Where to buy rings and pistons for 1974 B210?

spottedog

The rings are shot on my beloved little B210 hatchback, it is using oil and smoking, and a

Highway patrol officer issued me a warning!

Before I pull the engine for a rebuild I really would like to find a supplier of rings and maybe

pistons if required.

My online searches have yielded nothing and the idiot at Napa told me to “take it to the junkyard”

This is not a good looking car, but it’s fun to drive and the gas mileage is great!

It is a 1974 HLB 210, with a 1397 cc A-14 engine 76 mm bore

The original A-13 was replaced with the A-14 that is in it now (A-14 is stamped into the block

Near the #4 cylinder)

I remember from when I had the head done the cylinders are already at the first oversize.

Even the part numbers for pistons and rings would help a lot.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know they were oversize?

For A14 motor up to '77. Do you know the year of your motor?

Stock pistons for A14................ 12010 H7211

0.5mm over............................... 12010 H7214

1.0mm over................................12010 H7216 $60 ea all

Stock A14 ring set...................... 12033 H7200 $100

0.5mm over................................ 12035 H7200 $120

1.0mm over................................ 12037 H7200 $90

Prices are approximate.

Before you go rebuilding the engine are you sure the rings are bad?

Other things can cause it to smoke, bad pcv valve, bad head gasket, bad valve seals (although you said the head was redone).

Secondly, if the car runs and you are using it, you might want to look for a shortblock and just rebuild that, or just use it and rebuild yours. This will take all the time pressure off getting it done, and I still see A engines in the junkyards on a regular basis.

Get them just about anywhere except your local NAPA.

Kragen/Grand Auto/Oreilly's.

Or Nissan.

Why you gotta break balls? ;) Yeah, I saw this thread at work and checked, no piston or ring info available for that Datto. Boo on us. Can't win them all. I'll bet ITM sells a set of pistons and rings for that motor. Those can usually be gotten through the above mentioned parts houses, and at Motion/Five Mile Auto and possibly Bert Shields if you're in Spokane.

bombing "smoke", smoking like a freight train out the tail pipe. everyone told me it was the rings despite my compressing testing fine. took the head in it had broken guide. its running fine now.

ohhhhhh ok broken guide ,,, spewing oil ,,, gotcha :D

I just found 1# exhaust valve guide is split on my spare head :rolleyes: ( while inspecting )... damn it !!! :lol:

Do you work at O'Reilly's Auto Parts?

RockAuto.com has them orderable. The A14 engine is one of the most common, sold millions in USA.

Rockauto.com Piston Rings

I would guess the later A14 rings are interchangeable. Nissan specified a different ring-edge but otherwise the same.

Oh c'mon ggzilla, you should know by now I'm a NAPA whore for life! :D

How do you know they were oversize?

For A14 motor up to '77. Do you know the year of your motor?

Stock pistons for A14................ 12010 H7211

0.5mm over............................... 12010 H7214

1.0mm over................................12010 H7216 $60 ea all

Stock A14 ring set...................... 12033 H7200 $100

0.5mm over................................ 12035 H7200 $120

1.0mm over................................ 12037 H7200 $90

Prices are approximate.

The piston crowns are stamped .50 I always thought it was a 1974 A13 until a few days ago when I found the A14 stamp on the block

Before you go rebuilding the engine are you sure the rings are bad?

Other things can cause it to smoke, bad pcv valve, bad head gasket, bad valve seals (although you said the head was redone).

Secondly, if the car runs and you are using it, you might want to look for a shortblock and just rebuild that, or just use it and rebuild yours. This will take all the time pressure off getting it done, and I still see A engines in the junkyards on a regular basis.

I had a full top end done awhile back, some smoke was visible after that, but it just got worse.

Do you have water in your oil? :o Can you post results from a compression test? :blink: Let us know. There are plenty of piston rings, pistons available in Cali, and ebay. :P :D I see them frequently. There is Sold on Line in Petaluma, CA and Jordan's in Santa Rosa and many others. Try not to buy parts you won't use or need. ;)