• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats struts you have? stock

then ROTA RB +25mm 195/50 15 tires will work

+15 in 15x6 fit really good also.

the front you can lower cut so many coil then it rides on the bump stops (a 71 has the tallest strut of all the years made)and if you have a L16 it will kill alternator bolts ,shearing them in the mount. L18L20 use the bigger bolts.

Best to have some suspension. Be lieve me. hitting a stell plate will kill soemthing.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

2 to 2 1/2 coils out of the front.

1 to 1 1/2 out of the rear

2 front and 1 rear,Its still drives decent not bottoming out..

But I suggest at least doing either in 1/2 coil increments for you own desired stance.

fine print,lol,dont fuck it up

2 to 2 1/2 coils out of the front.

1 to 1 1/2 out of the rear

2 front and 1 rear,Its still drives decent not bottoming out..

But I suggest at least doing either in 1/2 coil increments for you own desired stance.

fine print,lol,dont fuck it up

(ollz at fine print ^^^) :lol:

I wouldnt do it unless you dont mind a shitty ride and it bottoming out all the time. I chopped two coils off my fronts and it rides like shit and is still not low enough. I only chopped them because I was bored. I have since bought coilovers but they are not installed yet.

meh i dont mind bottoming out over the train tracks but over LIL shit is no bueno!

Again, it all depends on how slammed we are talking. The ride height that my 510 is at wouldn't be achievable with just cutting the springs. Both the front and rear suspension would be on the bumpstops.

Cutting a coil will actually make the spring stiffer but you will be lower a couple of inches. But softer or stiffer, driving along on level road you will hit things such as raised manhole lids or foreign objects much easier that an uncut spring will. This is true of speed bumps too. This is a slight exaggeration but you can see what I mean. Driving at speed through a dip in the road is different as the car will squat lower on compressed springs. Because the spring is shorter and the car lower the squat can cause it to bottom out. Riding on or very close to the rubber bump stops produces a bouncy ride. Any shortening of the springs or struts will affect the camber. Camber is the in or out tilting of the top of the tire as viewed from the front. Reducing the ride height will tilt the tire tops inward. Bad camber will place the weight of the front end toward the inner edges of the tire. This is to be avoided for three reasons, four if you include how stupid it looks. It affects handling because of decreased tire contact to the road, it wears the edge of the tire bald and a lowered suspension alters the steering geometry causing the car to veer when driving through dips or over high points on the road. This is known as bump steer. This also affects the rear just as much. Hard cornering compresses the outer rear spring and will cause the tire to toe out. As soon as the tire does that it starts to steer the car from the rear. Some slight camber is beneficial and is set for stock ride height by the factory design. Too low a ride height can also cause the strut shock to bottom out and damage it.

Not saying not to lower your car, but do so knowingly so you are not disappointed by the results. Ride height can be done properly and some of the bad side effects avoided but it isn't a cheap fix. Best to lower as little as possible so the problems are as little as possible. Remember once cut it can't be put back.

Cheap lowering job = damaged exhaust system, hole in oil pan, worn out expensive tires, bad handling. Lets face it most lowering is for the look and nothing else.

I ended up cutting 3.5 coils when I was on my stock struts and springs. It wasn't nearly as low as I'd liked it to be and it rode and handled like poop, but it got the job done for a minute. I replaced with zx struts and adj coilovers a few months later. If you're not going to replace the suspension parts with something of quality (and preferrably adjustability) then really think about this, because I don't think you can "slam" a 510 without proper aftermarket parts. As mentioned in the posts above, go half coil increments until you're content.

I ended up cutting 3.5 coils when I was on my stock struts and springs. It wasn't nearly as low as I'd liked it to be and it rode and handled like poop, but it got the job done for a minute. I replaced with zx struts and adj coilovers a few months later. If you're not going to replace the suspension parts with something of quality (and preferrably adjustability) then really think about this, because I don't think you can "slam" a 510 without proper aftermarket parts. As mentioned in the posts above, go half coil increments until you're content.

I think ima do 2 in front and 1 in back and see how i like it and if i dont ima do 3 in front how far did u go in the back?