510 dash protection????

So what are you guys using to keep the dash from cracking?? Armorall? That's stuff leaves a greasy feel. I tried buying a 510 dash cover this last Sunday at the Turlock swapmeet and they had it listed in their catalog but didn't have it stocked. I put a dash cover in my 521 which was perfect and it still cracked last year. So I'm looking for something to "hydrate" the dash.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never use stuff like armorall. As my dad told me, it dries out the dash and makes it easier to crack. I use nothing on my dimes dash, and im still crack free, and its been crack free for since forever. Plus i never touch the pad unless im dusting it with a swiffer duster pad.

Wish i had know that, i had one crack and started to use armorall now i have like 4 :(

Yeah, mine had 2 cracks in it, i used armorall and now it has a bunch. its not good for these older cars, never had a problem with it on newer rigs tho.

Now i just wipe it off with a dry shop towel (the blue ones), sometimes i will damp it and wipe it off. that works ok too. If its damp it helps catch the dust in it so it doesn't just spread around and come back after you wipe it off.

Armorall horror stories!!

The last time I used that stuff was around 1997. I used to put it on my tires but when we moved out to the Country i had to stop. Dust would stick to the tires. So it sounds like I should just leave the dash alone. Just a wipe down for dust. I've been keeping it out of direct sunlight for now.

years ago, armorall company had a class action lawsuit againist them for that reason, car owners were putting that crap on there restored muscle cars dash and seats to only findout it destroyed the interior, it has silicone in it which seals all the pours which keeps the material from breathing.

I've heard that if you use a hand lotion that it will keep dashes supple. If you do try lotion, try it on a small area where it won't be seen.

What you need is made by Zep. Should be able to buy from home depot or Zep themselves (they are a janitorial supply company) Heavy Duty Dryfoam Shampoo is the name of the product. it comes in a blue aerosol can with white lid. When you spray it it comes out like shaving cream. It is meant for a carpet spot remover. however plastic, vinyl, leather it is safe on, and at my work we have been using it for 25 plus years. It creates a medium semi gloss shine and will not crack your dash,dry it out, or attract fuzz like armorall. you apply it with a microfibre, lintless cloth, and because it foams, it get in between the shapes and cracks or designs of your dash and doors. It is not sticky, no residue, and it doesn't dry it out.

Radio

Armor All was made for leather but they pushed it for everything else once they noticed how shiny stuff got. Yes, it will speed up the destruction of your dash and other plastic parts.

Just use a soft damp cloth and wipe it down and try to do it when the sun is not directly on it.

Someone mentioned the silicone in armorall lots of these beutifiers have this ingredient. I just wanted to mention if you are getting ready to paint,the silicone can mess up your job.Before you paint blow out the door jams with air and paint them a day before you paint the rest of the car,unless of course you know for a fact none of these silicone based cleaners has been used on your vehicle.

I use Mother's brand "Protectant". I did a bunch of research before putting ANYTHING on my 610's dash, and it came back that it was one of the highest rated(not consumer reports), along side "Aerospace 303". 303 is a little more difficult to come by(expensive, too), and the Mother's brand stuff is pretty inexpensive, as well. Not that expense is any concern when it comes to protecting valuable parts, but I've read many places that these two products are comparable.

Applied every 30 days, it protects your vinyl/rubber against UV rays. Smells nice, too. Not messy, spray on, wait a few minutes, and wipe off. I've been using it, and I really like it. It's water based, not petroleum based. You don't want to use anything petroleum based, like lotions, baby oils, or vaseline. DON'T DO IT!

mot_protectant_lrg.jpg

You can pick it up at O'Reilly's of all places :rolleyes:

Years ago when I was putting a chevy 350 into a 77 chevette for fun, we had to move the firewall back so the dash was removed and taken inside into an air conditioned room. It was in perfect condition. I decided to make sure that it stayed nice during the engine swap and used armor all to keep it nice and shiny while it was out of the car. it wasn't 2 weeks later that 4 cracks appeared and continued to get worse as time went by.

As everyone else has said...avoid it like the plague!!!

I have used Mothers for years and have never had a problem with it. not oily feeling at all and doesn't attract dirt like some others.