Very cool vintage camera

After my mom saw that I was looking up old film cameras on Ebay last night and bought one, she pulled this out.

This camera is a VERY old 1947 Leica camera built in Germany. It belonged to my grandpa that bought it when he was stationed over in Germany in World War 2. It's in perfect condition without a scratch on it. It's basically a piece of history. The camera's have become virtually impossible to find since they are old and not many survived. I've been talking with my mother about taking it to a professional camera service place to have it oiled and cleaned and restored to "like new condition" for the internals. Works as is, but better off serviced. After that, I'm going to see about getting some low speed film for it and getting some shots of old school cars in the future. Datsun's primarily. Could you imagine what a fucking Ferrari would look like taken from this camera?

You really have to see it in person to appreciate it as I do. It's in such excellent condition that it's almost hard to believe. All the original documentation is with the camera and intact as well as the original sales receipt for $57. It also has my grandfathers Social Security Number on the bottom, so the camera will NEVER be sold and will remain in the family until the end of time.

I figured some of you guys that are real big into vintage stuff and photography in general would really appreciate it.

Now for the pictures. They aren't the best quality, but I will try and take more when I find my good camera.

PICT0329.jpg

PICT0330.jpg

PICT0331.jpg

PICT0332.jpg

It had another piece of documentation with it, however it was so worn that I was afraid to open it. Both need to be framed.

PICT0333.jpg

PICT0334.jpg

PICT0335.jpg

PICT0336.jpg

This is the bag it's all stored in. It has an add on the back side for a Dallas Cowboys game in 1993. Yes, I used to live in Texas.

PICT0337.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice find!

I have a couple vintage 8mm cameras laying around too if you are interested. I have never used them but want to try and film some stuff someday.

I have a Nikon N80... LOVE that camera unfortunately don't get to take many photos now a days. no time with work and the truck and all. :(

NikonF80FaceupA.jpg

I also have a digital Nikon Coolpix S52 (limited edition forest green)... which I also love, but they removed the time laps video feature between the S51 and S52 :( booo.

clpixS52green.jpg

I have a largish collection of "vintage" cameras. Pretty much rummage sale stuff- old 1940s/50s Polaroids in cases, a couple of 8mm film cameras (one with 3 lenses on a dial), and a Japanese Yashica TLR of 1960s vintage. Plus a box of obsolete Instamatic-type cameras- 126s, Brownies, 110s, etc that you can't get film for anymore. Plus unused flashbulbs of many types.

That Leica is a 35mm camera? Spool type?

Now that you opened the topic, I have myself some other old cameras.

from left to right:

1. JCA Novar-Anastigmat

Date: unknown

Origin: Germany

2. Rolliecord Franke & Heidecke

3. Jiffy Kodak six-16

Date: 1933-1937

Origin: USA, Eastman Kodak, Rochester, NY.

DSC04094.jpg

DSC04098.jpg

DSC04095.jpg

DSC04099.jpg

DSC04096.jpg

DSC04097.jpg

These were from an great uncle of mine, who lived in Germany some time ago. Now they are exposed on our living room.

That Leica is a 35mm camera? Spool type?

Yep, 35MM and Spool type cool.gif Did some research and determined it must be either a Lecia II or III. They started manufacturing them in 1932 so this one could have been made anytime from 1932-47 when it was purchased.

Now that you opened the topic, I have myself some other old cameras.

from left to right:

1. JCA Novar-Anastigmat

2. Rolliecord Franke & Heidecke

3. Jiffy Kodak six-16

Date: 1933-1937

Origin: USA, Eastman Kodak, Rochester, NY.

These were from an great uncle of mine, who lived in Germany some time ago. Now they are exposed on our living room.

Very cool man! Guess I'll have to get my parents to dig out the rest of the cool cameras they're hiding. I know theres an old video camera from the 30's hidden somewhere. Also an old Polaroid too. My parents always hide the good shit. lol

No, no no. The nerdy guy got mugged from his lame wallet strapped to his body while getting a BJ from the cute camera sales person.

He sold the Leika so his friend could fly to Rome before the girl of his dreams left on a cruise ship.

And it's "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum"

bah... amateurs!

I haven't posted in a long time but I had to say I have over 70 old cameras. Check out some of my stuff on myspace.

www.myspace.com/purple59datsun

Under "Cool Stuff" is pics of some cameras and under "My Photo"s is full of pics I took with different old camera.

I'm not sure I can call myself a camera collector - camera packrat is more like it, but I'm always dragging home something photo related from flea markets and yard sales. So for me, your Leica post is one of the coolest I've seen on Ratsun in a long time. From your pics, it looks like the first part of the serial number is 407. According to a Leica serial number list I have, numbers 400000-440000 were model IIIc 1946-47. I'm guessing your Grandfather probably bought it new in Germany. The only Leica I have is the same model, but a couple of years older, so it was made during the war. I got it from an estate sale, so I don't know the story, but I assume a GI brought it back from Germany. Yours is way cooler because it has a family history.

When you go to use it, there are a few things different from a newer 35mm. Film loading is a bit strange. Here is one link: http://tinyurl.com/yzzzkg2 Don't think you need the fancy film cutting template shown. Cutting more or less the right shape with scissors has worked for me. Not cutting through the sprocket holes seems to be the important thing. There may be Youtube vids on film loading.

The lens has a collapsible lens mount. Before you shoot, you must pull the front of the lens out of the body, or your pics won't be in focus. Link to the instruction book: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_iiic/leica_iiic.htm Just one of the cool, weird things that make it different from a modern camera.

The body doesn't have a reflex mirror in front of the cloth shutter curtain. I've read you want to be careful to keep a lens cap on the lens when out in bright sun. If you get at the right angle to the sun, the lens can focus the rays and burn a hole in the curtain. Probably doesn't happen easily, but would be a bad thing to have happen.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics you take. This model Leica has to be about the ultimate collector camera.

Len

Here is a Leica III vid from Youtube:

Strangely, there is no narration explaining what he is doing. I looked at two other Leica III clips that have sound, but no talking. Maybe it is uncool to talk while operating a Leica. In the clip linked to, he doesn't seem to bother trimming the film leader, so maybe it isn't necessary.

Len