Your plans!

first you named the most overswapped engines in history

then you named the worst performance engine in history, the STI EJ, engineering nightmare, $900 labor to replace a $19 fuel hose. most terrible engineering design in the history of car engines, the flat 4, oh wait, no were not building a plane?!?!?,  yeah I was right the first time, worst, they also wear the pistons sideways due to gravity,  not to mention they have crap transmissions, that have a tendency for the synchros to go out. Did I mention that Subarus are Garbage? give me an EVO all day, at least I can work on that engine without wanting to murder engineers in their sleep. I swear I hope I dont find an EJ swapped Datsun on here, thats just sacrilege.

I agree that an ej series would probably be a terrible idea in a datsun...However your statement is one sided. Both the evo and sti are great cars leave it at that.

OT: My plans include a ka24et / torsen r180 lsd / mr2 struts up front and 510 coilovers in the rear with dampening control / and rear disk brakes :wub:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wanted to do a V6 conversion and yeh haters gonna hate.

I know there are issues with weight, fitting it all in etc etc.

Ideally I'd like to get hold of a 120Y or a 1200 sedan and build a nice little sleeper with a V6 auto.

Complete Holden's with the V6 drivetrain can be had for $500 (or less) down here.

Before I get too wrapped up in this though I need to stop fapping over dreams and finish my goon makeover :)

the only things I try to really hate on are LS engine conversions, Subarus, Honda dealerships (dont get me started), valueless inflation, and the Toyota GT-86(see also:reason number two)

but sorry to shit on anyone elses plans, an awd 510 sti conversion would be sick any way you cut it, even if it is a subaru.

Frankly I am debating on putting a RB20 or 25 in my 910 instead of the L28 I already have sitting here. I know that torque is gonna be easier to come by on the L series, but that higher redline and modernization of an RB is kind of nice. and right now I am seriously wishing that I did not have a freaking sunroof!!!!!!, damn rust!.

I am going to be modding the front suspension on the car for adjust bility once its back on the road and Im done restoring the interior and resetting all the damn glass.

I got a crack along the bottom of the inner stamping of the both front doors which is gonna have to be tacked back together so the door doesnt rattle when you close it.

I want newer seatbelt buckles and all that stuff, so Im gonna have to grab that at a yard from something similar.

then to figure out the seat upholstery, I think the designing the 910 into a "luxury car" was dumb, so the plush interior has gotta go, its not sporting, which is what the 910 should be, a Grand Touring car. not a luxury car. so I am restoring it to my interior specifications as such, no carpet on the doors, no plush seats, no more blue interior, and slightly less and more sound deadening in different areas.

luckily my car suffers from almost no rust, none on the chassis anyway, so I have been able to spend my money elsewhere.

I've always wanted to do a V6 conversion and yeh haters gonna hate.

I know there are issues with weight, fitting it all in etc etc.

Ideally I'd like to get hold of a 120Y or a 1200 sedan and build a nice little sleeper with a V6 auto.

Complete Holden's with the V6 drivetrain can be had for $500 (or less) down here.

Before I get too wrapped up in this though I need to stop fapping over dreams and finish my goon makeover :)

B210 hatchback Ford motor.

IMG_1512.jpg

lol, didn't see the agro response to my wish/plan, frankly still doesnt matter to me... boxers run great when well maintained, plus with the stock power on the late model sti's engine in a 510 would fly so personally I wouldn't see a point to mod it heavily enough to really break one, not to mention the awesome-ness an awd system would bring... My only reason for not suggesting an evo's drivetrain is really the exhaust note, i just like the tone on the subbies when lightly modded... Either way the evo's nor sti's drivetrain will be in the future of my 510, most likely ill end up with a ka, sr or maybe an LS :-)...

72240Z: The vq's are heavier irrc, but I do agree that a vq would probably be much easier to drive power wise compared to an ls1 or ls2...

-Rob

Nom nom nom, I like this!

Unfortunately was at the junkyard when I saw it, car was sweet. Engine fit pretty good too. I remember someone else was doing a similar swap. Car was probably in the junkyard mostly due to our draconian smog laws in Cali.  I bought a shit ton of the parts off of it too on the 1/2 price sale, so kinda mixed emotions there. I was sad to see it in the junkyard, but happy for the parts.

72240Z: The vq's are heavier irrc, but I do agree that a vq would probably be much easier to drive power wise compared to an ls1 or ls2...

-Rob

heavier then what? lol Its the lightest v6 Nissan makes/made. 

Unfortunately was at the junkyard when I saw it, car was sweet. Engine fit pretty good too. I remember someone else was doing a similar swap. Car was probably in the junkyard mostly due to our draconian smog laws in Cali.  I bought a shit ton of the parts off of it too on the 1/2 price sale, so kinda mixed emotions there. I was sad to see it in the junkyard, but happy for the parts.

thats exactly why it was there i looked at that car a friend of mine wanted to buy it but i told him with the swap it wouldnt pass smog

they actually break less when their modded, a stock sti is much worse, trust me.

No shit?!? Hmm, maybe the newer boxer engines aren't too strong... I helped a buddy swap out the boxer in a late 80's subbie, he ran that thing for 4 years of college and only the stock turbo was starting to give at the end of it... I honestly am not too familiar with subbies...

heavier then what? lol Its the lightest v6 Nissan makes/made.

heavier than LS1's, when I first got my 510 i started researching engines to swap and I spoke to my truck tuner (he's very familiar with LS motors) and he was giving me the stats on the ls1's, iirc they're only a few pounds heavier than a vq with trans an accessories...

No, the vq is about 320 and lsx about 400. The 350z 6 speed is about 150lbs and the T56 6 speed is 130lbs
So vq set up is 470lb and vq 530lb give or take. 60lbs is significant enough as well as having a shorter area for that weight. 

It would be pretty gross if a v6 vq weighed more then a v8 lsx lol. Even though its dohc and all that... 

Something thats interesting though is a sr20det is about 310lb. So everyone that condones the 4 cylinder swap but downs the vq swap is off base. 300hp n/a at 320lb or 220-250hp turbo at 310lb? V6 is shorter too with no IC or piping keeping weight down even further and more towards the center. 

• Like 1

Mike? Did you mean me or am I really tired lol...

The vg30dett weighs over 600lbs!!! 750ish with transmission lmao, such a pig of an engine. Also adds the difficulty of having 2 turbos, piping, ic(s) in the way. vg30et is about 460lbs I believe, almost 600 with transmission. 

Its pretty crazy, cast iron blocks/mani's/turbos pack on the lbs. I feel like the more modern all alum options are just far superior. I mean even the vh45de only weighs 500lbs. The stock l28 in a 280z is 500lbs lol.

The biggest draw back of the vq as I see it, is all the bullshit electronics. Having the body and engine harness combined through god knows how many computers is just annoying. Its becoming mainstream to use in swaps so there are methods and services but still I rather not have to deal with it. I'm trying to get a flood 350z back on the road atm and let me tell you its no picnic dealing with all that bs.  

• 2 weeks later...

well this is kind of a neat thread...

where to start..

say if the KA doesnt shit out any time soon, its going to get:

new rockers and shafts

timing kit

s13 cam

oil pump

matchbox distributor

if it does shit out, its LSx time.. flame on me all you want, but you cant beat a LS v8...

prolly do a 5.3 with bolt ons, and a 5 speed.

continuing...

plan on the suspension is post 83 720 LCAs, spindles and brakes.

SVO521 got a set of upper control arms that were real trick. kinda like what jesusno2 was doin on the CA521..

keeping the torsions. i dont need them out of the way for anything right now.

get rid of the leafs in the back.

install the 3 link, panhard and coil overs in the back..

after that, i think i should be well enough done..

Plans? Drive it as long as I can, leaving the engine as it is.

A veggie oil tank would be nice.

The Subaru engines are pretty damn good by the way. There are 5 Subarus in my family; none of which have less than 250,000 miles on them. I drove the hell out of mine, running it on Pfeiffer P3 oil because I already had plenty of it and only paid $400 for the car anyway (police impound auction). This doesn't mean Evos aren't good though. They are. Why all the A vs B ranting? It's not like we're talking about 1990 Yugos here. There is more than one good car manufacturer out there. I'd say that's a good thing.

meh, Mitsubishi trumps Subaru in the performance and technology sector all day as far as I am concerned.. Subaru's engines are kind of old technology, the boxer 4 cylinder isnt really that efficient, their all pretty damn reliable though, well, as long as you dont buy a WRX or WRX STi, those things are always plagued with issues, at least from my experience.

New plan...

Button stuff up.

carpet corners for example.

(btw... thanks Yardsale Gods... you f ing rock.)

Datsunbuttonups.jpg

that... and install new 6x9 kicken ass speakers in the back floor boxes when the UPS guy brings'em.

Heck... I may even button down the speaker boxes.