Does this look right

Duncan

I ordered and received this gear reduction starter for my goon. The motor is a L20b and a manual trans. Some of the starters list manual or auto transmissions. This particular one had no designation.

I have NOT pulled the old one out, and won't have time until the weekend. The gear that engages the flywheel barely sticks out of the housing. Is this what the business end of a L20 starter looks like? Thanks!

36604.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered and received this gear reduction starter for my goon. The motor is a L20b and a manual trans. Some of the starters list manual or auto transmissions. This particular one had no designation.

I have NOT pulled the old one out, and won't have time until the weekend. The gear that engages the flywheel barely sticks out of the housing. Is this what the business end of a L20 starter looks like? Thanks!

36604.jpg

Looks like a gear reduction starter to me. That's fine. The stock starter is direct drive. Gear reduction is just that the cranking speed is slightly reduced but it has increased torque or twisting force. This would be excellent with high compression or increased displacement like a 280z/zx or Maxima. My truck L20B had an L24 Maxima gear reduction starter. Have it now on a Z24 motor and love it.

Lsterter001.jpg

Just be sure it's for L series.

There were Z series G/R starters. Actually they will bolt on, but the solenoid is closer to the block because of the L/Z tilt that plagues tranny swaps too. So close that it does not clear the dip stick tube. I hammered mine in closer to the block to get it to work but couldn't get the thick non flexible dip stick in. Had to make a new dip stick out of one of those thin Chevy ones that would pass around the bend..

L series G/R will fit the Z motors no problem... see picture above.

Thanks guys. I am aware of the benefits gear reduction starters, I was concerned about the gear engaging the flywheel. I wasn't sure if my starter was for a manual or auto trans. The drive gear barely sticks out of the housing 1/4".

Looks like it will be okay, though. Thanks again!

Duncan: L-Series newbie, A-Series Maven :)

If heard there's a difference between auto/man starters but haven't seen it. Might be some internal parts. I've swapped lots of starters and one must have been from an auto and no problems. Anyone?

The one i swapped came from a auto car.It's now in my stick bell.Interesting enough,there is a well known(and ancient)Alternator/starter rebuild house in town that swears the Datsun GR starters are abad design and will give a short service life.He built me a "High-torque"standard starter and this will be put in,if and when the GR shits the bed.

that swears the Datsun GR starters are abad design and will give a short service life.He built me a "High-torque"standard starter and this will be put in,if and when the GR shits the bed.

Tilton Super starters for chevys are just a Hitachi 280z one with a adapter on the end

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=10&m=s

Tilton doesnt think they are a bad design.

the standard starters are fine IMHO. they alot cheaper also. just depends who rebuilds them.

the standard starters are fine IMHO. they alot cheaper also. just depends who rebuilds them.

According to the NAPA website, the one I purchased is a rebuilt Hitachi starter. It was rather cheap as far as GR starters go, IMHO..

Starter OE Manufacturer : Hitachi

Starter Type : Offset Gear Reduction

Starter Voltage : 12 Volt

# Starter Teeth : 9

Dimension : 297 x 156 x 130 mm

Starter Kilowatt Rating : 1.4 kW

Starter Polarity : Negative

Starter Rotation : Clockwise

Application Information:

1979 Datsun 620

Engines : 2.0 L 1952 CC L4 SOHC

Comments: w/ 1.4 Kilowatt Starter;Hitachi Type