Erattic Tach

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem, and has a solution? I got my dash together and installed recently, and everything worked great for the first few days. Now at random times my factory tach starts reading eratticly. It seems to be worse when the engine is under load, but the engine is running fine, I'm hoping someone has a fix for this, Thanks in advance. :huh:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this problem with my aftermarket tach on my L18. I'm also running an Ignitor and Magfire coil. All my connections are tight. I even bought another tach and tried it - same problem. The same tach does not jump on my Toyota truck, which also has an Ignitor and Magfire 40kv coil

I have this problem with my aftermarket tach on my L18. I'm also running an Ignitor and Magfire coil. All my connections are tight. I even bought another tach and tried it - same problem. The same tach does not jump on my Toyota truck, which also has an Ignitor and Magfire 40kv coil

when my coil was getting old it did this then i changed the coil and it stopped.

The factory tach in my 510 was erratic with inconsistent readings for years,it finally died.I hooked up an aftermarket tach just to make sure it wasnt wiring or a bad connection somewhere.The aftermarket worked fine. I took the factory tach to a repair shop and had it tested,it was shot.I ended up buying another factory tach on E-bay.

Thanks for all the suggestions, for now it has stopped acting up, so it will do no good to try them, I think since it is connected to the factory wiring harness and plug, the most likely cause is that the coil may be getting tired. I'm planing to upgrade to a multispark ignition in the near future. If the coil holds out til then, the coil will get replaced along with the new system. I wish Pertronics made the Igniter III the Datsuns, then I would get a points style distributor, and convert it, and have everything under the distributor cap. They are the coolest tech, I have one in my 57 Chevy, looks like a stock distributor, but has the latest tech hidden underneath. The only one they make for Datsuns is the Igniter I, which is just an electronic conversion. :cool:

I'll add that relocating my coil to the core support, next to the radiator (in efforts to clean up the engine bay) didn't fare well. I got erratic tach readings after my engine warmed up, and affected the running some. Maybe the heat off the radiator was causing it, or some interference with other wiring. I moved it back to the stock location and all is fine. Something to consider if you've moved the coil elsewhere.