Another New Guy...

Hey guy, I've been reading along for a while, thought I'd say "hi".

My real name is James. I don't how I ended up with KB100 as my screen name... typo when I registered... oh well...

I've owned eight 510s, three Roadsters, two 411 SSS, a Pulsar NX SE, an S12, and a B15 (current DD - 2004 Spec V), along with a whole slew of various S10, S110, S12, and other parts car. I bought my first Datsun (Orange Crush - an orange 4 door '71 510) in 1993 and sold it in 2005. It was the first to come and the last to go.

Lately I have found myself longing for another Datsun. I have my eye on a friend's 1200 Coupe. The deal is made, but it's 1200 miles away from my house. I've seen the car in person, ridden in it, I know I want it, but I have to figure out how to haul it back to Indiana from New Mexico. I just bought a house, money is tight, I can't really afford to have it shipped. Plus when I had my 510 wagon shipped years ago, the company fucked it up and gave me a refund and $300 and wrote it off. I don't trust my baby to anyone any more.

SDC11131-1.jpg

SDC11132-1.jpg

SDC11133-1.jpg

If I get the car, I want to keep it simple and period correct. The car is too nice IMO to go cutting up the floor for a larger trans or that kind of thing.

I do want to autocross the car so my mods will probably mostly be suspension/brake stuff.

So yeah... Hey everybody!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitch hike there n drive it back :rofl:

Welcome, hope you get it!

Thanks! I hope I get it too.

I'm actually flying out on the 3rd of June. But that's a long long drive in a 40 year old car... with no AC... in June...

I'm leaning towards renting a truck and tow dolly.

Thanks! I hope I get it too.

I'm actually flying out on the 3rd of June. But that's a long long drive in a 40 year old car... with no AC... in June...

I'm leaning towards renting a truck and tow dolly.

I know what you mean, i have taken my 1980 720 on 7-9 hour drives before (each way!!) It sucked lol. No AC and over 100 in eastern washington sucks.

C'mon, no Datsun properly talked to before the trip, would EVER let a conscientious owner down. I say fly in drive back, stop by a 7-11 for a big block of ice for the AC!

C'mon, no Datsun properly talked to before the trip, would EVER let a conscientious owner down. I say fly in drive back, stop by a 7-11 for a big block of ice for the AC!

That's definitely still on the maybe list. If it comes down to it I will, but I really dread that idea. More out of sympathy for the car than for myself.

@DarkBullet...

The best I can do anymore is have my southwest connections keep an eye open for something. And they just don't turn up as often as the used to.

I'm sure all of them that were sold in this area - and they didn't sell many - rusted away years ago. I think finding one out west and hauling it back is the only way to go.

There's an S10 200SX on Craigslist in Bullitt county right now. Not exactly a 510, but still Datsun. And funky Datsun at it's best...

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1742577902.html

Actually looks like it might be in decent shape...

Welcome.

While driving 1200 miles in a 1200 would give you some serious street cred, it would take forever. You'd never forget the experience though. Fly in with some spare boxers, ViceGrips, a roll of DuctTape and a Visa card. Drive it home :thumbup: .

Yet another Indiana Ratsuner!

Where are you located?

I know what you mean about shipping. I've had my 620's shipped here from down south. It sucks,but there's none around here.

I'm in New Albany. You?

Oddly there is a really nice apple green 521 a couple of blocks from my house. It's got a little rust here and there, but no way it's spent it's whole life in Indiana... unless someone really loves it.

It's the only pre-1980 Datsun I see on a regular basis. Oh there is the ocasional Z, but even those are going extinct.

When I lived in New Mexico, I could drive out into desert and find Datsun gold all over the place. And many times I could drive it home for less than $500.

Here, if I find anything, it's mostly Datsun iron-oxide.

Then again, the cars were 20 years newer (as was I) when I was looking for them in New Mexico.