Project FTO

Yello, yes, I did notice the sway bar almost fit correctly. Like you said, the end link was at a little bit of an angle. Not bad, but I figure I'd try the disc brake 620 one and see if it's better (unless you tell me it is the same :mellow: ) With how stiff the truck rides, I did not even notice it missing! As for the sump, yes, the sump came from the same Kia and I drilled out the spot welds at the wreckers. The stupid wreckers out here punch a hole in the tanks to drain them, rendering them useless, but will charge you $$$ for them, so I just drill them out and get them for like $5.

Mark

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark

I doo not know if the 521 and 620 bars are the same, but the same problem arises when the conversion is done on a 620.

As far as the fuel tank, the wreckers around here do the same thing, put holes in them. They do it to the oil pans too. I am really liking the idea of that sump system, i am wanting to do an intake pump and the sump has been one of my issues against doing it. Keep us posted on how it works.

Does the Kia pump put out the correct pressure and volume for your application?

I do not forsee any issues with the install. I have done this same type of conversion on a few other cars I own with thousands of trouble free miles. The best part of this is when the fuel level gets low or making a hard corner, you will not run into air pockets when fuel slosh uncovers the pickup tube when using an external pump. The sump keeps the pump inlet full due to the volume of the sump and the fact the return line dumps into the sump also. I am confident the pump puts out sufficient pressure and volume for a stock KA-E.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Well, did not get what I wanted to get done in order to take it down to Solvang for the Roadster show, but I pretty much got those things done this weekend. On the the pics.

Managed to score a basically new fuel filler hose from Rod. Still nice and soft.

2308338480070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Finished the sound deadner installation.

2292850910070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2457024190070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

And the insulation. The combination quieted the interior down nicely!

2630250960070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2428771650070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Installed the seats and console.

2619249100070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Made up new door cards and kick panels. I also made a panel for the rear of the cab, but forgot to take a pic.

2283355020070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2828974550070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2942632860070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Now, it's just a matter of getting it down to my upholstery guy and get everything covered! I finifshed it off by spending some time with the buffer and compounds. Can't really see it, but she polished up pretty nice considering it's almost 40 year old paint.

2443460580070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2756712940070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2364157450070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2756949090070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Until next time.

Mark

• 4 months later...

Been workng on other projects recently, but spent some time on the 521 today. First thing I did was mount up a Grant steering wheel I picked up at a swap meet a few months back. Grant does not make a 521 specific hub adapter anymore, and I was advised that the one for the later trucks, while they will physically bolt on, would leave a large gap between the hub and column cover. What to do? Well, the stock steering wheel was shot so I figure I'll make my own hub adapter from that! I'll let you decide how the end result is, as I have not seen one with a later model Grant hub adapter. Also, seems my camera did not capture a couple pics, and I did not feel like taking the wheel apart again. Hopefully my description will suffice. :lol:

Steering wheel cut down to only the hub.

2156018700070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

What I did at this point was to basically cut it in half around the center spline for 2 reasons. 1 was to get the wheel as far away from me as possible and 2 to get a flat surface in which to mount the wheel spacer. I used a 1" spacer Grant sells in place of the 2" one the wheels come in the box with. I then drilled and tapped the *new* hub adapter to take the Grant spacer. Here is a side shot of the completed assembly. The silver is the former stering wheel and the black is the spacer.

2717534370070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

And from the front.

2782573680070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

I also got around to swapping in a 3.7 diff I got during a 1/2 price day at pick and pull back n May. Seems to have lowered the highway rpm's nicely without affecting the acceleration too much. Not bad for a day's work.

Mark

Just read the thread, very nice work. What are you planning on doing for carpet?

Thanks

Jeff

Eventually have an upholstery shop do it.

dude this is exactly what im doing. please elabotare on the motor mounts man.... have any pics???? did you remove the power steering pulley from the main?

No pics of the mount mods. I could have actually used them as is if I could have lived with the small difference in angle. Basically, I cut the engine mount vertically, did a slight pie cut, and rewelded. I specifically did not put detailed pics as not too many people swap in a single cam AND a slushbox. I did remove the PS pulley from the crank. Cut it off from the inside with a die grinder and cutoff wheel.

I reaad the entire thread but didn't see what lower control arms you used or what spindles.

620 lower arm with a 720 spindle.

I've had grease under my cuticles since before I had pubic hair. I've seen and built the best for nearly four decades. I do not give praise lightly~ as it impresses me more the depth of one's knowledge and effort rather than the thickness of their wallet. As a member of more forums than I've got fingers (and maybe toes) I have to say that your attention to detail, without spending cubic dollars on chrome/stainless/high-tech goodies, rivals the best I've seen. I humbly tilt my hat to you, sir.....

Peace~

Scott

I've had grease under my cuticles since before I had pubic hair. I've seen and built the best for nearly four decades. I do not give praise lightly~ as it impresses me more the depth of one's knowledge and effort rather than the thickness of their wallet. As a member of more forums than I've got fingers (and maybe toes) I have to say that your attention to detail, without spending cubic dollars on chrome/stainless/high-tech goodies, rivals the best I've seen. I humbly tilt my hat to you, sir.....

Peace~

Scott

:o I can honestly say have never had anyone pay such a high compliment and appreciate the hat tip.

Mark

I am bored I guess. Working on re-linking pics. Got the 1st page done. By the way, still have the truck and she is still going strong. Made a trip from Hollister Ca. to Roseburg Or. towing a 4x8 trailer and bed full of tools/parts back in April with no problem. It did not like pulling up a couple of the steep grades, but the slowest it got down to was 45mph and not a sign of overheating.