Maybe looking at a 510

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/1905841807.html

I'm considering this car, I've always wanted an old 240 or a 510 and this one seems very cheap. I have two cars already so it's not like I need to drive it every day although i'm 20, in college and slightly poor.

Question is, what would I be getting myself into. Mostly want something that I can toy with and experement with different things that I wouldnt want to risk my VR4 or Stealth with.

Also the body on this is boring, can someone link me to some reliable sites for stock and aftermarket body, interior and motor parts?

I know most of my questions are likely awnsered already here on the forums however it's 1am and I just want to go to bed and wake up with the info and some opinions.

thanks!

Matt

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome.... that there is my dream car and that price is AMAZING. If you dont buy that..... its a datsun it will last you the rest of your life if you respect it... AND ITS COOLER THAN A VR4 it has much more character.... datsuns have soul.... magic isnt just for fairytales... buy a datsun and you will understand....

that looks like a really good deal. just keep in mind that a datsun is different than a honda, you can't just pick up a jc whitney catolog and find body kits for a 510. fender flares are about as far as that goes. basic mechanical stuff is pretty easy to find. 510's are dead simple though, easy to keep on the road, fun to throw around.:D

welcome.... that there is my dream car and that price is AMAZING. If you dont buy that..... its a datsun it will last you the rest of your life if you respect it... AND ITS COOLER THAN A VR4 it has much more character.... datsuns have soul.... magic isnt just for fairytales... buy a datsun and you will understand....

Hey hey now, no need to bash my 3000Gt's lol, they have their own unique souls.

The car looks pretty fun, I've always liked them and it's actualy got a boot and a back seat big enough for things. I really DONT need another car but I've been dying to get something I can mess with and not cry about because I've already put too much work into it to experement and something that is more labor intensive rather than cash intensive.

the front end on that thing though looks pretty banged up, what's the best place to find replacement parts for that sort of thing?

Matt

this one seems very cheap.

What it seems and what it may be are 180 degrees opposed. That car looks like it has quite a bit of damage & rust repair needed. The previous body work and paint were obviously done horribly

i'm 20, in college and slightly poor.

Not really a good combination for a 510 restore/build/modification

Question is, what would I be getting myself into. Mostly want something that I can toy with and experement with different things that I wouldnt want to risk my VR4 or Stealth with.

A can of worms, and disrespecting a car that some of us are huge fans of

Also the body on this is boring, can someone link me to some reliable sites for stock and aftermarket body, interior and motor parts?

Go buy a civic or sentra :rolleyes:

I just want to go to bed and wake up with the info and some opinions.

I want to wake up with ten million dollars and a 12" schlong.

I've been dying to get something I can mess with and not cry about because I've already put too much work into it to experement and something that is more labor intensive rather than cash intensive.

It will be both. Just because the car is old doesn't mean parts are cheap. Parts are rare, aftermarket support is low and in low demand aka expensive & custom

the front end on that thing though looks pretty banged up, what's the best place to find replacement parts for that sort of thing?

A magic parts fairy

This looks like a good driver. However, as others have stated, the body may be in terrible shape. It looks like someone just sprayed over a bad body that seems to have quite a bit of rust and probably lots of bondo. Any car of this age will likely have some rust, but who knows what's hiding under there.

If you want a car that is fairly cheap to maintain with some old school character, then this is a good starting car. If it runs and drives well, then it's a deal. But don't expect it to be a show car with a body like that. But if the paint is any indicator as to what's hiding, you might want to turn and run.

Matt, I find YOUR post a bit disrespectful. No need to bash on someone who's looking to get into the platform, people like you kill forums.

Costmeticaly I'd be looking to go toward something like this in an end result

datsun510.jpg

A more badass front facia, some agressive flares, the wheels on the craigs car posted are perfect, perhaps a nice lowering, would likely remove nearly everything and do the entire body in a satin black. Depending on interior condition, either revert it as clost to stock as possible or if it's already molested, make it more toward a driveable track car type interior feel. I want to learn body work, So far Ive been prety decent at bondoing and I converted my stealth completely from a 1g Stealth ES body to a 3000GT body. I'll post pictures if anyone cares.

Also, I dont feel as if I need to drive a honda or a sentra, I have more pride in myself than to modify something like that..

Matt

Totally agree matt that post came off pretty disrespectful to me to. 510's are pretty rare on that coast. I think people buying datsuns qnd fixing em up is good news for everyone... Should try to be more humble and look to the bright side of things.... I also understand you are just trying to help out in your own wierd way from spending timr with you on the forum.... Just dont scare off the new guys :D

its brutal, but accurate.

its not for the meek

Agreed ^^^ :D ,,, suuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrre thisismatt is a smartass , so are the rest of us :P , but stick around long enough to see he has a lot of "technically helpful" posts to ! ;)

If you want the 510 , go for it ! But for an honest opinion ---> that front end is going to need a lot of work ,,, As far as your goals for the "body" that looks like a tasteful combo to work towards :cool:

---> and Yes ,,, I am a self-proclaimed asshole ! :rofl: <----

maybe I wen't to far :lol:

If it were me ,,,,, then Yes ,,,, I would pursue this car ( or at least talk/test drive with the owner ) :D

I currently own (2) 240z's ,,, 1 is a DD , yet constant ( I mean constant ! ) trouble-shooting can be required at times ! they have their quirks , but most issues all identifiable as well as a vast knowledge of info on the net , parts are available , etc... Recognizing a stock 240-280z's are very very very easy to work on.

I don't know much about 510's to be honest , but they can be pretty shweet rides

I do know the Z is a beast on the highway :cool:

Matt, I find YOUR post a bit disrespectful. No need to bash on someone who's looking to get into the platform, people like you kill forums.

I thought it was quite accurate, humorous, and full of sage wisdom. I even called Dr. Laura and she agreed. I give it two thumbs up!

You got opinions inferring that it was a great buy, even though it's a can of worms with rust repair and shoddy body work. I'd rather have someone give it to me straight than tell me I'm getting a sweet deal only to find out it's a pile of bondo and hydrated ferric oxide. Considering the wheels and the motorset with carb, I'd say that's a $750 to maaaaybe $1000 car at most, given the condition of the body. I see major rust repair in its future if the body work is done right.

If you really want to learn to do body work, then sure, that looks like a good car to start with and is probably far enough gone that you won't really do it any harm if things go poorly...hopefully you're not using body work as a synonym for bondoing, though. Bondo has its place, but its place is not filling through-holes or rebuilding structure, unless you want to do a hack job, then by all means proceed. Sourcing donor body parts (other than bolt-on pieces like hood, trunk, fenders) is difficult and/or expensive (and can still be difficult & expensive for those bolt-ons in good condition), and replacement and patching is also difficult to do right/well. Just realize what you're getting into and know it's not going to be cheap. Do you have a mig or tig welder? Know someone who does and will help you? Sheet metal forming and bending tools and skills? I'll tell you from first hand experience that not being able to do those things and sourcing donor pieces puts you in a difficult spot. But, that car would be a decent car to learn on given it's already rough condition.

yes I have friends with welders. I havn't had any sheet metal expereince yet however it's something I want to learn. I'm not going to refabricate the entire thing out of bondo, I was just stating I'm pretty good at using it.

And I wasn't saying Matt's post wasn't informative, I'm just not buying a ricer over a classic...seems pointless and degrating to modify such a stupid car.

The only part of the body that scares me is the passenger side on this thing, it looks pushed in and being it's part of the body and not like a rear door, that could be a huge problem, I definatly definatly dont have the tools to pull it out if it is in fact bad.

Either way the guy hasn't emailed me back yet. Theres a billion 280z's in every year around here, rarely a 240 and very very scarcely a 510. Back in the day when I was in a crib my dad had a B210

It is also very clearly bondo'd or some other crap on that side if you look at the rear wheel well in the picture you can see the trademark signs of either rust or damage that was cut out on the wheel well.

I do agree if that car is to "experiment" and having limited skills then you'd be better off with something that has a lot more aftermarket parts available as we are limited on what we get on swaps and changes.