I wanna talk about this car

Xander_42

Check out the fifteen pages of build pics here:

http://www.0-4factory.com/510DRAG-1.htm

2007.9.30-4shiraoi.jpg

Alright, so it appears to be a Japanese build Bluebird Coupe drag car. Makes sense. What I don't get though, and I want you guys to weigh in on/tell me if I'm way off base, is this: why is it N/A? They put in a (I'm guessing big) 6 cyl L-series, and I'm guessin it's built too. Again, makes sense.

But here's what I don't get, if you putting a built 3.2 liter (max-ish) with what 400 horsepower, why build it into an out and out drag car, with a crazy titanium 6-1 header, and a HUGE automatic tranny (presumably a drag specific tranny), but that can't be making enought power to really justify an all out dag car (in my opinion). So why did they do it, to make a badass Bluebird? Check. The only thing I can think is they wanna go bracket racing, and didn't want to make the car too fast. My other thought, was maybe they want to start slow or they had money trickling in over time and they just wanted to get the car running, but if that's the case, I'd expect a single carb or some SUs, not a nice ITB setup, also, you wouldn't make a ti header if you were just gonna turbo the car (S/C, ok).

Discuss (or don't, your call...).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes its a case of just doing it cos you can

having the skills to put something together with that kind of precision, and having the knowledge and the ability to apply that knowledge to whatever you want, however you want... who says it needs to be something everyone else thinks is worthwhile? how much fun would it be to go nuts with lobsterbacking titanium for a manifold, just cos you can! spending all that time on something you wouldnt normally be allowed to (say if you did it for a living, and noone would pay the labour for you to be so particular)

its a serious bit of work though thats for sure :D

Artists. I flipped thru a few other build albums and these guys seem to really know their schit. Artists of the L. Kinda hurts to see a Coupe sliced up like that, but where would it be now if they didn't pull it outta the weeds. Probably still in the weeds.

-B

But here's what I don't get, if you putting a built 3.2 liter (max-ish) with what 400 horsepower, why build it into an out and out drag car

in Japan there getting waaaaay higher HP numbers out of L6's than we are.

theres a whole highly technical thread on it at hybridZ.

What is this bit of oldschool mechanical magic here?? hahaha

LENCO-1.jpg

from the pics it looks like some sort of drag trans that dosent disengauge the gear and go into a new one but just keeps engaging a new gear without having to push in the clutch and shift.

from the pics it looks like some sort of drag trans that dosent disengauge the gear and go into a new one but just keeps engaging a new gear without having to push in the clutch and shift.

.. or since it's a series of what looks to be gear reducers, could it be possible that it functions by starting out in a low gear, then disengaging gears until you reach direct? Just a thought..

Skib, what kinda power are they getting out of NA L6s? I mean, if they were managing to push 140hp/L (that's really high for an NA race motor), that's still only 448hp on a 3.2L stroker. But that would probably be enought to justify this build, given that the car is probably pretty light (any idea on the weight, guesses, translations?).

Let me say, for the record: I'm not saying I don't dislike it, I LOVE IT! I just don't understand it.

I didn't see the video either, I gotta run, but if you guys haven't found it by the next time I check, I'll go looking for it.

Skib, what kinda power are they getting out of NA L6s? I mean, if they were managing to push 140hp/L (that's really high for an NA race motor), that's still only 448hp on a 3.2L stroker. But that would probably be enought to justify this build, given that the car is probably pretty light (any idea on the weight, guesses, translations?).

Ill have to go find the HBZ thread.

weve been working on trying to figure out what exactly there doing to get the HP they are.

alot of the ones weve looked at are all highly enginered motors in full on drag race S30's

Think I found it (or at least one of them):

HBZ thread

I found a video, it's the same guys, doing some Japanese drag racing:

3:20, is about the best part of that video, I just wish they followed the other car, not the one that almost crashed.

I didn't watch the whole video to see if the Bluebird shows up, but it's their cars. And yeah, those cars are quick.

Hmmm, interesting. My Datsun guru was mentioning something about straightening the ports on an L head, angle cutting it and so forth and there was a rebello head project where they made 240 hp out of an L16, but it was just massive massive work and the rules outlawed the radical change of the original head shortly after they had made it. Kind of like that two front turn wheels racecar (was it Lemans?) that spanked everyone and they outlawed two turning wheels in the front the very next year. I saw some pictures in that thread highlighting Pete Brock over on the coast at the car show thing. Can't remember. Anyway, I'm sure it's possible to make sick hp, just like anything else, how much money do you have.

in Japan there getting waaaaay higher HP numbers out of L6's than we are.

theres a whole highly technical thread on it at hybridZ.

Yea I would think with that car and a built L they are knocking on a low 10 car. Thing can't weigh over 2K.