is this true cali smog law

The laws haven't changed at all, people are just ignorant to what a pre-76 vehicle gets you.

As has been said, you're not required to check in every other year to have the car checked, but you are required to follow all smog laws that were associated with the motor in the car.

1995 KA24DE swap means you have to have the stock headers and emission crap from the 1995 KA to be legal.

That being said... The chances of being pulled over and checked are slim, especially if you're not driving like a moron. Or...

"I'm sorry, officer, the hood release cable rusted through and I am unable to open my hood without special tools."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i got reffed.. for exhaust too loud... went to state refferee.. he explained it like above.. u can do any usdm swap to a 510. as long as u have all the smog equipment from the motor the car come froms. say in my 510 i go LS1 i need cats everything it comes with,.. Also .. if u really wanna go as far as not having problems do tht.. go to referee and get barred..get the sticker tht ur car has been checked... and ur swap is legal.. u will not get hassled as much

i got reffed.. for exhaust too loud... went to state refferee.. he explained it like above.. u can do any usdm swap to a 510. as long as u have all the smog equipment from the motor the car come froms. say in my 510 i go LS1 i need cats everything it comes with,.. Also .. if u really wanna go as far as not having problems do tht.. go to referee and get barred..get the sticker tht ur car has been checked... and ur swap is legal.. u will not get hassled as much

most kits do custom headers off of the exhaust manifold, would that be passable? I'm assuming you're missing a good bit of equipment from your car and when you got reffed, the ref overlooked it?

most kits do custom headers off of the exhaust manifold, would that be passable? I'm assuming you're missing a good bit of equipment from your car and when you got reffed, the ref overlooked it?

headers off exhaust manifold? That doesn't really sound like headers :P Do you mean a cat-back system? I think CARB is the reason cat-back systems are so popular, because that's pretty much the only legal thing you can do to exhaust other than a CARB certified aftermarket exhaust manifold/headers, which may not even exist for the motor you use. Catalytic converter laws are SUPER strict and not just in CA, but by the EPA nationally. Deleting the cat(s) isn't legal anywhere I believe, and even faces a pretty hefty fine imposed by the EPA...of course someone would have to turn you in for that specifically, which isn't likely. There are aftermarket high flow cats for some motors, but fat chance finding any that are CARB legal and don't cost a crapload. The thing is that you need to have everything related to emissions for the motor you swap in, and what's "related to emissions" is VERY BROAD in CARB speak. Everything has to be OEM or CARB certified aftermarket. Exhaust mani/headers, cat(s), evap system, EGR system, entire intake system, engine controls...blah blah blah

Like most things, just don't be a moron/idiot/retard (obnoxious loud exhaust falls into this category) on public roads and you won't have any trouble.

in colorado you can see road signs when you cross a county line from a no smog county to a smog county that say removed catalytic converters fine x amount. the doo random roadside inspections out there. as for illegal to remove it... sorta they make it hard but its not illegal. my grandfather lives in a no smog county and it is legal for a shop to cut out a pipe and its legal for them to put in a straight pipe.... however it is illegal for them to do both. so my grand father takes it one shop to cut it out. drives over to another shop and then has them put in a pipe haha.

you could tag your car in another state but its a pretty big fine if your pulled over with out of state plates and an in state license. its illegal to not register your car in the state you reside. unless your in the military.

in colorado you can see road signs when you cross a county line from a no smog county to a smog county that say removed catalytic converters fine x amount. the doo random roadside inspections out there. as for illegal to remove it... sorta they make it hard but its not illegal. my grandfather lives in a no smog county and it is legal for a shop to cut out a pipe and its legal for them to put in a straight pipe.... however it is illegal for them to do both. so my grand father takes it one shop to cut it out. drives over to another shop and then has them put in a pipe haha.

you could tag your car in another state but its a pretty big fine if your pulled over with out of state plates and an in state license. its illegal to not register your car in the state you reside. unless your in the military.

Sorry, but your facts are wrong. I give you exhibit A, from the mouth of the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/exhsysrepair.pdf

heres the thing with that if they catch that its gutted thats big problems for you because they look at it as trying to trick them... now if you have a test pipe in there then its a small fine for modified exhaust. its better to get a cat and put it in with flanges. then get a test pipe made to fit in. then if you get reffes just swap it out. before you go to the reff

You could just leave the catalyst on there. Unless you are running a cat from the 80's or earlier, you won't notice much difference in performance by removing it. The monolith style cats flow much better than the old pellet style cats. If you do run a bolt-in style cat, be cautious because those are the types that dirtbags like to steal because they are easy to remove.

• Like 2

well all i have is an l18 and webber,, and i got pulled over.. with a greddy muffler.. lol went under freeway overpass in high rev second.. soo it was louder than it was around 3 am.. lol but changed muffler and they had to measure it which sucked... and catback systems are illegal unless they are CARB approved like stated above..

You could just leave the catalyst on there. Unless you are running a cat from the 80's or earlier, you won't notice much difference in performance by removing it. The monolith style cats flow much better than the old pellet style cats. If you do run a bolt-in style cat, be cautious because those are the types that dirtbags like to steal because they are easy to remove.

they only waste there time with trucks because of the easy access. and they still use a sawzall because its quicker then unbolting it.