get about 8 1/2 turns it does not have the large over drive gears and could be from a Maxima maybe from a 720 or very early zx. If about 7 1/2 turns, then it's from an 80-83 zx for sure.

I also need help ...need to ID but also if this is the type to use bell housing off of to make the nap-z trans fit in 70 510 and what it came in because it came in a pile of stuff and not sure of what to get yolk out of if i decide to just use this trans.......

31" to starter spot

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz003-1.jpg

30 3/4" between arrows

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz001-1.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz005.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz004.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz006.jpg

Also put this up to L18 and it didnt seem to have any noticeable lean off center if that matters

Edited by bananahamuck

WoW!

lol, not often I'm surprised, but wtf? The back half looks like from an FS5W71 ' C' type. The wiring and connectors are also newer.

Speedo hole is on left which is odd....

If from a KA it would still bolt to an L.

Can you get a shot from the back looking forward? I can't see the bolt pattern.It may already have an L bell on it.

Could be the top tranny below from a D21 Hardbody. My understanding was that they are slightly longer than the FS5W71 'B' or just over 31.5"

D-21andS13FS5W71C.jpg

Try measuring again. Hook the tape on top of the bell and pull straight back level. Hold a washer on a string for a plumb bob and check that length.

So it does LEAN,,it just did not look like it did when test fit on motor ( must have been the angle i had ) but when my camera man took pictures from behind with it lined up again it showed up better ..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz014.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz013.jpg

disc is froze on right now

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz010.jpg

can still measure more accurately tomorrow

can i mix and match with 4 speed parts ( like the one in first post ) or other trannies to make this fit a L16 powered 510 ?

or am i barkin up the wrong tree

Stick is real straight just couldn`t rouse neighbors to come out into cold to hold metal framing square ..anyway

seems its 30 1/4"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz019.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz018.jpgand

I think my having it in first gear and thinking there was NO lean started this question in the wrong direction so

i didn`t edit my first posts to avoid confusion ----wink.gif

It would appear to be from an '86.5 and up to the late '90s or more2wd D-21 Hardbody. May have been behind a Z24i or later KA24E motor. (I think the WD-21 Pathfinder never came with a 4 cyl and 2wd.) Judging from the rust it been sitting a long time.

Check that it has 5 gears. There was an F4W71 'C' believe it or not for a couple of years in the late '80s on the 2wd D-21.

Have never seen a speedo on the drivers side in these trannys. Nor was I aware that they (or this one) was so short. I've never measured one an have had to go by someone else's measuring. The way you have done it is best and avoids a slope measurement inaccuracies.

.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz014.jpg

Since my hopes have been dashed upon the rocks of reality, ill finish this out..

using 12:00 as starting point and one full-ish rotation of clutch disc

1st.................1/4+................3:20

2nd...............1/2+.................6:20

3rd................3/4...................9:00

4th................1:1.................12:00

5th................1 1/4.................one rotation then 3:00

rev............ about .................8:00

all these are subjective

Thanks for your help

Much better results can be gotten by counting the clutch disc turns to get one output turn. For example 3.3 turns for 1st, 1.9 (or just under 2 turns for 2nd etc. This is easier to compare to published gear ratio numbers that are set down that way. It would appear that your 1st gear is near 3.00 to one. 5th looks like 0.75

Since my hopes have been dashed upon the rocks of reality, ill finish this out..

This tranny would appear to be about a inch shorter than the FS5W71 'B' type and may work without changing the drive shaft length. It will bolt to any Z series motor as it is and with a simple front case swap can be fitted to any L series. The 'C' is much stronger than the 'B' and a nice shifting tranny.

What exactly were your hopes????

My hopes were that i would get "way to use the search option dumbass " and not

mar12snl4-1.jpg

All kidding aside just want to go a little faster not re-invent the wheel but i do have more than my share of Datsun "stuff" and i will try mixing and matching and if it works out it will be great but if it dont the car will get a 4speed thats just got yanked out of brothers 70 ,,,,,,,cause as bulletproof as that B&W may be it makes for real boring ride..

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, im the FNG. i just recently rescued a couple of 521's. and have not owned a datsun since 1985. A 72' 510 that was destroyed by a drunk driver. with me in it! me alone thank god! anyhow could you good folks direct me to a parts source or workshop manuals for manual transmission overhauls. Im just now getting started on one. that reportedly had lost Reverse and fifth. i pulled the tail housing off and i can pretty certainly tell you that, the gear set i was looking at was r-5. i am a technician. so im only partially stupid... i just need some reading material. to familiarize my self with what i have, before i ask to many open ended questions.. thanks for the help. sorry if this is in the wrong thread, i will learn this if it kills me!

Well I would start a post in the Project section about your trucks or maybe the Truck section under the 521. This is actually someone else's post and the answers to your questions will be mixed in with his. If you have your own thread all question/answers will be yours in one place and easy to look back on and find. Be sure to include pictures and as much background on your truck as you can. If you start it the Project and wish to move it later to Truck, that can be done.I'll wait and answer you there.