some pix from mexico

djmoreron

saw lots of datsuns while in mexico. There was literally a 620 on every corner, many of them customized "70s style". in fact, there were so many that i just stopped taking pictures until i found something unique. saw a lot of 510s, including the late 70s models. even saw a 521 with 620 tail lights, but didnt get a picture. anyway, heres the few that i thought were cool...

Bubble Window!

Mexico042.jpg

Police!

Mexico032.jpg

Mexico031.jpg

Pretty sure this was a datsun, didnt realize til later... but is that a ford logo in the grill?

Mexico016.jpg

what is this?

Mexico014.jpg

Mexico015.jpg

Mexico024.jpg

Mexico036.jpg

Mexico039.jpg

Mexico033.jpg

Tequila Plant :D:cool:

Mexicoq088.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that "unibody" 720, man is that cool. I wish we got those 4 door 720's and Hardbodies, always thought they were an obviously good idea. But no, like many cars, we got left out. I've seen a couple 4 door 720's and hardbodies here in Phoenix, probably all visiting here from Mexico.

Our club member from Mexico says:

basically in Mexico until the '90s there were only the 510 line and 720 pickup with J16 motor
I think he meant 620.

Further:

in Mexico they sold a variant of the Bluebird 510 with Dana 30 axle and J15 and J16 motors.
Shocking, but better than no Datsuns at all.

Read his report on Datsun1200.com: Mr_Z's report on Datsuns in Mexico

Mexico got the 720 the same time the US did, in 1980. And yes they used the J16 well into the 80s. The '87-on Mexitrucks LOOK kinda like 720s, but they aren't- they just have the outer-rail bed like the '83-84 720 had, not the smooth-sided "American" bed (which was pretty much just used in the US/Canada- the rest of the world STILL uses external-rail beds)

• 1 month later...

Hey, I just read this! Anyway, specifically, what area of Mexico were You in? Did You notice wrecking yards? Cool find on the bubble window! That should have fit nicely in Your long clothes bag!!!

upholstery in a vacant lot?....Oh sorry i read two post at once...i am going back to my nap now....

Mexico! Good place to get upholstery work done. I don't know why, but even the best upholtererererers up here are hispanic! Love 'em.. very talented!

Just ask these guys:lol:16225.jpg

hahahahaha thats what i was thinking!

steroid, i was in Zacatecas, Mexico..... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere when i took these pics. i drove from los angeles, through arizona and crossed the border in columbus, new mexico. it was about a 30 hour drive through the mexican countryside to get to Zacatecas. on the way there were datsuns in almost every town and plenty of wrecking yards. i saw lots of 510s (1st and 2nd gen) and 620s both on the streets and in wrecking yards. its very common for mexicans to buy a truck here in the US and take it back to their hometown. i saw lots of chevy c10s, ford pickups, chevy luvs and toyota pickups (even a brand new hilux!) out there as well. its technically illegal to bring vehicles into mexico like that, but since so many people do it the mexican DMV does have a process for registering these vehicles. i didnt see too many of them fixed up or restored. most looked like they were barely running. theyre just daily drivers out there.

but back to the wrecking yards, theyre everywhere. im sure you can find some close to the US border. i wouldnt be too surprised if you found some fontana style trucks in those yards as i saw a lot of them driving around.

I only saw one Datsun when I was down there, and it was a 620. I still took a picture of it though.

But, on the topic of Datsuns in other countries... were they ever sold in Europe? I wonder how many it would be possible to find there...

whats a fontana style?

P1010254.jpg

DJ I've talked with Steroid a few times about going down to Tijuana & hitting up a few yards just to see whats down there. Not sure how we'd go about brining parts back across the border if we found anything. Im a few minutes from the border anyways so who knows...ill make sure i bring my camera if we go :D

i have no clue what the laws are about doing that. i would only guess that if you tried to trailer anything back to the US you may have a problem, but if its something small enough to fit in the trunk of your car or SUV, then they probably wont even notice or care at the border. i do know someone that went down to rosarito to buy a bunch of furniture and cabinets for their kitchen and drove them back up here to los angeles. ill ask them how they did it or if there was any trouble at the border. i think you are supposed to declare anything you purchased in mexico and are bringing back to the US in order to pay taxes.

i end up down that way in tijuana once in a great while, so ill look out for some yards. i havent seen any yet, but thats because i usually dont go outside the downtown area