Robins Egg Ratsun

DatDoug

Picked this lil sweety up Last Saturday for my friend. Hes been trying to talk me into selling him 1 of my Dattos for years now. So we went & bot this 1. Its a 72 521 all stock original paint survivor. Its pretty str8 & rust free. There is one krinkle in the lower rear part of the bed by the side marker lite. The only rust is in the gutter on the roof. Floorboards are great with minor surface rust. It barely ran & had no brakes (imagine that) but did drive onto the trailer. The plans are that I am going to fix it up for him. Basically get it dialed in. Running & driving good & cleaned up.

Here it is when I got it home

downsized_0807001928.jpg

downsized_0807001929.jpg

Minus the canoPEE

downsized_0809002024.jpg

downsized_0809002025.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been finding, buying, fixing, driving, & selling Datsuns for the last 6 years. I have gone thru quite a few :blink: It dawned on me today that there are 4 things you always need to do to an old Datsun truck after picking it up from the field, side yard, blackberry bushes or wherever its been sitting for the last 2 decades.

1. Remove ugly ass ol canoPEE

2. Remove stock carb, throw it into bushes & put on a weber.

3. Remove points ignition & throw........I mean sell it to Real Old School dude who knows how to work on them & install E.I.

4. After praying for the whole drive home that the brake drums are bnot completely welded to the hubs, Go thru the whole brake system.

After those 4 things you usually have a great running & driving lil truck.

This is basically what I have done to it so far. Oh yeah, & lowered it of course. :cool:

More Pics :fu:

521onblocks.jpg

ur buddy scored a nice 521, looks just like my Grandson, same color and also sports the original paint. I'm liking the stants, did u use 3 or 4" blocks to lower the rear and how much up front did u lower it.

question

I know you're a hater of the datsun carbs and have read before that you usally toss them into the woods, question is, how big of a pile of carbs you got in the woods, can we see a pic. :mellow:

ur buddy scored a nice 521, looks just like my Grandson, same color and also sports the original paint. I'm liking the stants, did u use 3 or 4" blocks to lower the rear and how much up front did u lower it.

question

I know you're a hater of the datsun carbs and have read before that you usally toss them into the woods, question is, how big of a pile of carbs you got in the woods, can we see a pic

HA-HA! Thats funny cuz I was just thinking about how cool of a pic that would be. A big pile of hitachi carbs on the forest floor with bugs & snakes crawlin all over :blink: I used 3" blocks in back & lowered it as much as the torsion blots would allow without reindexing them. About 5" up front.

that things in awsome shape.....step 5 should be wheels.....just kidding.....nice 521....these are the ones no matter what anyone says you can be like ,shit will buff out...lol

Actually I think it does need some wheels to fill ou them fender wells. As for the paint I already TR3ed the cab & it shined up pretty good. Im going to have a friend buff it all out. I love the lookm of original paint with all its flaws :D

don't tell me you also got a bunch of Datsun rear HD bumpers out back also.... :o

HA! I got 50lb rear step bumpers lined up like cord wood :huh: Stacks of Hitachis, Piles of points dist. & I used to av a truckload of 76-77 stove pipe manis but I used them for fill in my last concrete pour :P I av enuff ol canoPEEs to house a small indian village too.

Tore into the engine bay a little last nite. Pulled the radiator so I could get to the front of motor & Alt. The Alt. looked crooked. Did not line up with the other pulleys. Also the timing arrow was bent. So I got all that str8end out & noticed some1 spliced the main wire going to the Alt. So I fixed that. Just going thru it & fixing all the llil things so its a reliable fun truck for my friend.

Next thing I tackle is cleaning out the floorboards. Also looking fo some cool rims to put on it.

Step 5. Remove Huge rear bumper :P

Got some coll ol skool meshies from DatsunFish & thru them on the FiveTo1 to see howd they look :unsure: I like them. A lil more polishing & some wider tires with just blackwalls.

downsized_0818002023.jpg

downsized_0818002031.jpg

downsized_0818002032.jpg

Well here is the finished product. This is how my friend wanted it. Classic looks. I still av to buff out the bed. A nice clean, easy, cheap daily driver :cool: Picked up a non runner & in less then 2 weeks got a daily driver :thumbup:

downsized_0819001739.jpg

downsized_0819001738.jpg

Do you see my next proyect in the garage? :rolleyes: