New guy here... new little engine.

Planning on using a $50 240sx tranny in an L series bell housing. Maybe one day an S15 6 speed if I can figure out how to get it mounted in that bell housing.

I have a basically new SPEC clutch left over from my Z car stuff that should hold 300hp, considering the weight of this car.

If you are serious about running the NAPS head then put NAPS motor mounts on the L20B block. This will orient the motor into the same position as the Z and KA motors. This way you don't have to graft the L tranny case onto the 240sx 5 speed. The KA 5 speed will fit right on!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are serious about running the NAPS head then put NAPS motor mounts on the L20B block. This will orient the motor into the same position as the Z and KA motors. This way you don't have to graft the L tranny case onto the 240sx 5 speed. The KA 5 speed will fit right on!!!

That is fascinating. I did not know the KA/NAPS bolt pattern was just a rotated L series pattern.

Awsume!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got to ask way not 6" I beam rods aftermarked? This is common with costum pistons anything you want can be made. That would lighter and stronger.

Why? Prepped stock rods should be more than adequate for my purposes and relatively low RPMs for an L bottom end.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:thumbup:

rod failure has not been a problem in (high RPM) L motors.

shot peening was recommened for where there was concern.

the rod bolts are the weak links tho, I personally always replace with ARP bolts.

over kill on a street motor but its worth buying them to know there not going to break even on a high HP/RPM motor

True that Brian.

Awsume!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got to ask way not 6" I beam rods aftermarked? This is common with costum pistons anything you want can be made. That would lighter and stronger.

Why after market. The Z20E comes with 152.5mm or 6.0085" rods from the factory. They come fitted with flat top pistons too and are 85mm so they fit the L20B..

:thumbup:

rod failure has not been a problem in (high RPM) L motors.

shot peening was recommened for where there was concern.

Agreed. Only rod failures I have seen in the L series were from oil starvation, or some other catastrophic failure.

the rod bolts are the weak links tho, I personally always replace with ARP bolts.

over kill on a street motor but its worth buying them to know there not going to break even on a high HP/RPM motor

I'd not put anything but ARP hardware in the location of rod bolts, even on a stock restoration type rebuild.

Nice thing about this little ITB intake setup is that you can see most of the back of the intake valve through the WOT position of the throttle body.

I'll post more pictures once I get the intake welded up.

• 1 month later...

ok well looks like not many people really care about this engine. lol. Either in forums or real life. lol oh well I enjoy working on it. its relaxing to me if anything.

Well I made some progress today. I guess thats a good thing lol.

welded the half the intake runners to the Z24 manifold to mount the rearward dual throttle body, and my turbo for this beast:

2010-08-24%2022.19.38.jpg

2010-08-24%2022.18.46.jpg

Mocked up ready for final welding, then has to be machined flat on both mounting surfaces:

2010-08-26%2020.39.18.jpg

Looking down through the throttle body... when its on the head you can see most of the back of the valve through the throttle body. Nice straight shot.

2010-08-26%2020.39.47.jpg

Welding cast aluminum sucks.

Very nice! Love the work being put in here. I personally am fascinated at what you can make out of an L. Keep us updated! :thumbup:

Thanks!

I think the header I built will be used for break in without the turbo, but a heavy duty turbo manifold will be fabricated for the real deal.

For the intake manifold I shortened it an inch from what I had planned so that it will be able to fit in a tighter engine bay. It took some extra TIG welding but I gained some space for the plenum.

• 4 weeks later...

just a motivational post... i think what your doing is awesome, i personally like head z head a lot, even n/a... i think you will probably get close to 300hp with a good dyno tune...

i see those sweet throttle bodies, but what are you going to use for fuel delivery, im guessing injection but see no bosses... Anyway, great build keep it up. i want to learn more about what you do to your head when you do it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok well looks like not many people really care about this engine. lol. Either in forums or real life. lol oh well I enjoy working on it. its relaxing to me if anything.

Well I made some progress today. I guess thats a good thing lol.

Don't worry about the naysayers. you obviously have the skills you need to pull this off, and the creativity to do something unique.

I for one, will enjoy watching this build. Kudos! :)