Need help with figuring out costs to fix wagon

chumstone

I'm hoping to find someone in the Seattle are to help me figure out how much it's going to cost me to take this car to the level that I want it. My plan is to make it a driver, but I would like it to look like a respectable 510. I have a list of things that I started, but I always like to get experienced opinions. I see 510's out there that might cost less than fixing this wagon, but I'm not sure how much I have ahead of me. The big item is the body, but all the other parts add up also.

Right now I see a wagon in SF that has been painted, and one thought I have, is to swap parts from this one into the newly painted $3000 car in SF. Anybody got any opinions on doing this?

Also there is a show quality car on CL in SF that is quite a beautiful piece of work, but its not quite what I want, but if a person where to start fixin this car, it might be a better deal to fork out the $9500 for it, if this is going to cost me $8000 to fix this one and not come even close to the level that the $9500 car would. Right now I've got $3000 into this car and I have a ballpark paint price of $3000 to $5000. I had hoped to only put $6000 into it.

Sorry for the ramble. Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rule of thumb... take what you want to put into it then double or even triple that. when I started my wagon project I only wanted to put a few grand into the build not including the cost of the engine... well 2 years later and I have over 14K into it including the engine and its not even painted. I figure it would cost another 5K put into it at least to finish it...but the again are they ever finished :lol:

Not much help here, but if you think about it....that guy isn't selling it at a profit at $9500. I'm sure he has a good bit more into it. So you have to figure that if you want yours like it, you're going to be a good bit higher than $9500. If you can't do the work yourself, than half to a third of your vehicle cost will be paying for shop labor.

Ya shop labor is the killer for most projects lucky enough for me I dont get charged shop labor from Troy and I TRY to do most things on my own or with a bit of direction from Troy its the importing parts for my FJs that was expensive :(

Yea, that $9500 wagon is about half of what you'd have to spend. That wagon seems like a bargain. Can't believe it's still for sale. At $60 an hour any labor adds up fast, so do parts. I'm going to use that $9500 wagon as a base for what I want to spend. Even that wagon is not finished.

I remodel and build houses and I always do a cost estimate before jumping in on a project. I'm hoping to put costs next to the items that I want done on this wagon before going any further. I So far I've just bought door hinge pins. Just need an experienced local shop to give me direction.

I appreciate all your help. These sites are great! Thanks

My $1200 "Ratsun" wagon has now swallowed $2800 in parts :eek:... It still looks like a "Ratsun", but, at least it runs drives and stops good! It'll always end up costing more than you thought, for example the early 11mm ball joints ended up costing me $130 for the pair, late model 13mm ones would have only cost $50 :confused:!

Just my 2cents how mechanically sound is your wagon? You could spend some buck and get your car running tip top then do the paint a bit later. My thinking is that if you do the mechanical 1st then you don't have to worry bout pulling the engine and scratching your new paint. Also you could round up spare body parts and have them individually prepped (acid dipped and and then primed and sealed), that way its not all out of pocket at once. Also do some research and find a reputable shop, i'm sure if you ask around on this site you can get some hits as to a good body shop or 2. Usually a couple hundred a guy can handle but a couple thousand is where it gets tricky.

Just abit more. Another plus to doing parts before hand is that when you are ready to take the car in and have it painted you can have some of the extra stuff done that makes a car standout. Engine bay, outsides of the fenderwells, high quality paint, and the always expected x factor( the shit that needs to be fixed right but will cost ya that you didn't expect)! Doing it this way you could have the doors, hood, an the rear hatch all primed and ready that way when you do it it's also less time in the shop.

That wagon seems like a bargain. Can't believe it's still for sale.

im trying to sell my 2dr to buy it...:blink:

its all relative costs, if you can do it yourself its always gonna save $$$

i got an estimate (for ins/court) of $7515.00 for minor body damage and new paint.

then theres the drivetrain, im in for $2000 in the motor so far. & its not even together yet... :cursing:

thats ~$9500 and its never going to be in the same league of the other

ive had the wagon for 15 years too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have less than a grand total in my 74 710 wagon so far but its no where near being finished. Havent even touched it in 2 years I think. I have a JDM L18, a few Five speed trans(2 ZX trans and one turbo ZX trans), original L18, peanut head from TDAAJ, headers I got with my JDM, oil cooler, misc small parts, aftermarket headlights, 280ZX front struts/brakes, new OEM fender, steering box, and some other small stuff. I need to fix a small area of rust on the left front framerail where the exhaust manifold ran by then I can start putting parts on it. Did actually get the cutoff wheel to remove the rusted section(probably a piece 7x3 in size) then figure out a way to get it welded back up. Dont have a welder and dont have a way to get it to a shop, or the money to buy a welder or take it to a shop right now, lol. I have an 83 El Camino I am trying to sell at $6,000 that has double that in parts and work. Havent had any interest yet. You will never get your money back on a project unless you get some guy with no sense to buy it at a Barret Jackson auction.

I have three Datsun PL-521 pickups. I think I can get one running, and on the road, fairly easy. I hope to get two of them running, sometime. Sometimes when I get parts, or do something, I try to keep in mind that I want to eventually get two running. The first one I get running, I hope to use as daily driver, the second one I would like to do nicer. I use the third one as a parts truck, and occasionally I even use the second one as a parts truck, but I try to replace the parts I used from the second truck soon, if I can.

in 2007, I spent $1828.23 on these projects. About $767.00 on sublet labor, Head machining, radiator repair, brake drum turning. I spent $1010.03 on parts, $35.07 on gas, and oil, and $15.93 on other expenses.

The truck is running, it can move itself. I is not yet registered, or insured. I am working on the brakes, and it needs tires. I have also done an upgrade to the headlight wiring, and I plan on putting some aftermarket headlights in it.

I have not had any bodywork or paint expenses on it yet, I am going to take a Saturday class at a local community college to do body work and paint.

Im glad that the labor here is cheap, here if you want a paint job done, it costs about $650 and a well done paint job around $ 1560. thats the expensive side here, everything else is below those prices.

And of course, like already said someone up there, if you DYS its a lot lot cheaper.

Well yea, I'm in the process of purchasing Hectors wagon. He is a great guy, very thorough and attention to details is just mind blowing. I just wish that he had not injured himself.

Another person that has been very helpful has been Autohero, Ray, who I consulted with recently. Very knowledgeable with 510's. I would suggest anyone wishing to cherry out a 510 to consult him with their project. Well worth the money. Ray will certainly be helping to finish Hectors wagon.

I'll keep you all informed as things move forward. Neil

Forest "aka" Hector is an awesome guy. Hope to see his wagon get finished as it is a really nice car.

Yeah he is!!! get him to join, tell him he just has to post a few times a month... I miss his updates on the 1200 and his wagon thread.....

Well yea, I'm in the process of purchasing Hectors wagon.

I'll keep you all informed as things move forward.

:cool: :thumbup:

lemme know if it becomes too much to complete ;) i REALLY wanted it too.

and :fu: since i couldnt afford it w/o selling the 2dr (which apparently is no longer for sale)

by the time I get it all put together the $$$'s will be way up there. Lots of work left to do. Although I had hoped to get a nice ride for around $10k, this ride just seemed to have what I always wanted in a car, which was the body work done. All the other pieces can be installed as time and money permit. I did not get it to show so much as to drive occasionally and have as a long term project to kill the winter time blues. I will be looking to meet up with you datto heads as local meets come up. Thanks Neil