My 521 build

67 411

ok i made some progress over the las few days

i have spent alota time on the front end of this truck and i am still working on it, might be hard to tell from the pics but its getting better.

then i pulled the cab off the frame so now i can do the rust repair on the bottom of the cab, its worse than i thought.

IMG_6152.jpg

crazy greasy cross members

IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg:D

damn rust, cant wait to get my welder

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6157.jpg

passenger side way way better except the smashed part

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6158.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that attitude! :thumbup:

Yeah i never understood trailer queens, if i build somthing i am gonna drive the shit out of it. This truck is gonna look good and be fast, im gonna probily sell it after 2011 and build a rall car or somthing else. i have allready been thinking about my next project lol. maby a rear engine 240z take a fwd sr20det and stick that in :thumbup:

Scraped about 5 pounds of grease and crap off the truck and frame. Next is removeing the brackets and crap I don't need on the frame and then paint. After that I will move to the front end rebuild it and weld a new back half of the frame on. Yay

• 1 month later...

so i have a small update

I talked to AZhitman and he was able to get me some aprox measurements off of his rb25det, and i was able to get things figured out on my truck .

The engine will fit!!!!!!! it will be tight but it will fit. I have allready drawn up somthing to relocate the shifter location and it should work great.

I cut the torsion bars off last night and removed the crossmember, its alot lower now lol, i thinks its about were i want it though. I dont know much about torsion bars, i am planning on getting qa1 coilover shocks to replace them. Anyone know what other stuff i have to mod to do this upgrade?

finaly got a pic

hope this makes sence, this is how i have measured out the rb in my 521

from left to right

first the crank pully will be almost up to the fron of the frame were the blue tape starts

next is the white line over the blue tape thats the stock firewall right now

6 inches back from the stock firewall is the black line which is were the new one i made will be put in at thats about 1 inch after the trans bolts the the block

next there are four orangeish dots the first one is the begining of the stock shifter cutout in the cab the next is were i have to relocate my shifter to and the third is the end of the opening

after that is the last dot which is were the actual shifter ill try and write it all out in paint or somthing soon

IMG_6402.jpg

I would need a Oic. of the transmission, how does the shift lever work on it, are you going to be able to move it forward, does it work like the B210 autos where the shift lever connection is forward and the shifter itself is back and there is a long rod connecting the two? If so, then the rod could be shortened, that would be easy, but I am not familiar with the drive train your using and you have posted no Oics. of it. wayno

ok got some Oic's for you

this is the rb trans i got the image from GTRPWR Forums

TransClean2.jpg

TransClean.jpg

and here is a pic of what i wana do with thr rb25det, but i hopefully will get a rips racing intake not greddy image from swap-wiring.com

RB25DET2.jpg

i will try and draw a pic for my idead of the shifter relocater

i found a pic of rips racing rb30det they have in their worlds fastest 240z image is from automotiveaxis.com i would love to do this and have the worlds fastest 521 :devil:

RIPS-240z-BOOST-photo-shoot-003-Lg.jpg

anyone who is into the rb engines should check out My link to rips racing

I don't know why I thought you were going to use an automatic, as long as you don't have to lift or push down on the shifter to get it in any gear you should be able to move it forward with a linkage setup of some kind, it will have to be sturdy though to take the sideways/twisting torque, and made well with tight tolerances so it won't be sloppy. You have patience guy, when I start something I want to get it done or I will lose focus and start on something else. Is that a T5? wayno

Thanks wayno, I have a idea on the shifter and I think it should work out well. I do want it done though but not at the expence of doing it right. I did decide to skip most the body work so I can try and make it to canby this year. The t5 you asked about you ment the turbo on the rips car right? I can't rember what size it is. Hopefully I will be making some major progress soon, but it always comes down to money.

• 1 month later...

here is a link to a video of a rb25det powerd 521 729499.jpgDatsun%20521%20pickup%20vs%20Mustang%205.0"]729499.jpgDatsun 521 pickup vs Mustang 5.0[/url] kinda sucks that it has been done allready but i still wana finish my truck. I have been fixing up my dash and cleaning up suspension parts so i can pint them and re install it all.

here is another 521 with a toyota 2jz 641629.jpg71 Datsun 521

I will try and post some pics soon i know we all love pics, hopefull i will have the money soon to buy the QA1 coilovers and get the disc conversion from mike.

• 1 month later...

that motor in a 521 would be insane!!!! still thinking your gonna have it done by canby? That would be sweet to see. Im hoping to get started on my body work soon and get the truck repainted right quick. atleast have my base OD green layed down... we will see. still got quite a bit of work before then. finish shaving a few things and clean up some old filler work that is cracking.