starter

ok so i swapped my trans out on my 71 510 2dr.. and wen i tried to put the starter back on it fits and all but wen i try and start it it just clicks.. the bendix xomes out but doesent spiin.. and so i tought it was a bad starter so i replaced it same thing? battery is fully charged... and i think i have it wired right..

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i swapped my trans out on my 71 510 2dr.. and wen i tried to put the starter back on it fits and all but wen i try and start it it just clicks.. the bendix xomes out but doesent spiin.. and so i tought it was a bad starter so i replaced it same thing? battery is fully charged... and i think i have it wired right..

(1) Battery Cables corroded / connections bad ? ( how old are they ? )

(2) Clean all contact points ? ( sand down , chemical clean , whatever )

Damaged or disconnected the power wire from the solenoid to the stator? The ignition-start wire triggers the solenoid to push the drive pinion gear out and also acts as the high current switch to turn the starter motor on. If the positive wire from the solenoid relay switch to the stater motor is damaged or disconnected, or the relay switch inside the solenoid housing is bad, then the motor gets no power. Check that out and see if that's the case.

Chingon! jajaja

Whats that black cable doing on there??????? both those lugs are positve.or when you hit the start wire those 2 lugs get shorted together.

Cant believe you did this.never seen that before

some people( I myself) also use the hole near the head by the fuel pump to ground also.Use a nice short black cable

alwsy place the positive side of the battery near the firewall. incase battery goes foward and hit the hood and shorts out(i know this from experience)

put the black cable on the bolt that goes thru the trans .that will be your ground!!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like what you did is hit the key switch and it shorts out the battery.Lucky it didnt blow up

the nut on the rt side is for the motor that is hooked up already.

when you get the little 12volt wire trips the selinoid then routes power from the left side(red battery cable then goes to the right side then down to the notor with that thick copper cable. then to ground

If that black wire is a ground wire, then that is definitely wrong. Well, it's pretty much wrong regardless of where the black wire goes, since you really shouldn't have anything piggybacked off that lug. The starter grounds through the engine/transmission. The right lug is only to supply power through the solenoid switch to the starter motor, which it looks like you've grounded out. At this point you may have fried the solenoid switch or a fusible link...

ok so ground cable goes between starter and trans, and switch the positive cable from battery to wear i had the negative cable?

Ground could go directly under the bolt head washer, not between the starter and trans. No, leave your positive cable where it is. Nothing goes on the right stud, other than that very short cable going directly into the starter motor housing.

The ground can go anywhere on the engine block - it doesn't have to be right there at the starter or on the starter bolt. Just anywhere on the block that will provide a clean, solid connection.

Dude, you rock. I was reading this trying to understand what you were talking about. Pictures > 1000 words!