TurboHLS30's '75 280z

Well, I've finally decided that I'm tired of seeing the Z sit. So I'm going to do a L28et swap and get it running, because I get my license soo and I need something to drive that will get decent gas mileage. The plan is to swap the motor, swap out the turbo with a Garrett unit I have, put a 300zx turbo ECU in, and put some 440cc injectors and call it a day. If I can get it done for less than $2,000 I'd be happy and can still compete in the GRM $2011 Challenge. So if anyone out there has a L28et, let me know :D

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold the carbs, manifold, and linkage. Bought a L28et long block with 96k for $100, picked up an intake, fuel rail, and throttle body for $50 so I have $150 in the motor so far and I'm going to use a turbo manifold that I have and a Garrett turbo that I have that I was going to use for the Miata I was going to build for the challenge, got it and a couple of other things for $25 from a dad's friend that was getting rid of a bunch of car stuff. I have some 440cc injectors that I got in the deal with the turbo. So slowly but surely the motor swap is getting put together.

This coming from a kid who barely updates his status on his car and can't spell worth crap and another who flip flops on turbo motors and needs more pics of his S130. tongue.gif

Its his build let him do it the way he wants, That triple's with turbo setup would have been a f***** for him to tune without lots of knowledge I think this is a good step but let him do it the way he wants, he has no obligation to do it any other way then his own. I know I have changed my mind on my Z plenty of times.

Anyways let us watch and see what comes from it before we have to start posting boobs.

Hey i cant help it the Ipod touch auto spell sucks dick and im to lazy to go back and read everything. And i update my thread more then him. so what now? :fu: :fu:

• Like 1

Jalen: Stop worrying, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show :P . School gets out on the 27th, so after that is when the real action will start :D

Ratty: Thanks, people just don't understand these days. But this swap is finalized because like I said, I'm tired of my babu sitting.

Bez: I kinda wish I didn't either but the surface rust was getting BAD so I had to do something. The motor on the other hand, I regret selling now because if I still had it I would buy the dished pistons and P90 head and I'd have a turbo motor.

• Like 1

Jalen: Stop worrying, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show :P . School gets out on the 27th, so after that is when the real action will start :D

Ratty: Thanks, people just don't understand these days. But this swap is finalized because like I said, I'm tired of my babu sitting.

Bez: I kinda wish I didn't either but the surface rust was getting BAD so I had to do something. The motor on the other hand, I regret selling now because if I still had it I would buy the dished pistons and P90 head and I'd have a turbo motor.

No problem, I also looked up that 5 speed info for you (i'm 19762802+2 on hybridz.org) after some research it looks like the early 5 speed from the 280z's can handle around 300hp and too much after that and 3rd gear will grenade. Just search 2eightz4me and it should come up with the thread towards the top of the list.

Also if you need some Dished pistons I just pulled some out of my N42 motor, should be exactly same as the turbo pistons.

No problem, I also looked up that 5 speed info for you (i'm 19762802+2 on hybridz.org) after some research it looks like the early 5 speed from the 280z's can handle around 300hp and too much after that and 3rd gear will grenade. Just search 2eightz4me and it should come up with the thread towards the top of the list.

Also if you need some Dished pistons I just pulled some out of my N42 motor, should be exactly same as the turbo pistons.

Ahhh, ok cool. I'll take a look at it a little later.

Sweet man. I can't wait for school to be out. All my car rally does is sit right now.

You got a job yet?

My car has been doing the same thing for more than 2 years now. I actually just got a job last week at a local skating rink.

Went out to the junkyard today and found a '80's Maxima and I'm going to try to get the rear caliper brakets off tomorrow. Why are these brakets important? They are what I need to convert to disks in the rear. It still has the complete motor also so I'm going to dee what I can grab off of it tomorrow. I also saw a 300zx (Z32) out there with a complete motor and transmission and suspension. I want to get the calipers off of that for the front brake and then I'm pretty sure I'll be set for brakes.

Also got a package deal on 3 brand new head gaskets and 2 intake/exhaust gaskets for $55 shipped

Also, the Z and I might be featured in Grassroots Magazine in the next couple of months. They're putting together an article about kids in high school that build/built their own cars, and they emailed me and I spoke to them on the phone for a good half hour about the Z. The article will feature me, my friend that has a Miata, my other friend that has an E30 and a Triumph Spitfire, and a couple other local kids. They want to get everyone together and take some pics of all of the cars in 2 weeks. So I have 2 weeks to get it running and driving, wish me luck :D

• Like 2

Got my turbo intake manifold/throttle body/injectors/turbo distributor today B) Now I just have to go pick up my motor tomorrow and pay for the Z31 ECU and harness, and I should have the complete swap put together. This week I'm going to work on getting the motor in the Z out and get the head gasket and trans on the new motor. I have a feeling that I'm still going to be able to compete in the Challenge :D

• Like 2

Thanks, today I removed the hood and started removing the suspension so that I can swap the springs and paint the suspension parts. I removed the driveshaft also, but I'm going to stop there because I want to get the other motor together so that as soon as I pull the motor I can put the other in. There's a powder coating place down the street from where the Z is and I'm going to see how much it would be to powder coat the manifold, valve cover, suspension stuff, and maybe the wheels. More to come soon.

• Like 2