whats the stiffest rated spring for a 510

ricky

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a datsun 510? Coilovers are the stiffest. Get those small diameter strings 275 lbs some guys fit.

The Datsun racers in the 80s fitted:

* Slalom: 218 lbs to the front and 778 lb springs in the rear.

* Rally: 147 lb front, 521 lbs/in rear

I recommend lower pound springs, and the biggest antisway bar you can find with new poly bushings. That will remove body roll and still leave a smooth ride.

Like ggzilla said, "bigger better sway bars", (not stiffer springs), will work the best. Too stiff of springs, and it will bounce like a ping pong ball in the turns, lol, and causing it to trade ends very easily. Good used sway bars are not very expensive, especialy if you find someone who just did a KA swap, because their old big front bar won't fit anymore.

I have my own little questions, what shocks are you guys running for these mega stiff rear springs?

Is there a reason you guys use these mega stiff rear springs? I thought I was slightly crazy for wanting 650-700lb springs all around, now I'm thinkin I should go stiffer in the rear since my 280ZX is bigger and basically has the same suspension setup...

too stiff on the street is bad. Fly around a corner and the man hole cover you hit will lift the car and spin around.

you want cheap stiff. get those rubber inserts they put inbetween the coil.

put ON a stiff FRONT sway bar. 510 corner better on the street w/o a rear bar. On race track then maybe add a sway bar as the roads are more flat.

Pointiac kid is right. Stiff prings need a shock to handle it.

I have my own little questions, what shocks are you guys running for these mega stiff rear springs?

Is there a reason you guys use these mega stiff rear springs? I thought I was slightly crazy for wanting 650-700lb springs all around, now I'm thinkin I should go stiffer in the rear since my 280ZX is bigger and basically has the same suspension setup...

What may sound like a really stiff spring is actually not that stiff. Because of the spring location on a 510, the wheel rate with a 1200# spring is actually only 300#. The spring rates that you are proposing running are crazy stiff. How much suspension travel does you car have anyway?