Looking for someone to swap a cam out for me

Not to derail the OP's cam swap thread, but that is great info for us 4-speeders. My car is screaming doing 70 on the freeway a few ticks under 4K RPM and I always wonder "is it gonna blow?" :lol:

No way! The L series was designed back in the mid '60s. Over engineered is the term. Strong cast iron block, fully counter weighted crank well supported of 5!!! large main bearings, good oiling system, double chain (not belt) driven OHC design. It's way stronger than needed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Local shop here is charging me 175 but won't let me watch them change it.

I have a electronic tach off a MG IIRC, Veglia or something like that reads fine at low rpms not sure if it's 100% at higher rpms.

Not sure what's wrong with the truck but it has plenty of power in fifth on the hwy but don't want to push it and end up having to rebuild it.. as it's my one and only Daily Driver at the moment since my civic took a dump.

I've driven it plenty on the freeway but don't feel comfortable doing it.

So for another $75.00 you get to learn something. Not a bad deal in my book. But you would have to drive it here. :(

Oh yea and listen to datsunmike. These L motors are made to take a beating.

Hell I run my Z car at the track tapping the rev limiter all day long.7200RPM. I built that motor like 10 years ago. And it still pulls hard. Blows a little smoke but runs fine.

You can drive that truck all day in the freeway with no problems. I did when I had it, it is a bit loud but like others have already said these engines can easily handle high rpms, shit my friend thrashes his 510's L16 at 7000 rpm all day long.

yea what he said.

Why have it if your not going to drive it. And why put a cam in when your afraid to drive it.

Never said i was afraid to drive it, it's my daily driver there isn't a day i don't drive it.

Said i felt uncomfortable on the freeway but seeing as how you guys said it was cool to run it how it was i'll reconsider driving it on the freeway more frequently.

My 710 has a 4.11 in it and you should hear it scream on the highway! Goes into second within a car length and it's easy not to notice. Revs and goes into third by the other side of the intersection and then just keeps revving and revving. I keep waiting for it to shift but it doesn't. :lol:

On the way home from Canby I got it to 90MPH. For fun I worked out the revs for a 165 80R 13 tire..... it was 5,288 RPMs assuming no slip in the auto tranny.

Never said i was afraid to drive it, it's my daily driver there isn't a day i don't drive it.

Said i felt uncomfortable on the freeway but seeing as how you guys said it was cool to run it how it was i'll reconsider driving it on the freeway more frequently.

Treat it like a race engine if freeway driving. Check the oil and water level more often and watch the gauges more. On one of my cross Canada trips in my 620 I was climbing this mountain, I was in 3rd and it was a long hill. The truck weighs 3,400 lbs. After 20 min I look down and it's been at 5,000 the whole time. Just amazing.

I didn't build it at all. :P

PO did.

I just tossed a weber and cold-air set-up on it engine wise.

I've got 15x9.5s 205/60/R15s on the truck nowhere near stock sizing hehehe. :)

Speedo doesn't work so i'm not sure what i can top it out at.

I didn't really notice a difference in acceleration/ill effects when i swapped out the wheels, previous wheels were 14x6 185/75/R14 IIRC steel wheels.

Hi there ratsun folk, you guys are revving maniacs, I have a L20B with a W53 closed chamber head with 260Z valves in it, and dual SUs, I have never seen anything over 5000rpm in 4th or 5th gear, I am running 437 gears. Fact is, I am not sure there is any useful power left after 5000rpm in my engine, be aware, I run the shit out of it everyday, admittedly I haul a lot of weight daily, but when I get rid of the trailer, and throw all the roof/gutter debris off at the recyclers, that truck goes like hell, if you ever see a 521 flatbed dually pass you like your sitting still, that'd be me. Does the L20B have a longer stroke crank than the L16? Is the L16 more like the A15 than the L20B? I have run an A block over 7000rpm before, but not a L20B. Please enlighten me. wayno

Does the L20B have a longer stroke crank than the L16? Is the L16 more like the A15 than the L20B? I have run an A block over 7000rpm before, but not a L20B. Please enlighten me. wayno

ill post all the numbers tomorrow. im half asleap atm