1969 lincoln with 79 datto gas tank

My oldest son just turned 15 and he wanted to fix up something to go with his 85 broncoii,so i asked him which car he wanted out of back yard thinking he would say chevelle ,fastback mustang,old celica but he picks

lincoln001.jpg

datsun054.jpg

got it running with some parts that were laying around added brakes off 71 ltd( also in back yard )but having sat since the early eighties it needed a gas tank and that aint cheap so we/he took measurements of trunk hole

boxes006.jpg

i see parts ad on Ratsun for a 79 long bed gas tank and in pictures it looked perfect so pm`d elmerfudpucker and he pm`d back with news that it was half inch shorter than hole so we jammed up to his house and bought it brought it home put it in trunk and WAHLAH!

boxes007.jpg

actual gap is less than 1/4 inch

• Like 11
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next step was to go to harbor freight tool and buy him a 4 inch grinder (of his own)

lincoln002.jpg

Then start barkin orders and takin pictures cause this isn`t his first rodeo and it aint a father/son project (except the brakes because i will have to ride in it while he only has learners permit), ok plan is to weld angle iron on each end of trunk space and bolt tank on each end and maybe have support tubes running length wise for support.so clean up begins

lincoln003.jpg

lincoln004.jpg

lincoln005.jpg

measured down using 2x4 made marks then ground upper and lower marks away for welding

lincoln006.jpg

then ground angle to match,BTW yes i could let him use 7inch grinder to be faster but would your wife let you?

lincoln008.jpg

and since that`s as far as he got heres some random shots of car ,,guess what the windows out of win a free membership to datto heaven

lincoln010.jpg

lincoln013.jpg

lincoln014.jpg

lincoln015.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

Windshield is from a 620.

You cheat Elmer! <_< You already knew! :lol: We've already been to Datto heaven though ;) I stared at one of those in the corner of my garage for a long time before it broke :D Luckily I got 2 buddies who works auto glass, one of which has a brand new one with seal in his garage! Great work on that tank too Bananahamuck, true ratsun ingenuity! :thumbup: I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Between football (JV plays their game and also varsity games if they get ahead by enough points)and cranberry harvest my son can only work on car couple week nights a week..Sooo this is what got done.....After figuring out where to drill holes for hold down bolts he center punched and drilled out holes.Then welded bolts to angle to make it easier to bolt down.

aaaaa023.jpg

notice no gloves or protective garb crying.gifcrying.gif ,,,gimme a moment

aaaaa025.jpg

aaaaa026.jpg

i held it straight while he tacked it then he welded it up and drilled holes for bolts and put them in:OK the welds are sketchy lookin but it`s because of parent figure making him use old rusty metal and the bolts sticking up didn`t help much either.

aaaaa027.jpg

aaaaa028.jpg

aaaaa029.jpg

clearance is about 3" under about 6" in front probably going to put spreader bars but after football ends high school rifle club starts so we`ll see how it goes.

aaaaa030.jpg

was thinking of putting one of these under car but that it seems like overkill. opinions??

aaaaa031.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So im moving wheels around so son can get on fuel pump mounting after football practice for this project and ran one into the other like this

aaaaaaaa019.jpg

BAM!! crap,

aaaaaaaa018.jpg

I think I will go take a nap now,

screw him AND his Lincoln

Braden man,, thanks i`ve been a stay at home parent for fifteen years so working with my boys is like American chopper,without the caring,compassionate father figurelaugh.gif Like i first posted it`s not father son project it`is a dad watch son project. I have seen lots of father,son projects and bought and reassembled and sold more than a few.If you do start a project with your kid (girl or boy) let them help you on a running,driving vehicle and let them screw up (within reason) and make them WATCH you fix their mess.This isn`t his first car but the first "drag it from the back" hopefully this will lead to him helping with a Datsun project that is almost ready to go.

So this is what got done I wanted to isolate electric fuel pump noise, son wanted to just take off mufflersdry.gif,so thought to use a 76 620 motor mount with plate for more mounting surface.
zzzzzzzzz009.jpg
could not find tri-square so used a cassette tape box then he cut sheet and ground it marked holes and drilled for bolts then welded it together
zzzzzzzzz010.jpg
this is JUST before I / he noticed he had been cutting backwards blink.gif didn`t lose any toes or fingers quick reflexes i guesslaugh.gif
zzzzzzzzz011.jpg
zzzzzzzzz013.jpg
zzzzzzzzz014.jpg
finished mount with neoprene and nylon washers with big neoprene gasket
zzzzzzzzz021.jpg
had i guy say this car would be like a pinto (unlikely with frame rails bigger than on my truck) but my son being only sixteen when he gets to drive the car THIS is the end you should be worried about.
zzzzzzzzz016.jpg
then it rained

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Caught a picture of the elusive , teen vurking on hees own car feesh , ( in your best Jaques Cousteau voice ),, or French Canadians just say it normally .

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ139.jpg

Anyway he did some drilling to finally mount pump, although having points, he spent most of the day learning why it wouldn`t start, but he finally did get it .........and yes i am THAT kind of dad.

I believe in the whole teach a person to fish type deal, cuz if i wanted to fix that boat i would have years ago.

More pictures of progress tomorrow.

Guest DatsuNoob

:thumbup: Good to see the boy gettin after it! betcha still aint got that chicken suit yet though, huh? :lol: Tell him to save his allowance and buy pertronix, points suck ;)

• 2 years later...

Zombie thread resurrection

zombie_thread_210_zpsa7e05de8.jpg

I think we may have blown a head gasket today but we are hoping it was a weird thermostat glitch ,, :hmm: Beings the heads weigh 70+ pounds a piece im hoping for the best.

We were trying to get this to the Summer jam in August.

So it might just be the rear freeze plugs rusted out,, they were leaking and we`re gonna replace when we can get them after 4th of July,,, anyway

Here`s a video ,,,,,,,,,,,, throttle is only able to give about half throttle because of angle.

Maybe next time i will keep mouth shut so as to not ingest so much rubber..

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My son cut off both sets of those pesky mufflers  for a more ,,,,,, mellow sound.. Although we started this years ago,,  this is the first time it has run without a gas can strapped to the radiator.. It`s running at high idle to warm it up so can`t really hear cam good till you rev it a tiny bit..