Problems with my Z22 swap....HELP!

fiveNdime

Damn it!

Why does this always happen to me. I spend copious amounts of time putting my swaps in and when its time to drive they crap all over themselves. Those of you who know me will laugh...hahaha..shut yer face

now the 521 swap is making noise. Its a lower end knock. couldnt hear it when I had no exhaust but I brought it home from the exhaust shop today pulled in the garage and Presto, a noise. So the only thing I can figure it is, is I switched the pans over and not the oil pickup. They looked the same from a bit of studying but maybe I am wrong. The pan came off the stock L16 and is bolted to a 81 720 pickup block. Tell me if I screwed up!

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see that this is an LZ22 motor so it should have an L oil pan and pick up to correct for the L series tilt to the right side. But all is not lost... even with the Z22 oil pick up tube tilted off center, it should still be immersed in lots of oil. Lots of times cars are run on side angles more than 11 degrees and they don't starve for oil.

What does your oil pressure gauge say? If the pressure is up then it's OK (just put the right pick up in (asap)) Were the rod caps off? Was the crank checked? New bearings?

A buddy once rebuilt his Chevy six and on the way home from work the first day he drove it,... it started to knock. He pulled the motor then the pan and found that he had forgotten to finish torque one of the rods. Re-re-torqued it and was fine. It happens.

you swapped the 510 oil pan out for the 521 pan but did not change the pickup tube, CORRECT?

I would guess that it could cause the noise. if that is the case, pull the pan off, change the pickup tube, and make sure that it's FULL of 20w50, that should solve the problem.

A couple hours later I have fixed the problem. I didnt replace the oil pickup tube, no need for this cause it sits just the same as the other one. What had happened is the front of the pan is higher which in this case the rod cap hit the pan ever so slightly to make a mark 1/16"x 5/16" in size. So I knocked it out a bit for clearence. now there is no noise and all is well with the 521.....and since the motor was quieter I fixed a couple exhaust leaks while I was at it, but it still sounds like a diesel.

A couple hours later I have fixed the problem. I didnt replace the oil pickup tube, no need for this cause it sits just the same as the other one. What had happened is the front of the pan is higher which in this case the rod cap hit the pan ever so slightly to make a mark 1/16"x 5/16" in size. So I knocked it out a bit for clearence. now there is no noise and all is well with the 521.....and since the motor was quieter I fixed a couple exhaust leaks while I was at it, but it still sounds like a diesel.

Ahh. The Z22 has a longer rod throw too.

AHH.

to get it to fire. Simple I guess you could say. What it was was that I had a power wire that was hot when on but not hot when in the starting position so my dizy wasnt getting power when it was cranking. It fired once probebly because it caught it just right and fired. So I just wired a constant hot from starter switch and it was fixed. I didnt have the factory switch and no diagram so I had to hunt for wires. I figured it had a longer throw then the Standard L motor

Cant bring it tuesday night....hahahaha f#*kn funny ish:fu:......wheel fell off when I was headed down the driveway so I am in need of longer wheel studs in the rear. Not enought bite with the spacers, and yes I need spacers for the 4" drop so my tire will clear the shock plate under the axle. Thankfully no damage.

But the thing sounds awsome with the new noise system unner neath!

Only time I had a wheel come off was my wife's '79 Cutlass. The axle was still attached! I was going slow and it felt funny so I looked out the rear pass window and I could see the tire turning. The axle was still in the axle tube... for a while.

For the answer. Yes I think we all have to experience the wheel falling off syndrome. For some reason me and my brother have only had it happen in our 521's. I wired the whole engine compartment over again using a 280Z fuse box which I must say is way better then the stock fuse block. Hey kyle I just knocked the studs out with the BFH

(big fu*kn hammer) that way I didnt have to try and they came out extreemly easy. I think I can weasel the new ones in but I may have to pull the backing plate and brake stuff off. I have a pic of the damn sexy slide hammer I may have to use. Note to self....get the dang truck off jack stands

slidehammer.jpg

This is what my coil looks like and where the wires are going

IMG_0020.jpg

lol that crazy SOB josh never takes em off the jack stands and just beats the crap out of it with sldie hammer till it comes out. I am very surprised he hasnt had a car come off the jackstands other than the turbo hatch. That was because he didnt balance it right htough. peace.

• 10 months later...
Dos any one have a wiring diagram for the z22 win swapping to a signal starter coil dos that make any scents

I'm confused as to which motor you are going to run.

If you are building an LZ22 hybrid, it will look exactly like an L20B from the outside including the distributor, the coil and the wiring. Nothing changes.