Datsun Silvia

fcwankel

So i have a 76 RHD Silvia or 77 200sx in the U.S but whatever. so I hadent started her up for around a couple of months, Just 2 days ago i tried turnin it on but it wouldnt it would idle bt thats about it. I tohught maybe its the carburetors ! I buy car. spray but still nothin..... its an L20B with dual car. webers..... I jjust need to no whats wrong !!!??? please .......

thanks !

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your fuel lines and filter something might have settled and clogged them. Also check for fuel and spark, will it run if you hold your foot on the pedal we need more info.

Well it has half a tank of fuel .

Ill check the fuel liness. filter 1st thing after school tmmorow.

maybe this will help .

ProjectD.Silvia005.jpg

If the car was running just a couple of months ago, I can't imagine much could have gone wrong with the carbs.Can you hear your electric fuel pump running? I don't know if your pump turns on with the key, or if it has a separate toggle switch to turn the pump off and on. If there is a separate switch, the switch may have gone bad. Plugged filter is possible. I had that happen with my '79 200SX this summer. Take the fuel line loose at the carbs, hold it into a coffee can, have someone turn on the key or pump switch and you should get a good stream of gas coming out of the hose. With an electric pump, you shouldn't have to actually crank the engine over to get fuel. Be very careful of fire if you should crank the engine.

I don't know exactly what electronic ignition you have. Could be an ignition problem, but since the engine runs somewhat at idle, I would check for fuel first.

Len

Three things an engine needs to run. Compression, fuel, and ignition. The engine's compression is the most difficult to check, you need a compression gauge. Auto zone sells an ignition tester, you can use it to check for a good spark. There is a chance the timing is way off, but if the engine ran last time you started it, and not now your timing would not change just from sitting. The spark output might. Check it.

One quick check you can do it to try to start the car, and then go and smell the exhaust. Smell gas, and the ignition is might be bad. Do not smell gas, and the carb, or fuel system might be bad.

I do not know if you can see where the accelerator pump squirts gas into the carb, if you can see if the carb squirts gas, that might give you a clue if the engine is getting gas.

Three things an engine needs to run. Compression, fuel, and ignition. The engine's compression is the most difficult to check, you need a compression gauge. Auto zone sells an ignition tester, you can use it to check for a good spark. There is a chance the timing is way off, but if the engine ran last time you started it, and not now your timing would not change just from sitting. The spark output might. Check it.

One quick check you can do it to try to start the car, and then go and smell the exhaust. Smell gas, and the ignition is might be bad. Do not smell gas, and the carb, or fuel system might be bad.

I do not know if you can see where the accelerator pump squirts gas into the carb, if you can see if the carb squirts gas, that might give you a clue if the engine is getting gas.

Yeah i tried the smell trick. I tried starting her up again but still nothin. SO i went to the exhaust and it smelled like pure gas was comin out.

If the car was running just a couple of months ago, I can't imagine much could have gone wrong with the carbs.Can you hear your electric fuel pump running? I don't know if your pump turns on with the key, or if it has a separate toggle switch to turn the pump off and on. If there is a separate switch, the switch may have gone bad. Plugged filter is possible. I had that happen with my '79 200SX this summer. Take the fuel line loose at the carbs, hold it into a coffee can, have someone turn on the key or pump switch and you should get a good stream of gas coming out of the hose. With an electric pump, you shouldn't have to actually crank the engine over to get fuel. Be very careful of fire if you should crank the engine.

I don't know exactly what electronic ignition you have. Could be an ignition problem, but since the engine runs somewhat at idle, I would check for fuel first.

Len

No i had a switch but it gave m that problem so i got an electric fuel pump,when i turn the key i can hear it, also it idles but i know its not the fuel.

A strong gas smell could be two things. First, no spark, the gas does not burn and passes straight throught the engine, and you smell it. It is also possible that the engine is flooded with gas, and the gas is drowning out the spark. Pull out a spark plug, and if it is very wet, the engine is flooded with gas.

Two common causes of flooding, the float could be stuck open, and the fuel level is too high in the carb, and liquid gas is running into the engine. Another cause of flooding, the fuel pressure is too high, and the high fuel pressure is just pushing gas past the needle valve that the float is trying to close.

A strong gas smell could be two things. First, no spark, the gas does not burn and passes straight throught the engine, and you smell it. It is also possible that the engine is flooded with gas, and the gas is drowning out the spark. Pull out a spark plug, and if it is very wet, the engine is flooded with gas.

Two common causes of flooding, the float could be stuck open, and the fuel level is too high in the carb, and liquid gas is running into the engine. Another cause of flooding, the fuel pressure is too high, and the high fuel pressure is just pushing gas past the needle valve that the float is trying to close.

It wasnt that but ill check my plugs anyway.

I checked the fuel line to see if there was fuel flowin and yeah it was alright.

I started it up and its sounded even weaker. the lights in my gauges started to dim so i threw in a jumper and started it up once more and BAM !

It turned on :cool: