Screw it, I'm just going to tear it down.

metalmonkey47

Decided i was going to take my car on the street again today after making some carb adjustments. I just so happened to look underneath and this is what I see...

Photo0119.jpg

Yeah, thats fucking oil running out of the exhaust. Me and my dad decided we're going to rip the engine out in a week or so and re-ring it and shitttt.dry.gif

My question is, do I really need to have the crank miked and machined? I want to put new bearings in the bottom end, but my dads telling me if I'm going to replace bearings, it's going to have to be machined with oversized bearings. Do i need to worry about replacing bearings and machining? I really don't have a lot of money for this kind of stuff right now. I'm trying to do minimal work here, but replace everything that's going to be a problem. I don't want to see more issues in the future.

What would you guys recommend doing while I have the engine out? I've already rebuilt the top end. Theres also very little cylinder ridge so it shouldn't need to be boored. Just a fresh hone. Again, I'm trying to to spend a few hundred dollars here. I'm poor.

Edited by metalmonkey47
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if the crank and journals are still in spec theres no need to machine them.

and yes, give the cyl a quick hone since its getting new rings too.

That's what I was thinking.

Are there any internals that I need to look at changing?

I had oil running out the exhaust once. It wasn't bad rings, it was EXTREME flooding. Of course, this was EFI... half the injectors were getting a constant ground, leaving them wide open all the time. Thinned the oil out to where it just ran out the exhaust. It actually ran OUT the tailpipe. When it would start, the smoke was unbelievable.

But are you sure that's not oil dripping ON the exhaust? Bad rings won't put liquid oil out the exhaust, but it's possible that bad valve guides will.

And no, you don't HAVE to have the crank machined, but you do need to mic it to make sure it's in spec. Usually they have to be machined if they have bad grooves OR are worn out-of-round.

Yeah, theres no doubt it's oil. And it's coming out the exhaust for sure. It's all over in my tail pipe. When I have the manifold off before to replace the head bolts that i suspected may be it, I had liquid oil running out of the tail pipe. It's got about 50PSI of compression on average. I suspect that it may be a stuck oil ring. The engine has over 200k miles on it and doesn't seem to have been cared for in its past life so I figure the best thing to do would be rebuild it.

But are you sure that's not oil dripping ON the exhaust? Bad rings won't put liquid oil out the exhaust, but it's possible that bad valve guides will.

And no, you don't HAVE to have the crank machined, but you do need to mic it to make sure it's in spec. Usually they have to be machined if they have bad grooves OR are worn out-of-round.

50 psi compression is not good...I would have the head looked at also.....:cool:

I suppose that the oil rings could be so worn out that it was passing liquid oil, but you would have a dead cylinder. The spark plug on that cylinder would be coated. If the cylinder wasn't dead it'd be burning the oil, not exiting as liquid. With enough oil to come out the tailpipe, you'd be making clouds the envy of WWII destroyers on smokescreen duty.

And it wouldn't be a simple stuck ring. Broken ring, maybe, but the cylinder would be trashed.

Why don't you just sell this car while it still drives???........ the engine bay looks clean...... polish up the paint and get rid of the headache.....

I don't reccomend spending every last dollar on a Datsun........ when you turn 24 and you still are spending too much time/money on it... you will wish you sold it and bought a Honda

Why don't you just sell this car while it still drives???........ the engine bay looks clean...... polish up the paint and get rid of the headache.....

I don't reccomend spending every last dollar on a Datsun........ when you turn 24 and you still are spending too much time/money on it... you will wish you sold it and bought a Honda

blasphemy!

Thats my biggest thought right now. I'm just not so sure I want to get rid of it. It's my first real car and I love it to death, but at this point I'm considering posting it up on craigslist. Just not sure what to ask for it. I don't want to give up on it. But at this point it may not be worth spending much more money on.

blasphemy!

He has a good point Skib. I could sell this thing and make a decent amount of money. hitch has a 620 that he spoke to me about selling for $900 or so that may be a much better choice here. I don't think a 210 is ever going to be worth as much as I want it to be. Spending much more money on it at this point is stupid.

I had my 510 on ebay in 2004.... (when I was 19) ....... it was my first car.... .. "loved" it ... blah blah blah

I still regret not selling it....... I coulda gone to college.... . I coulda been a baller ........ but I wasted all my time and money on a fuckin Datsun!!!!

Well, all I really need is a reliable Datsun. If I can drive it, then hell yeah! I just think I've gone too far with this car. Too many projects at once. It's almost finished, the engine is just holding me back

He has a good point Skib. I could sell this thing and make a decent amount of money. hitch has a 620 that he spoke to me about selling for $900 or so that may be a much better choice here. I don't think a 210 is ever going to be worth as much as I want it to be. Spending much more money on it at this point is stupid.

lol he told you to buy a Honda!

should get something with an L series :lol:

What do all 4 plugs look like???? Is it one cylinder doing this? All of them???

50 psi may be damaged piston(s) to allow that much through.

Sure it isn't the back of the valve cover gasket dribbling oil down onto the pipes??? Damn smoke much??????

What do all 4 plugs look like???? Is it one cylinder doing this? All of them???

50 psi may be damaged piston(s) to allow that much through.

Sure it isn't the back of the valve cover gasket dribbling oil down onto the pipes??? Damn smoke much??????

The plugs are brand new as of 2 days ago and are black and oil fouled. Clevite has a re-ring kit for $118 including gaskets and bearings, but I think I'm going to sell it and get a 620 thats in much better shape and drive that until I can afford something to screw around in.

The oil is definitely coming out the exhaust. I put an old sock over the tail pipe and started it and the sock was full of oil within seconds. I checked around the engine and there was no sign of it seeping.

I'm going to get a video of the smoke tomorrow. But seriously, it does smoke like a goddamn WWII destroyer :rofl:

who is to say the 620 wont have the same issue in 6mos???

re-ring it and shitttt.

My question is, do I really need to have the crank miked and machined? I want to put new bearings in the bottom end, but my dads telling me if I'm going to replace bearings, it's going to have to be machined with oversized bearings. Do i need to worry about replacing bearings and machining? I really don't have a lot of money for this kind of stuff right now. I'm trying to do minimal work here, but replace everything that's going to be a problem. I don't want to see more issues in the future.

a few hundred dollars and youll have a motor ready to go 100K mi!!!

mic the crank (rods and main) for the tolerances:

in spec = new bearings, maybe a polish.

out of spec = machine and then new bearings.

if the bores are damaged from the rings then a bore a new pistons... $$

the top end is done, so w/o machine work, your looking under $100 + gaskets

timing set was replaced w/the top end??? time for new if not.

new freeze plugs. i have steel set avail(i used brass ;) )

So I got good news! cool.gif

I got the car on the road the other day, and my car was smoking like a beast. i actually drove it over an hour around town and she eventually quit smoking completely! Haven't run it since, but I'm going to run a compression test again later when the rain stops and see whats up twofinger_salute.gif

dude dont sell your truck!!!! these engines are the worlds easiest to work on, it would be a good learning lesson and you would feel alto better abotu it in the end. it would be a good chance for you to experience working inside an engine and it would be a great experience for a father son re build!!!!! dotn sell it, build it!! trust me its worth it.