Project 620 - Build Thread

79D50

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can you get the clear markers?

I had those special made. I sent a guy one of my originals and he made a mold/cast and poured these. They are exact matches but clear. They have UV protectant in the material so unlike cheap EBAY clears, they will not yellow. You can't get these anywhere. I had a thread started to see who wanted to go in with me but all I got was a bunch of useless opinions so I abondoned getting more made.

I had a thread started to see who wanted to go in with me but all I got was a bunch of useless opinions so I abondoned getting more made.

Ratsun at its...usual? They lenses look awesome. What are you gonna do for headlights?

Yeah I remember that thread and it died because, if I remember, it isn't legal to have them on.

It's perfectly legal if you have colored bulbs which I have. My stock Lexus has clear tailights with colored bulbs and that is from the factory. Pointless to discuss further - that thread is dead.

2eDeYe' date='03 February 2011 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1296785439' post='422054']

What are you gonna do for headlights?

I've got a couple of options. I have a set of E-Code CIBIE h4's, a set of Hella E-Code H4's and a set of BMW E39 Ellipsoids. I will probably install the ellipsoids to see how they look with a good quality 9006 IRE. If I don't like the look I will go with the CIBIE or Hellas...It is all for looks as I will rarely drive the truck at night.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

**Resurrection**

The truck was completed in 2012. It was entered into numerous shows and photographed to death. Shortly after, it was parked in the corner of my garage, covered, and forgotten. It hasn't touched blacktop in 4 years.

One of the main reasons is the drum brakes were shot and it became dangerous to drive. Long story short, priorities shifted, I bought another house and started a family. Two months ago, I decided to pull back the cover and get her back on the road. I built a really kick ass drivetrain for this truck back in 2010 and never put it in the truck. That little L18 ran well and without the proper suspension and brakes, the truck would have been unstable and an accident waiting to happen - too much power.

I contacted Jason Pope on this site and we started discussing the project work left to make this 100% and get me back on the road. I have decided to put  4 wheel independent suspension  and 4 wheel disc brakes underneath her. This is the full swap to include the WATTS 4 link rear set-up and QA1 coil-overs. It includes Jason's trick front end pieces and 300ZX calipers plus all the hodge podge of miscellaneous parts. At the end of the day, the truck will handle and ride like a modern car and be safe for the power transplant.

The truck is all ready to go and is being transported to Oregon this weekend. When I get her back, I need to figure out the geometry and fab the motor mounts, tranny mounts and driveline. I need professional help with this and am open to references on guys who know what their doing. The plan is to get this in the magazines, and ultimately sell the truck.

I will have some pictures up of what she looks like today and Jason has agreed to snap some photos during the build. I will keep this updated as I now have a renewed interest. Also, anybody have a real nice dash insert (brown) they want to sell? I originally painted mine and glued vinyl inside the gauge pods but want to go a different way. Please PM me if you're a seller.

Good to be back! These trucks are addicting and it is fun having this project resurrected. Will do a photo shoot later today and get them up. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...