Project Grey_Matter

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW! The truck looks amazing! :thumbup: It always amazes me how just swappin g the rims & tires can totally transform a Datto. Keep it up & ditch that pile o :poop: Hitachi & get a weber on there. Then check for vacum leaks.

Good to see her sittin outside :cool:

i know right...hahaha

i took it to a local car was that allows motor cleaning and i sprayed out the engine bay to see if i can locate the oil leak...its a pretty massive leak.

but all in all it is running great now, the valves are good and it accelerates fairly smooth. im just not used to driving something with 65hp...lol

hell my jetski is making more horse power than 65...lol

where the oil leak?

Back by trans? could be a main oil seal.

by oil pump? try regasket

also if still using the old oil sender with the wire comming out. I had one leak badly . I thought my oil pan gasket was bad but the sender diaphrame was bad and leaked oil enough to make the oil pan gasket look bad. I replaced it and helped alot.

the oil sending unit is a major contributor to the oil leak, i picked on up today...it might be the only leak, i will know for sure later in the week after driving it to see if the leak stops

oil pump im assuming is near the base of the distributor and the left side of the engine is fairly clean it all seems to be occuring on the right side of the motor

anyone know of a place that rebuilds drive lines?

preferably local in socal.

im getting an unusual noise and i have a feeling its from the carrier bearing, but it is quite possible it's the clutch/throwout bearing.

what its doing is making a metal on metal noise and seems to be speed related, but once it starts it does it till i come to a stop, when i take off again it doesn't do it till i get up to a certain speed (i think about 30mph) the noise its making is kinda hard to describe so i made an attempt to get a sound clip via my gopro video camera, the sound was useless, the mic is too sensitive.

the best way to describe the noise is to imagine a metal fan spinning and while its spinning something hits it....then every once in a while it sounds like a wheel bearing that siezed (imagine a metal on metal howl)

datto510 had a noise on his 521 when installed a 5 speed.

What happen is he went more than 3inch lower in the back and put stresson carrier bearing.

he put a spacer between frame and carrier baering and noise stopped.

Correct. I raised mine 2 inches using a section of square tubing & longer nuts / bolts. Dont drive it untill you adress this issue, replacement [NEW] carrier bearing are getting hard to find. Lemme know if you need a pic.

• Like 1

Correct. I raised mine 2 inches using a section of square tubing & longer nuts / bolts. Dont drive it untill you adress this issue, replacement [NEW] carrier bearing are getting hard to find. Lemme know if you need a pic.

please...let me get a pic...how far have you gone down? im at a total of 6" from stock height (i measured before i ever lowered it)

datto510 had a noise on his 521 when installed a 5 speed.

What happen is he went more than 3inch lower in the back and put stresson carrier bearing.

he put a spacer between frame and carrier baering and noise stopped.

i owe both of you a BBQ at my house.....

i spaced the carrier bearing today and just got back from the test drive...today was the first time i felt good enough to take the truck up to 60mph...and it did it flawlessly the noise is completely gone

datto 510 had the noise in 5th gear. I forgot to mention this. But I figure you went even lower this might be the case.

another bad thing to do is removing to many springs and it will cause axle wrap under hard accelleration.

i removed them all, but not worried about wrapping. im not trying to race anyone :)

how i lowered this truck is only temporary, i went the cheapest rout possible, only because i will be installing a reverse link cantilever setup.

please...let me get a pic...how far have you gone down? im at a total of 6" from stock height (i measured before i ever lowered it)

I just went a "few" inches... ;)

1248224264.jpg

& here you can see the new crossmember i made so it sits above the frame rail...

4-3newXmember.jpg?t=1281165074

when you bag yours it will drag occasionally unless you raise it up.

PCD...did you re-index the torsion arms? i notice they are tucked away quite nicely.

since you are on bags, why didnt you remove them completely?

tomorrow morning (this morning since its after midnite) i am taking the truck onto the freeway for another attempt at its driveability....i hope it goes well, im bringing my mountain bike just in case...lol