is this true cali smog law

is this true guys if you live in cali we all could be target by this bs law.

i wonder what will happen if i ever get stop on my 69 rotary datsun 510 wagon. will they send the epa on my ass. that car wont ever pass smog, thank god is smog exempt.

is this true. i ask ref guy the other day.but i don't know.

If you get stopped and the cop tickets you for altered emissions you'll go the the referee. The car is exempt from bi-annual and title transfer inspections, not smog requirements. I haven't heard of a case where a 75 or older car has been ticketed but I'm sure it's going to happen.

i was thinking what will jay leno think about that. he's one of the biggest car collection guys out here

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please Explain! What law? Referee? What?

this.

Is there anything I should be worried about while putting my 510 together? Does this mean I cannot use my old rusty exhaust system?! sad.gif

Pre 73 are still smog exempt yeah? As long as it has a catalytic converter?

is this true guys if you live in cali we all could be target by this bs law.

i wonder what will happen if i ever get stop on my 69 rotary datsun 510 wagon. will they send the epa on my ass. that car wont ever pass smog, thank god is smog exempt.

is this true. i ask ref guy the other day.but i don't know.

If you get stopped and the cop tickets you for altered emissions you'll go the the referee. The car is exempt from bi-annual and title transfer inspections, not smog requirements. I haven't heard of a case where a 75 or older car has been ticketed but I'm sure it's going to happen.

i was thinking what will jay leno think about that. he's one of the biggest car collection guys out here

A few thoughts to consider:

You are not smog exempt. You are exempt from the biannual smog checks. If you had a '67 or older Datsun you would be smog exempt. There are smog prevention devices on the car that have to stay on the car to maintain what the manufacturer had to do to comply with smog laws.

You not only have altered emissions, you have an engine that was not meant for your Datsun. Yes, a cop can call you on the carpet, if they know what to look for. Most will just send you to the referee, do not pass go, do not collect a registration sticker. I know plenty of people who got caught in the rolling smog check and got sent to the referee. Imagine getting popped because you decided to put a 460 in your '71 Mustang instead of the 351 that was stock. There was no 460 in the Mustang that year. Same for the rotary in your Datsun. No Rotary for Datsuns!!!

What would Jay Leno think? Jay owns a lot of prized cars that are smog exempt. No smog checks because he picks cars that either did not have smog equipment attached or did not have enough smog equipment to make a difference anyway.

this.

Is there anything I should be worried about while putting my 510 together? Does this mean I cannot use my old rusty exhaust system?! sad.gif

Pre 73 are still smog exempt yeah? As long as it has a catalytic converter?

Make sure your evaporative emissions system is not leaking. The little tank above your gas tank should be there, intact and not leaking.

Your rusty exhaust system probably comprises of an old manifold, some questionable pipe and a muffler. No catalytic converter unless you removed it. My '73 610 had no catalytic converter, but it did have a pre-heater for the air cleaner. It has plumbing that runs from the carb to the evap tank, but I am not running a stock carb, so I sealed the linework. The evap tank is still there, and make damn sure you replace the line from the filler to the tank in case of pressure check. Don't go running some off the wall motor, and make double sure you are using a motor that came from the same year or newer vehicle.

Make sure your evaporative emissions system is not leaking. The little tank above your gas tank should be there, intact and not leaking.

Your rusty exhaust system probably comprises of an old manifold, some questionable pipe and a muffler. No catalytic converter unless you removed it. My '73 610 had no catalytic converter, but it did have a pre-heater for the air cleaner. It has plumbing that runs from the carb to the evap tank, but I am not running a stock carb, so I sealed the linework. The evap tank is still there, and make damn sure you replace the line from the filler to the tank in case of pressure check. Don't go running some off the wall motor, and make double sure you are using a motor that came from the same year or newer vehicle.

OK, Its an L20b with a single weber so its probably not a big deal. The exhaust system I think its a 2.5 or 3 inch one that was put on by the previous owner, I have no idea if its got a cat or not. And the manifold is not rusty, just the piping.

Thanks for the info.

OK, Its an L20b with a single weber so its probably not a big deal. The exhaust system I think its a 2.5 or 3 inch one that was put on by the previous owner, I have no idea if its got a cat or not. And the manifold is not rusty, just the piping.

Thanks for the info.

You sound like you're running pretty safe. Webers are somewhat allowable, as they are not something that would be considered oversized. The exhaust would heard, not seen, until the referee had a chance to determine compliance. A sealed, well maintained system is the key.

OK, Its an L20b with a single weber so its probably not a big deal. The exhaust system I think its a 2.5 or 3 inch

unless they decide that the smog pump is missing, youll likely never have an issue.

i went thought that w/a L20 w/a weber for an unreg car.

CHP signed off w/o a hassle. no smog pump either.

but now you know that something IS required, whether its ever caught, hopefully we never hear that story!

My 710 doesn't sound stock..... :lol:

it looks like the stock motor to me though..... :unsure: ............. It probably pollutes alot less that the stock motor would

I try to drive by the cops at 1700 rpms .......... they look at me funny,,,, and wonder why it is so quiet.... .... they think it should sound like a lawn mower (i.e. stock motor sound)

Swaps are legal, but say you put a '95 KA motor and trans into a Datsun, you have to have all the required smog stuff for '95 for it to be legal. Chances are good you can get away with it, but if a cop suspects something fishy, they can require you to go to a referee. Bottom line: have a reasonably quiet exhaust and drive it like you stole it..

How about the guys that put in Ka's in 510's?? The Ka's are smog legal but would it make a difference in 510's ?? Just wondering because lot of people doing this swap.

Swaps are legal, but say you put a '95 KA motor and trans into a Datsun, you have to have all the required smog stuff for '95 for it to be legal. Chances are good you can get away with it, but if a cop suspects something fishy, they can require you to go to a referee. Bottom line: have a reasonably quiet exhaust and drive it like you stole it..

Thanx Mark for the input