Project FTO

Got some more work done today. Decided to tackle the back end of the truck.

New brake parts. Dirt cheap on closeout from Rock Auto.

WccKaY.jpg

And installed. Freshly turned drums.

X6sS2A.jpg

New brake hose.

4kkt1G.jpg

Also set about lowering the back. Got these brand new Belltech 2" blocks off fleabay for $4!

hyBMMf.jpg

Bumpstops trimmed.

DT1Nua.jpg

Blocks installed.

v9QjEU.jpg

Ordered new shocks for the front and back, should get them tomorrow. I plan on making some headway on the front end tomorrow. Got some of the stuff painted today and hope to get some of the other parts cleaned and painted.

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dang mark i musta forgot your're here at ratsun too?

where are you not is the question haha

cool project btw

(although i must confess i almost believed i'd see a galant fto before i clicked on it)

:lol: I think there are a few you have not found me at yet! I've got a diverse collection as you know, and ya gotta go to where the info is. ;) Cool peeps that share the passion help too! :thumbup: I would LOVE to find a Mits FTO for sure. Or GTO. Maybe someday.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some time to get back on this. Pics tell the story.

Cleaned up the outside frame rails and painted.

Xemgwu.jpg

Replaced the frame bushings (boy, that was a fun experience <_< ), installed the new idler arm and centerlink with new tie rod ends.

w3R2Sr.jpg

Installed upper Beebani arms with 620 ball joint type cross shafts, new bushings/joints along with new tie rod assemblies.

fD1aye.jpg

Assembled the front spindles. Has new rotors/calipers/bearings/seals.

Q8iSjt.jpg

Rear shocks installed.

DAdZaU.jpg

Going to hopefully get the trans tunnel closed up and the shifter mounted tomorrow.

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics
  • 1 month later...

Have not done much since the last post. Did manage to weld up the trans tunnel and started putting down the sound deadner. I've been trying to figure out what to do about wheels and figured I'd see what I could do with the "wagon wheels" that were on there. I sandblasted the wheels, inside and outside, and painted it with duplicolor graphite wheel paint. Added new chrome centercaps and lugs nuts. I actually think these came out looking pretty good for the minimal investment. Cost about $20 per wheel for the refresh.

aCgm3w.jpg

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally finished up the front disc swap. Found out the 521 sway bar does not reach the 620 mount location so now in search of one of those.

17LwJy.jpg

sm55cd.jpg

C5jwmS.jpg

rfRRZF.jpg

N7DgC5.jpg

And back on all 4 wheels. The rear has the 2" blocks and the front torsions are cranked down a little. Not slammed, but a nice stance for a driver.

1UuwMh.jpg

Next up is a new exhaust system and a front end alignment. Still need to get that shifter mounted. Hope to get that mounted up and take her for a spin this weekend and see how she runs.

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics

Finally got around to getting the floor shifter mounted. Started by fabricating a shifter mount to the original floor plate. After that was complete, I welded a cover to close off the original shifter location. Here is the completed piece.

JADDun.jpg

g8Edoi.jpg

After that fun task, I spend a few hours making up a new linkage. It was made difficult by the location of the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Very little room to work between the bolt and the transmission. The only thing left transmission wise is hooking up a kickdown switch. Since the shifter is now hooked up, it was time to take her on her maiden voyage. Did a few laps around the neighborhood and all systems seem to be in order. Engine runs great, trans shifts fine, and brakes work good. I do need to roll the fenders though. Brought it back in the garage and double checked all the bolts and fluid levels. Everything looked good, so I took it down to fill the tank and then dropped it off to get a new exhaust installed. It's still there as he is having a little issue snaking the down pipe around the torsion bars, but told me it would be ready tomorrow. Still lots to complete before hopefully taking it down with my Roadster to Solvang in a month, but at least it is now driveable! ?

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics

First, I got the truck back from the muffler shop Tuesday and they did a good job. Went and got it tagged and now it's legal. Figured I'd take it on it's first road test Thursday down to the Santa Clara meet. 120 mile round trip went well and made notes on some minor issues that arose during the trip. A couple of those items were only half the dash lights working and the fuel gauge working intermittent. So today I went about fixing those and dealing with the fact the factory seam sealer was pretty much gone. The problem with the dash lights and fuel gauge turned out to be a cracked circuit board. A few minutes with a soldergun and that was fixed. Next, I removed what was left of the seam sealer and brushed out the areas with a small ss brush. Here is a pic of the areas brushed out and primed.

u7qedh.jpg

DvJozO.jpg

And with the new seam sealer laid down.

XTiUer.jpg

A32J8N.jpg

While I was doing the seam sealer work, I noticed a gas smell. I looked under the truck and noticed a little dripping from around a previous repair that looked like JB weld or something similar. Decided to drop the tank an see what's doing. Here is a pic of the leaking "repair"

TiZA82.jpg

And the 2 pinholes that are the source of the leak.

RY03tF.jpg

Pretty sure the leak happend due to f'n ethanol in the gas. Anyways, going to cut the bad spot out and weld in a patch. And since the tank is out. I figure now is the time to install an in tank fuel pump setup. Need to figure out what to use as a donor and then get it done.

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics

I have welded on quite a few tanks and know how to do it safely. Actually, just flushing it with water will NOT remove the gas vapors enough to weld safely. I do flush the tank with water a few times, but the key is to have an inert purge, such as nitrogen, fill the tank while welding. No oxygen, no boom.

Mark

Just reread this entire thread again.....beautiful work!!

I haven't checked into it personally, but I'm pretty sure you can have a radiator shop hot tank the gas tank to make it nice and clean for welding.

On 4/3/2011 at 9:09 PM, Ken_B said:

Good deal, Just didnt want the guy with the sweet 521 gettin blowed up ?

:thumbup:

Went to the J/Y Friday and found the donor vehicle for the fuel pump. 97' Kia Sportage. The tank was the closest to the height of the 521 tank (and easiest to remove! :lol: ). The parts, (bonus is it looks like a new pump!)

0OgYKH.jpg

So I started with patching the pinholes in the tank I "found" last week. Cut the bad section out and welded a patch in.

ZJqbUN.jpg

Then, I cut a hole in the top of the tank to weld in the donor mounting ring.Spend a little time here making sure the pump would be clocked so the pump outlets would face the right way and the pump would physically fit in the sump.

XjIYQ6.jpg

Then, I figured the placement of the sump in the tank. This required the stock pickup tube be bent out of the way and the sending unit rotated slightly.

rBtJ2k.jpg

Next was to weld the sump to the bottom of the tank.

YCPJhu.jpg

Now, I could figure how much I needed to shorten the holder assembly. Turns out it needed to be shortened 2 1/4" to fit correctly. (yes, I know there is a clamp missing)

ZoAQ00.jpg

3DEpN8.jpg

Had to plug a hole left by some sort of solenoid.

IZMnZ9.jpg

And how it will look completed. Ran out of gas for my welder. <_<

IESWWP.jpg

Going to get the bottle filled up this week and finish welding it up and installed next weekend. Hopefully it all works out!

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics

Got it all finished up. Pics of the progress,

Finished welding everything up and then took it out for a quick sandblast.

C86O10.jpg

Primed.

nCMMzk.jpg

Painted.

xerksx.jpg

Installed.

JFtPlT.jpg

Filled the tank back and she fired right up. Need to figure out a new filler hose. It had been replaced at some point with straight hose, but that stuff is not flexible and had kinked. I've got leftover mandrel bends from a previous project so I think I can make something out of those and just use some short hose sections to couple it together. I've also been working on buffing the paint out. So far it is shining up nice for 40 year old paint.

Mark

Edited by datsunrides
relink pics

Finally finished up the front disc swap. Found out the 521 sway bar does not reach the 620 mount location so now in search of one of those.

2031486040070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Mark

Mark, when doing the sway bar part of the disc conversion on the 620's, it does not look like it will fit at all when the suspension is hanging(frame on jackstands). But when you set the truck down on the ground, everything kinda levels out and the swaybar fits reasonably well, not perfect, but that is the only option. So you might look at it again with the truck on the ground. The endlinks to the control arms end up at a little bit of an angle like this \/, but not to bad.

Ohh, and that electric fuel pump system looks great too. Did that tank sump come from the kia also? Just drilled out some spot welds to remove it?