Cylinder Head V912

I ended up with a core engine when I sold my L16. Its a L16.

Its has a head that says "NISSAN" on it like the emblem Nissan used in the 90's. The casting code is V312 (V912 was greasy).

It has big ports, but I havent pulled it to look at the chambers yet. Ports are larger than the A87 head I had.

What did it come from? I googled the casting and found nothing. It looks kinda cool to play with. Ill probably hold onto it. Any information would be helpful. When I find my 10mm allen socket Ill take a look at the chambers.

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about using it as a paper weight for my desk, because it looked cool. But if its something special Ill hold onto it for a future build.

I have a lot o random Datsun parts on my desk like that though. I have a "C" cam for a U20, some pistons from a L24 that was setup for racing, etc... cool things to pretty up my work area and make me feel more like Im working on car stuff... lol

IIRC The 219 was a true Nissan JDM SSS and special order head in NA. Naturally they eventually were used up so Nissan ran another batch to meet racing demands an used the casting number V912. Consider it the Holy Grail of L heads.

Don't tell whoever you got it from without a having a towel handy.

Well he knew it was something different, but neither of us knew what the deal was. The L16 its on is pretty tired so I imagine they both need to be gone through. Pretty cool deal for a free core engine. The truck Im looking at has the SSS SU's so they should go well together.

Got the head off. Doesnt look like anything spectacular. Peanut chambers yes, larger valves yes, bigger runners yes, but sharp surfaces around the peanut shape and valves to large for anything L series. It would have to have a LARGE bore to unshroud those valves and the edges need to be smoothed out if it was ever put on anything that could be called a race motor. Detonation Central on those hot edges. It looks like it could be put on a overbored L20B or one of the Z22/Z24 engines. The L16 it just came off of has been bored out to .050" over. It was enough to clear the valves but not enough for flow. Im working on a LZ24 hybrid. So Ill have to see how that works. Just my opinion though

The edges could be sanded down but that's the beauty of the closed chamber head with lots of quench. They promote massive turbulence inside the cylinder and combustion chamber that won't allow hot spots to form. On a stock Z24 with L head... the compression will be 10.01

Take a look inside the ports. The V912 casting was made specifically to be used as a core for race heads. Reputation has it that the raw port finish wasn't the best as they were intended to be ported and polished, not used in as cast form. Likely this is why you are seeing all the sharp edges in the combustion chamber as these would have been massaged on a full race head.

Take a look inside the ports. The V912 casting was made specifically to be used as a core for race heads. Reputation has it that the raw port finish wasn't the best as they were intended to be ported and polished, not used in as cast form. Likely this is why you are seeing all the sharp edges in the combustion chamber as these would have been massaged on a full race head.

That would make sense. The intake ports are perfect. I wouldnt mess with them nice and lightly roughed up. The exhaust could use a nice polishing. I may sand down those edges on those peanut chambers.

I dont know what the inside of the LZ24 looks like yet, but its got a A87 on it now, SU's, and runs on pump gas so I hope its not already 10:1.

I also noted that the cam is not stamped, but is a Factory Datsun billet with internal oiling. Im going to have to bust out my dial gauge and see what the duration and lift is.

I cant stand how Nissan changed these cams every year so you can almost never tell what the timing is suppose to be.

Not aware of any differences in cams by the year. All L20Bs are the same IIRC. 0.413 lift 248 degrees duration.

for 510's they have different timing specifications for each year 1968-1973. Timing spec change without much other change usually means subtle changes in cam design.

I was a little disappointed once I started cleaning. Apparently someone did the opposite of what I thought was done. They left the exhaust rough and the intake was polished. Opposite of what you want. Exhaust should be polished and intake ported and left rough. LAME!!

On the bright side pun intended the head cleaned up great. Cleanest looking L series head Ive ever seen. I didnt give it a good rinse down in the wash tank after scrubbing it so its got some grime here and there, but you can tell this head isnt 35+ years old.

P1040822.jpg.

P1040824.jpg

P1040823.jpg

• 2 weeks later...