CARtoons! Remember these?

fdaf_1.JPG

Haven't seen these in ages. I used to subscribe back in the late '80s. Don't know what happened to them all. All I could find were a half-dozen out of what was once 2-3yrs worth. Anybody got some they want to sell? ;)

~Brian

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Hot Rod mag history was great. I forgot all about that stuff. When I was about eight years old until I was about twelve, I worked in my parent's bakery every Saturday morning from 5am to noon. Then I would take the bus or the streetcar to the YMCA downtown to swim and hang out with our "Y" club. On the way home, where I had to transfer to a different bus, there was an old fashioned news stand that had all kinds of periodicals.

Since I made like fifty cents an hour for working, I could blow a buck and get ten DC or Marvel Comics. I remember being outraged when they went up to twelve cents. As I got a little older and started to notice the twenty something renters that lived on our street. They were always wrenching on '55, '56 or '57 Chevys or hip little Ford roadsters with flat heads or small block V8s. I noticed that they always had copies of Car Craft or HotRod Magazines littering the garage. I started to read them and one time they gave me a pile of mags to read and there was CarToons. I started to get it every month at the newsstand and pretty much had every copy of every single comic book or CarToons for a few years.

God, if I had even tenth of all the comics and CarToons, CarCraft and HotRod magazines... there were five or six stacks like three feet high in my room.

In school I had a teacher in 3rd grade that really encouraged kids to draw, paint and be creative. In 4th grade I had a strict jerk of a teacher named Mr. Genopolous. I sat in the back and every time he called on me, I was drawing on my book covers or my Peachee. One time he got pissed and came back to see what I was drawing. He just blew up when he found pictures of rocket ships, fighter planes, hopped up VWs with Rat Finks driving them and '32 Ford Coupes burning rubber. He made me sit right in front of his desk so that he could "keep and eye on me". He called my parents and they got on my case for not paying attention, doodling and wasting time.

That pretty much stifled all of my young creative talent. I could have been an artist or designer, something... but so it goes. I always hated Mr. Genopolous. :fu::fu::fu:

That pretty much stifled all of my young creative talent. I could have been an artist or designer, something... but so it goes. I always hated Mr. Genopolous. :fu::fu::fu:

I remember DC going to 12 cents, an outrage! Mid '60s? Still, when you're an addict...

My gr. 10 science teacher was a dick. Most condescending prick ever. He always said stuff like: I my class WE don't do it like that, now do WE? I was sent to the front office over a dozen times with misconduct reports (we called them crime sheets :D) None in gr 9, 11 or 12, just with this hole. The first few were so stupid and a waist of everyone's time. He tried to embarrass me in front of the class, that, pissed me off. OH, it's on!!!!

He always had a habit of waiting in the hall while classes changed, just so he could harass some poor late kid. Knowing I had lots of time I walked in and calmly collected all the chalk brushes and heaved them out the second story window. No one would dare rat me out in front of the class, any way I was ready. About ten minutes into the class I see him glance over for a brush while he writing stuff, then again. "Where's the brushes?" Once again, and the class starts to giggle, his face gets red, he doesn't ask me, just sends me to the office. The Vice Principal tries to bluster and scare me, wanting to know what my problem is. I say I don't have a problem and maybe he should ask Mr. Hunt. I point out that I've had no problems with anyone else just him. He grunts and walks away. I got three more that year. The VP would just let me sit in the office till the end of my class and send me along. :fu:Mr. Hunt, ...still doing things MY way.

I've got some packed away, I subscribed for about 5 years when I was a kid. I'll see if I can find them.

Nice! Let me know if you want to unload them. :) I wonder what it would take to convince that publishing co. to produce these again? Yea right!

~Brian

Wasn't most of the art work done by Trosley?

Through the 80's and 90's he was kind of the "go to" guy, then they brought on Kerri and some others to focus more of the artwork on, but they all seemed a litle ham-handed compared to Geo.

I got to meet him in Sacto. at a meet n greet at a comic book store. he was doing a signing for some other work he was doing and I kept bugging him about CarToons and his How To Draw things he did in them.:D

I have a box of old books and papers that I packed in a box to move in 1985 and I have moved it to about six houses and never opened, it always gets stuck in the garage or storage. I just opened it and these drawings were in a Peechee folder that had "Help Promote Street Racing" on it.

bf55c216.jpg

They were drawn with a #2 pencil on this brown kinda newsprint we used in grammer school. They are all erased and smudged. I think they were drawn when I was in fifth grade, so circa 1962?

I think this was supposed to be a Henry J.

48cb550a.jpg

f6e674fa.jpg

794b7dda.jpg

This one isn't too bad.

a123f593.jpg

They are kinda lame but it looks like I was into drawing all kinds of stuff. Whish I had more, because I know that some of them looked pretty good in about sixth or seventh grade.

e2e3777c.jpg

I love to draw but never think to sit down and do it. The reality is that I do a lot of drawing and drafting for work so I get it out of my system.