Thoughts about a sunny?

9 members have voted

1. 1. To do, or not to do!

• Do it!!
    • Don't do it!!
    • Aren't you the guys who lost the wheel? I mean... DO IT!!!

Put very simply, my interior is TRASHED. The previous owner fuck it over really bad when he had the car. Dash is cracked I'm missing all of my dash trim, etc. And finding dash trim and such isn't so easy when you drive a Sunny. Noone really has parts for these things.

So when I was at the junkyard last, I saw this nice Z31 300ZX that I pulled the seats from to put in my car.

I've been putting lot's of thought in it, and I think the dash assembly would look really good in my Datsun. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but I have google so here's what it basically looks like.

nissan300zx3.jpg

What do you guys think about this idea?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Skibby and say ROCK IT!

Just make sure the dash angles are similar enough so you don't have an ugly gap. I've seen some good dash swaps...and not so good ones as well.

Just my $0.02

ーゴキ

Yeah That's what I'm thinking! They're close model years, so I'm hoping that the gaps and all the measurement are close enough and that the price is good.

I think your dash, if complete, looks much better than that godawful orange clashed with blue monstrosity, but of course that's just my opinion ;)

I'd have to agree with you %100, but finding all the parts in good condition is a long and gruesome task =/ It seems much easier to just buy a complete one from a junkyard and fit it. And where better to look then a Z car?

I'd have to agree with you %100, but finding all the parts in good condition is a long and gruesome task =/ It seems much easier to just buy a complete one from a junkyard and fit it. And where better to look then a Z car?

go to the JY and bring a tape measure and note pad.

Just start looking in all the cars you can and measure the dashes you like.

no matter what you get it out of youl prob have to make new mounting brackets so its best to find one that will be the best fit and that you like.

go to the JY and bring a tape measure and note pad.

Just start looking in all the cars you can and measure the dashes you like.

no matter what you get it out of youl prob have to make new mounting brackets so its best to find one that will be the best fit and that you like.

That's the plan. I'm heading out in a few hours to do some shopping.

I'm kind of caught between a 1984 and 1987. I'm trying to stick close to my model year and Nissan's. They look a lot alike, and I'm hoping they measure up too.

Dash swaps in general are not a good idea. Nobody wants to buy a car that has had it's dashboard swapped out, because even if it's done well (most are done very poorly) the buyer questions what else has been hacked on the car. Sure you may say you'll never sell the car, but you will, everyone does. A swapped dash will devalue your ride like no other mod can.

Take the time to find the correct dashboard, not only will it look better, it will look "correct", and it will increase the value of your ride.

Dash swaps in general are not a good idea. Nobody wants to buy a car that has had it's dashboard swapped out, because even if it's done well (most are done very poorly) the buyer questions what else has been hacked on the car. Sure you may say you'll never sell the car, but you will, everyone does. A swapped dash will devalue your ride like no other mod can.

Take the time to find the correct dashboard, not only will it look better, it will look "correct", and it will increase the value of your ride.

Honestly buying a datsun or any car in general shouldn't be viewed as an investment imo

• Like 1

I dont c how changing out a dash would devalue a car. Specially considering the condition that it is now...

It may be months or longer before he may be able to peice together the "proper" missing peices...

I would recomend sticking to the original dash too! dont get me wrong...but if availability is none existent within reasonable means then its better to do a dash swap than it is to sluggishly move a project down a long road of nothingness just because you wana look for original parts...

Document the install, take your time and make sure that everything is done properly...that way when you DO go to sell the car, you have good enough background for that one person that will b1tch and complain about a "swapped dash" wich probably wouldnt even buy the car with the stock dash if it wasnt swapped to begin with...

Cliffs: do it lol

So here's the bad news. The 300ZX that I wanted the dash from was crushed. I measured another one that was an older model and it was way off. I was headed out the door with a frown until I stopped to talk to a worker that was around. Long story short, he showed me to a new interior that measures up nearly perfect, that I'm sure won't depreciate the value of my car.

Anyone care to guess what it is?

PICT0098.jpg

you sure its gonna fit? I haven't measured either dashes, but the trans tunnel vs. seating position looks a lot higher in the RX7 than in the 210....I'm just throwing it out there.

ーゴキ

It's gonna be close. It's going to take slight mods, but with a little work it will fit. In fact, I have confidence that it's going to fit better then what I have now.