My 521 build

67 411

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What vehicle is the 8.8 out of? I've read about the explorer rear ends being offset and the internals will not swap over from a mustang 8.8 rear end.

My stock 720 axle is about 56-1/4". But I'm looking to get a rear end with 54" or less and narrow the frame to allow a wider wheel.

IMG_0964a.jpg

It is of set my 8.8 is 3" shorter on the driver side. So I have been trying to find another shortside axle shaft, baxters wants 188 and I found a used one for 100 at lkq. But I'm thinking about just selling my shafts for 100 for the pair and then have dutchman make me a nice set for 240 for the pair.if I get a pair made they will be stronger and I can get it down to the exact size of the origonal. As for the caddy steering wheel and column the wheel it the same size as the datsun one, but the column is longer by 3" so I will have to shorten that. I think it will be worth it to have tilt and telescoping though. Nis720 if you have the cash I think the 8.8 is the way to go cuz you get the disc brake with it.

i have been looking at the fornt suspension and i dont like the torshon bars, i was wondering if anyone has ever gotten rid of them. Or maby it would be easyier to just put the suspension from somthing else on. Anyone have any advice?

I have been thinking about a airbag setup. This is my first project were I wana redo the front suspension, so I might be asking a dumb question but if I run airbags can I lose those torshon bars?

I do beleave that is one of the reasons for the airbags, to remove the torsion bars, then you can lower it all the way to the ground. I also beleave you loose all your handling, I run airbags in the rear of my dually 521 as overloads, when I load it up the back end becomes a rubber ball, like a car with no shocks, bouncy, uncontrolable, maybe you can run shocks on a airbag suspension, that I don't know. I have never been in that type(4 airbags) of car to know how they ride. How about it guys, would you drive a 100 miles over a mountain pass with an airbag suspension vehicle, without dipping under the speed limit? Could you drive it like I drive my 1967 datsun 2000 roadster over that pass? wayno

Yes, airbags will replace the torsion bars. The bars simply support the weight of the vehicle, the shocks keep the bouncing in control. The airbags would take over the support, but as wayno said, it will most likely bounce if you do not put shocks on. There have been a couple of guys on here that have done bags with no shocks and swear that the ride isn't bad....but I doubt it would meet wayno's criteria. The challenge with bags is that they take up ALL of the room for shocks. You'd have to figure out a mount for the shock that was on the outside of the A-arms, without being in the way of the tire at full steering lock. The coil over suspension in the pic is an awesome way to go, but more expensive and not easily adjustable....meaning you can't adjust it on the fly like you can with airbags.

just read through this thread and saw my name! ahah.. sweet. Cool build so far. when i used two short side axles off a ranger, it measures 53.5" axle to axle. Add some disk brake and add approx .5 on each side bringing the total width to about 54.5".

DSCF3808.jpg

The junkyards around here don't want to sell just the axle shafts lol so that kinda screws that for me. If I got 2 shortside axles I would still be to wide I think I'm gonna have some made instead.

So I took a bunch of final measurements on the back of the frame today and then cut the frame rails pretty close to the back of the cab. So now I'm going to start makeing templets for my new rear frame. Ill try and post a pic of the cranage soon

sycloned916 put a pair of these on his 520 project, I do not know if his is lowered like you are planning, you'd have to ask him. I have also seen some projects with air bags, but they are made to put the rockers on the ground. wayno

.Datsun52055.jpg

I think i like this setup the most, and i figure i might modify the crossmember anyways so the torsion bars have to go.

There's plenty of room for the coilovers,I was going to notch the upper arms to clear them but did not have to. One thing I noticed the sway bar is in the way abit but just depends on how and were you mount the brackets,I could go another 1in out on the top and bottom mounts just depends on were you want your ride set.

• 2 weeks later...

Fo0manchu are you talking about replaceing the whole ends of the axle houseing with 9" ends. I had heard that the 8.8 would take as much abuse as a 9". I am hopeing to have 500-600 whp so if a 8.8 can't take that I have a problem.

Fo0manchu are you talking about replaceing the whole ends of the axle houseing with 9" ends. I had heard that the 8.8 would take as much abuse as a 9". I am hopeing to have 500-600 whp so if a 8.8 can't take that I have a problem.

8.8 can take the power, however you would need c-clip eliminators. But those are only good on the straights. I am talking about using the whole ends of the 9" axles. Ford 8.8 with that much power will break the c-clips and send the axles flying. However people have argued the point that if you have disk break's with the 8.8 then you have nothing to worry about.