Oil type on 1980 datsun b 210 a14 engine

el hevs

Taking the Thermostat of makes the coolant Flow all the time.

I know what you mean that if the flow is continuesly threw out the engine then the coolant will start to rise in temperature evenly and after that it wont cool the engine down anymore.

I guess my 210 is a special car. Havent had any problems with it yet with overheating, I stay at 155 F all day on the highway and 170 in the city.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right it flows all the time, very unlike its suposed to! And your temp guage is not busted, its just that the cooling systems are AWSOME on these 210s! There is no reason to take it out is all. If it does decide to get hot there will be no cool coolant in the rad to reduce the temp, cause you bypassed the thermostat. Im not saying that it IS overheating, its just that when/if it does the overheating will be WAY WORSE than if you had the thermostat in! I mean they are in there for a reason, Total Cereal! Again, is there a Real reason for taking it out?

Its either: If it aint broke Dont Fix it, OR if it aint broke, your not tryin?

I run a thermostat and a stock belt fan and havent had any prollems, though I do wanna go to a electric fan, for the Power Shavings! The thing that I see is that you increased the danger of overheating, and removed the thermostat for no good reason, with no gain :unsure:

Especially cause your engine isnt running at top efficiency till you hit 190deg. The fan shouldnt run till about 200deg, for optimum efficiency.

God i love people that try to out "engineer" the factory.Starting in the mid seventies(and in some cases earlier)motors were designed to work at specific temperatures.By-passing the T-stat doesn't allow the engine to obtain a temp were it is most efficient.Around here the temp exceeds 100 degrees.And a 160 T-stat is too cold for my 810.The factory guys were/are a lot brighter than people give them credit for-stop trying to "out do" them.

Whats the problem with no Thermostat? I really wanna hear these answers :D

I've had mine taking off for 3 years now and not one problem. I only put it on during the Winter.

In the summer I take it off.

You never mentioned that you take it out for summer , and put back in the rest of the time :P ,,, so nearly all of this stuff below in my reply is Irrelevant

:lol: ,,,, in GENERAL not a good idea ,,, ^^^ read the last 8 words in the first line of my last post again ;)

If you do put one back in the winters , and it is hot enough in the summer then by all means it might be just fine ,,, but everytime I have seen a thermostat taken out around oregon it is a serious inidication of more serious problems ( blown head-gasket , clogged radiators , leaky hoses , lean running motor , something cracked/blocked :unsure: etc... ) that is result of a shortcut rather than a proper diagnosis/fix ,,, you have a controlled situation in which you want your car to run cooler in the extreme hot during summer time , and proper temp in the winter :D

---> Cold Running Motors build more carborn ,,,, more carbon means higher chances for pre-ignition/detonation <---

All that being said in 95 degree heat in Oregon ,,, my 240z L28 Engine will run slightly above half way operating temp with a 190 degree T-Stat :D

At the temp you are describing my L24 and L28 engines have a hissy fit until running a little warmer ;) ,,, but that could be an engine by engine basis ??? IDK

Well my theory is that without a thermostat the engine never warms up. 155 in the summer is cold! Engine efficiency is best when the coolant in the block is just under 200 or there about. These motors are designed to run hot. The rad is designed to remove excess heat.

With a working thermostat installed:

Summer: Start up, engine is likely at ambient outside temp so will warm up sooner. When temp nears the thermostat rating the thermostat begins to open. Gauge reads normal run position. Cooler rad water circulates and cools the engine slightly. Gauge may drop slightly. Outlet water temp may drop enough to close the thermostat briefly until engine warms it again. Hot water enters rad and is cooled slightly and mixes with the remaining cool water. Generally the rad temp rises slightly. Engine warms, thermostat opens slightly, warmed rad water enters but because it is already slightly warmed the outlet water temp isn't as cool and the thermostat does not close fully and remains partly open. System quickly reaches equilibrium where the thermostat is open just enough to regulate the outlet water temp at 180 or 190 or what ever rating is used... the rad sheds the excess heat... sending hot water back into the motor... where extra heat is collected and passes through the thermostat. Two things:

1/ If the engine is driven harder like up a long hill the outlet water temp will try to rise. The thermostat will open further, increasing the flow of 'cooler' rad water into the engine. The thermostat seeks to keep the engine temp at equilibrium by opening wider to increase flow.

2/ If engine is idled long enough less heat is produced and thermostat starts to close, may even close briefly because the rad can remove more heat that the motor makes. Again the thermostat seeks to keep the engine temp at equilibrium by closing slightly to restrict flow.

With a properly operating cooling system, you should be able to drive through the desert with the air con on.

Winter: Basically the same as summer except the ambient air temp is much lower so warm up time is slightly increased. Cold water in rad takes longer to warm up too, and so, inlet water will chill the motor enough that the thermostat will close completely to allow the motor to heat up only to open and let the cold water in again. Gauge may rise and fall repeatedly. This cycling will repeat until the rad warms up enough that the motor isn't over cooled and the thermostat is just barely open for circulation. Equilibrium is attained.

I hear you either like or dislike Dr. Pepper. Haven't tasted it since Kennedy was shot. Seems I remember it tasted like Swiss Cream soda? I'll have to try it again. Tastes change with age. I used to hate hotdogs, figs, dates, celery, cucumbers... now I like them.

Is there an Dr. Pepper Classic? or is it still the same?

huh.gif

Dr.Pepper IS classic. Shit never changed. It's always been the same goodness, but that's just my opinion wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

:rofl: ,,, you asked for "valid reasons" ,,, it's ok :console:

Hey i was just trying to say that I've never had a problem running my car without the thermostat, thats all. I guess everyone has there own Theory on it then. You never know until you try it :P and Im the stupid one who tried it :lol:

Hey i was just trying to say that I've never had a problem running my car without the thermostat, thats all. I guess everyone has there own Theory on it then. You never know until you try it :P and Im the stupid one who tried it :lol:

yeah I know how that goes ,,, I am running the 4bbl 390cfm Holley on my L28 in my 240z ( which is considered blasphemy by many :lol: ---> So I guess I can relate ! :lol: ( I actually have the sucker fine tuned :cool: ) ,,, funny thing is I like the set-up much better than my weber DGV's or SU's in the past ,,, less tuning ,,, electric choke :cool:

I guess I will have to trys it ;) :D

yeah I know how that goes ,,, I am running the 4bbl 390cfm Holley on my L28 in my 240z ( which is considered blasphemy by many :lol: ---> So I guess I can relate ! :lol: ( I actually have the sucker fine tuned :cool: ) ,,, funny thing is I like the set-up much better than my weber DGV's or SU's in the past ,,, less tuning ,,, electric choke :cool:

I guess I will have to trys it ;) :D

You can also go with a Six Pack Setup. Run 1 carb per 2 cylinders. I like to stand out, if your not creative then why bother owning a Datsun :D :lol:

• Like 2

You can also go with a Six Pack Setup. Run 1 carb per 2 cylinders. I like to stand out, if your not creative then why bother owning a Datsun :D :lol:

( drooling :cool: ) ,,, my brother has the tripple webbers ,,, <--- me wants ,,, ^^^ Well said ! I think I'm going to put that in my sig :D