Izzo got a dime

izzo

dunno why i update this shit anymore, last 5 posts were by me :rolleyes:

Did some work for a mechanic friend of mine today, he gave me 20 bucks and an engine stand he got for free (funny part was i only did about 20 seconds worth of work :rofl:) Fucking score!

So, got the L20B block up on it (thanks kevin for the block) Got the timing gasket cleaned off, worked on the head surface for about an hour with a razor blade. Called it a day, washed out the piston area really well, cleaned with scrubby pad to get all the debris out. Shot some WD40 on there to keep it from rusting for now, ill clean it off when the time comes...

Datto510 -- If you read this sir, i need to borrow teh cherry picker for a week er two ;)

2010-10-06-181410.jpg

2010-10-06-181402.jpg

2010-10-06-181353.jpg

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Block Looks good Izzo ,,, those cylinders don't look to play with :D

What kind of "build" are you doing on the engine ? :) ( cam , rings , head/valves )

Color you painting the block too ? :lol:

If your not gonna have the block "Hot Tanked" ,,, I popped all of the core plugs outta my last rebuild block, and Coolant block drain , and just pressure washed the living snott out of the cooling system along let-alone the oil gallerys ( with gas chasers ) ,,,,,,,, Alarming how much debris was betweeen the cylinders/coolant passages :blink: you couldn't see between 2 of them before at all ,,,, now you can ;) :lol:

Athough Hot Tanking seems to be a good option :lol:

Block Looks good Izzo ,,, those cylinders don't look to play with :D

What kind of "build" are you doing on the engine ? :) ( cam , rings , head/valves )

Color you painting the block too ? :lol:

If your not gonna have the block "Hot Tanked" ,,, I popped all of the core plugs outta my last rebuild block, and Coolant block drain , and just pressure washed the living snott out of the cooling system along let-alone the oil gallerys ( with gas chasers ) ,,,,,,,, Alarming how much debris was betweeen the cylinders/coolant passages :blink: you couldn't see between 2 of them before at all ,,,, now you can ;) :lol:

Athough Hot Tanking seems to be a good option :lol:

The passages looked to be in decent shape, ill run some gas down some of hte passages tomorrow and see what comes out (maybe light on fire to burn the shit out, and for a killer show haha j/k)

IIRC the bearings and stuff were ok, i'll have to ask the previous owner again. Plans were to clean up the block, paint it that duplicolor engine paint orange, along with the valve cover/oil pan. I have a U67 thats already been rebuilt, super clean timing cover, new timing kit, new gasket kit, new water pump. Shit, basically just need to get the old motor out and use some of the bolts from it to get this done. I have a longer dizzy shaft for the l20. brand new clutch kit (need to check on the collar, not sure if i can use whats in there now not sure). Might put a cam in there, not sure, not sure what its got in there now. Getting a single side draft 40MM Weber DCOE for it also.

Heres how the previous motor was painted.

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Light it on fire ,,, ollz ,,,, ^^^ oics :lol: ,,,, ^^^ That last motor looks clean ! :cool:

Schweet deal ! ,,,

I use the Plasti Gauge Strips which are like $2 a string ( you need 2 usually ) ,,, I guess I am paranoid and always flip over the block/pop the pan off and check the bearings while I have one on the stand ,,, maybe take 1.5-2 hours or so for me to do ( I am a slow worker :lol: ) ,,, really do need an old credit card/vacuum to get it off afterward :blink: ;)

Good Deal on the L20B man ,,, :D

Hmm, maybe i should do that, dont think it would take but a few minutes to try the plastigauge. but i dont have new bearings to install either. hrm.. well see

That's what I thought about the time ^^^ ollz ,,,, took about 2 times longer than expected for me ,,, but I'm slow

Yup ,,, but if you find one outta spec ,,, save you time replacing while on stand right ? you don't have to buy main/connecting rod bearings in sets if you don't need all of them ( can buy individual ) ,,,,, just a thought ;)

But again I just replace all of mine in sets if I find one outta spec ,,,,,,,,, because I'm paranoid :lol:

Datto510 -- If you read this sir, i need to borrow teh cherry picker for a week er two ;)

It's there for the taking! When you gonna go and pick it up? Your gonna have to wrestle it out of the garage, both of the dattos are down at the moment.

It's there for the taking! When you gonna go and pick it up? Your gonna have to wrestle it out of the garage, both of the dattos are down at the moment.

what happened man?? Think it would fit thru the back door? Does it come apart at all :rofl:

i have the front cover off that very L20 b that kevo gave ya...should i add it to your pile mr izzo....well added anyway...lol

LOL yeah man, add it to the pile! Thanks :D Ill find something to use it on soon.

Here is the one i got from bagged datsun almost a year ago

2010-10-07-101404.jpg

lol....im gonna have to post a pic of your pile....lol...its pretty big now.....2 boxes and part of the floor....and growing

Say what! Post pics man lol dying to see now! I got my kid this weekend and a football game to goto, but should be all free next week.

Since the alt was dead on my car when i got it i took the one off my truck. Well today i bought another one to throw on the goon and put the original one back on the truck, it still works well but since the goon is my daily i wanted it to have the new one. Napa sold me one, that was rebuilt in 06. Not a problem i dont think since it was just sitting on the shelf. I get home, remove the old one, put the new one in, and its not charging. My autometer voltmeter is just under 12v. I double checked everything, revved the car up a bit, let it run for a while, still nothing. Took it to napa, had them test it. They said it tests out fine, it has to be my car. I explained to them that my other alt works fine it has to be this! They convince me to take it home, try it again and this time clean the connectors well etc. So i washed the connectors, then took some 200grit sand paper, and sanded the connectors off, and tried again. Mind you its raining sideways here and im getting soaked. I installed it again, and still. Not charging. I took the other alt, and my car with the new not charging alt to a buddies shop. He says it has to be the alt as well, he double checked everything and we even put the old alt back in and it works fine.

Took it back to napa, they dont have any alternators for any 720s, or a hardbody, let alone a later 620. Have to wait until tuesday to get the next runner up from spokane. What a pain in the ass, i missed some work, got soaked, and the alt checks out ok, and im still without my truck for a few days.

could be worse. :blink:

haha, it could be i suppose

Internally regulated alternator?

Yeah, i got an alternator for a 1980 datsun 720. Its funny, thats the only alternator they had there for nissan/datsun, yet they say its ONLY for the 1980 720. it doesnt list it as usable for other years, i thought 78/79 620s had IR alt too?

The goon has had the IR bypass done (thanks again phil) and its been working great with the stock alt out of my 80 pickup

I had them look up on their computer to double check that it was IR alt, it doesn't say. After the second time installing it and realizing it does not work, i connected the external regular for my 510, ran it, it was working but the faster the motor went the higher the volts went, after it past 15 volts i just shut it down.