My cinco-dos-uno

0.C.

Hi ya'll!

Well, it was about time to introduce myself and my truck.

A little background about me, my name is Omar but people just call me O.C. (my initials),I'm 20 years old, I was born and raised in Mexico; my dad used to have a 71 510 4 door back in the day, I loved that thing I learned how to drive in it and at the age of 13 I used to take it to the school, even though my classmates would make fun of me (damn high class Mexican people), I was proud of riding it.

A few years later my dad had to sell his cars to move to California.He started working at a Hot rod shop, I used to go do some volunteer work at the shop since I was 14 and couldn't be hired. Two years later I found out that High School sucks and dropped out to take independent study so I could have more time to work on cars, take a few Automotive classes.

By the age of 18 I had my Automotive Emissions & EFI certification, Brakes and Front end and a Electronics certifications, issued by the Orange County School District.

Working with Domestic classic cars is pretty satisfactory but I knew something was missing, I needed to have a Datsun so my search started for a 510 but those found on ebay were way out my budget; until one day a guy calls me, he needed me to detail his car, I went, he gave me $100 bucks so I could buy the material and get started, I was done with the car 2 days after but he wouldn't pay me for my labor, I gave him a week, 2 weeks, until he stopped answering my calls.Then I dropped by his house, he explained me that he had some problems and couldn't pay me, but he had a Datsun truck in his backyard, I asked him if it was for sale, he said he had no intentions to sell it, but he needed to pay me somehow. So we made the deal, I went to grab some gas to fill up the tank, oil and brake fluid. The truck would die at every light, 2 blocks away from my house I saw white smoke coming out of the exhaust, I still drove it to my house.

Later that week, I sent the head to the machine shop, installed a new gasket, rebuild the hitachi carb and got it running.

It cost me less than $100 bucks to get it running, and I would say the truck it self cost me $250 because that's what the OP owed me.

Forgot to tell you, once I drove the 521, I felt that what was missing in my mind, was filling up everytime I would gas the truck. I was feeding that Datsun addiction I got ever since I learned how to drive.

So, this is what I have done to my truck so far.It hasn't been much after 1 year and a half because it's my daily driver and I only work part time due to I go to welding school at night, therefore I'm pretty much broke.

Motor

-Electric fuel pump

-Delco Remi alternator (meant to be for a Ford 302)

Interior

-Power windows

-Autoloc remote system with engine starter and a power window module.

Suspension

-3 inch lowering blocks in the rear with 2 leaf springs removed.

-Cranked torsions (forgot how many inches but it looks even)

Body

-Smaller smoked fender lights

-Shaved antenna, passenger's door lock, hood emblem.

-Hopefully it will be primered black this week.

What I plan to do in the future

Drop an SR20DET, z32 IRS, S13 Front spindles with struts.

But this will be until I'm done with school, so I can get paid more and grow my budget. hopefully by this summer I'll be done with school.

Now here are some pictures of my 521.

Picture1846.jpg

This was taken 3 months after I got it, I got rid of the camper it had, people said that I looked like a pedophile riding it, also removed the AC system inside the cab, removed bar on the bumper and handles behind the cab.

Picture2147.jpg

Steps were also removed and given away to a ratsun member.

So this is where I'm at now, partially sanded. I grab a can of Paint remover the other day and the original paint fell off with a little help of the wind.

I swear I took longer sanding off the fenders than the cab and the bed.

Picture2199.jpg

Picture2198.jpg

Picture2197.jpg

Picture2196.jpg

Picture2194.jpg

Picture2192.jpg

Hopefully I will get it black primered by this weekend, if it doesn't rain anymore.I'll post some updated pics by the weekend.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your input.the trailer thing was a bad idea. My truck had a bumper with a ball hitch. I hooked it up to the trailer, pulled up nicely, towed the car about 3 miles to my house but when backing up into my driveway the braket on the bumper broke and dented the left side of the bed (check picture above) and it also bent the tailgate.

I just noticed on the pictures that my license plates are pretty faded away, no wonder I got pulled over last time, the cop said that he couldn't read the rear plate cause the light was off, I got home and checked if the plate light was out but no, it was on.

Thanks guys for your comments.

I was discussing with my dad about the hooks, I don't really like them since my pants' pockets always get hooked on them, but I guess they come in handy when I have to pick up parts at work.

It's been raining all day here and haven't done much to it. I was just getting a few dents off, brought a portapower and pulled out the dent on the bed, the bed is going to have a lot of bondo, If i could only find a bed in a better condition.

Also forgot to mention that I also shaved the passenger's side miror.

Found a couple of old pictures on my cellphone.

When I had those huge mirrors, that were only great to find out if the chick in the next car had acne.

Picture11.jpg

Stock height

Picture12.jpg

Thanks guys for your comments.

I was discussing with my dad about the hooks, I don't really like them since my pants' pockets always get hooked on them, but I guess they come in handy when I have to pick up parts at work.

QUOTE]

If you lower the truck a couple more inches the hooks will be below your pockets. Problem solved and you get to keep the hooks.

Jason

I heat shrinked my bed on my 62 willys. It is a single wall bed as well. Its not to hard. Take a torch and heat up a spot till it gets bright orange. About the size of a penny. Then you take a wet rag and cool it off fast. This pulls the metal tight. It works Awsome.

So with all this rain from last week, and my landlord's notice to move out by Jan 31st I had to rush everything and didn't come out as I would expect.

Here are some pics.

At first I just primered the core support so I could put back the lights in case it was gonna rain and had to take it to my work and finish it there.

Picture2205.jpg

Picture2206.jpg

The next day was sunny, so I finished up doing the body work on the bed and had it ready to primer, luckily a friend dropped by and helped me.

Picture2207.jpg

Me primering the truck

Picture2208.jpg

I'm ashamed of this picture

Picture2210.jpg

Pretty much done.

Picture2211.jpg

Picture2212.jpg

Picture2214.jpg

Picture2215.jpg

At the new house.I'm gonna miss the old double garage.

Picture2216.jpg

And at my work, where I finish putting on the front parking lights because the bolts where so rusted that they snapped.

01-31-08_1124.jpg

by the way, does this Excursion make my truck smaller?

I didn't want to put the moldings that go on the fenders around the head lights, neither the hood molding.

The hood molding was in decent condition so I didn't trow it away, If anyone wants it here, shoot me a PM.

What I have in mind doing next.

primer the inside.

Apply bedliner

Find a tailgate

Remake the core support where the blinkers are, (it was really dented and has a good ammount of bondo).Also I wanna get smaller LED blinkers.

Custom make a nice air damn and remove the bumper.

Yeah, I'm going to miss the old house. And at my work we are pretty busy ATM that I can't store it there.

I'm going to keep it flat for a couple of months, I'm planing on patching the heater holes and paint the engine compartment.

I'm still undecided on what color I wanna paint the whole truck, its either black with blue pearl or some type of midnight blue.