I'm online

I finally got my website started. It has tons of issues, but I finally own a piece of cyberspace to call my own. I will mostly be using it to promote my freelance design work, but I will make sure there is a parking space for my cars to reside. If you decide to check it out, give me some feedback and let me know what you think and what I might improve on. I will be fixing issues and adding material this week, so I know of a lot of things I need to do already.

www.jeffball610.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF Batman? There's nothing on it? I see two photos, very dark and full of artsy fartsy attitude, but where's the 610? I see 610 in the name, I expect to see a Datsun, not a picture of an ashtray. Way too busy for my taste, seeing as you're wanting opinions. It might also help if you include what type of freelance design work you're doing. All I see is some basic photography and the rest is text spiraled in different patterns, which is pretty much photoshop effects driven. Don't get me wrong, it looks sort of cool, but there's no function, and no direction to finish out the base idea.

That and one square still has the html prompt of "This is where you put images/whatever."

And that's how I really feel! :D

yes, I've already updated the text blocks. This was just the first round. I'm using an online program called PSD2CSS that converts my photoshop files to HTML and CSS files.

There will be no Datsun 610 on this site. I have a 510. The name is because I am 6'10" tall. It's a name I've been using for some time now.

There is very little function to the site right now. It is bare bones. I've only got 4 pages and like 3 pics. Most of this is just the frame for further upgrades. It is also a base for me to troubleshoot any issues that I may have. Most web guys do all of this before they put the site up, but I'm still learning some of this stuff.

As far as freelance work goes, I do pretty much all of it. I'm mostly an illustrator, but do graphic design, photography, 3D graphics, etc. I'll be putting more stuff up as the weeks go.

And how did I post this so many times? Did it double post here? I've put this on a couple different forums that I frequent for those that want to check it out. Also, it helps to link to my site from other sites for Google to locate.

Your domain should represent what you do and be easy for potential clients to remember. Your HTML has a lot of comment tags in it which looks sloppy. If I'm looking for a graphic designer I'm going to check out their code to see how well they organize things. If someone else built the site it should say so on the site.

The design of the site seems like it should have more lens flares (sarcasm). The design is very cliche and played out. Does it say "rusted bolt"? What does that have to do with photography? You need to change the title of the page if you haven't already. That will help your google score. However it will need to be along the lines of 610 and balls, like your DN.

Thanks for the advice Dat-side.

Yes, I know I need to change some of the html. This is just to get it going. PSD2CSS online adds a bunch of messages in there to help you find the right code and show you where to put stuff. It's mostly for newbs, but it is organized well. I will be taking out a bunch of those comments/notes to clean it up. That's one thing I will have to write down to remind myself to change.

Also, the design of the page isn't really finalized. I'm just playing with some stuff. PSD2CSS lets you make sites so easily, I might change my design every month. I know that wouldn't show stability or consistency to potential clients, but I don't sit still well. It will represent my personality. I'm never satisfied with what I've done and every project is just practice for the next. That's probably one reason I haven't even bent my brake lines for my 510 yet. I'm just not satisfied with the way other things are going that I tend to sit still sometimes.

Oh well, it's a start.

• 2 weeks later...

whats the deal with the hugging zombie picture?

LOL. That's just a random picture of me. I made the pic to where it's not really clear on purpose. But I also thought I would add a pic of myself to give people some idea that a person is running this thing and not some faceless company.

There are a ton of companies that currently outsource design work to places like India for prices that we cannot match here. I'm talking about logo designs for $15. No real company would want a design like that. What I offer is a real product that is representative of what the customer wants with a little flare (no homo) of my own. The product I produce is a piece of the customer and not some piece of clipart or cookie cutter design. This is all custom work.

my 2 cents.....

1.change the site name to jeffball.com jeffballer.com etc..... whatever isnt taken

2. dont clutter up your front page with your life story and all that bs... most people dont read that stuff put that under a tab where its not too hard to find if someone wants to read it...

3. main page should just have links to other parts of your site

4. dont explain every little thing.... people dont care how you made an image.... potential clients dont even know what photoshop is probably or else they would design there own stuff.

5. KEEP IT SIMPLE.......

as said above this is just my 2 cents and you can do what you want im not your mother.... thats just my list of things that would detour me of using your services overall the product is good.... good luck

just my professional opinion...

Iv delt with and had clients in design, photography, and various other forms of arts and the site has an unprofessional feel.

its set up and displayed like a myspace page

you dont need your life story on there, just your work and some professional information.

you dont need to hear the life story of the guy you get your groceries from right?

yes your selling your art and your art is part of you but keep in mind your selling a commodity in the end.

take some time to see other artists sites and take careful note on how their set up, you cant just toss everything on there and hope it works.

the art of drawing in a client and making a sale is a whole nother kinda art in itself.

set your site up so that it draws people in and makes them think "I need that" because even the greatest of products need to be sold

(yeah Iv worked in sales to :rofl:)

yeah,,, ... if the home page had less writing and more art............ that'd be better

you could have a backround page,,,, ,,, but not a backround home page............... I don't know if you really should have the guy pointing his hand/guns on the home page (it just immediatley made me not want to read 5 paragraphs or even bother clicking on anything

That being said......... I really like the DJ spinning Vynil and the Batman/Joker............. but you must have more work to show....... lets see it...........maybe put a couple of your favorites on the home page