gonna sand down my car and rattle can it before nicks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

Depends on what Color you want it!!! If you want a Semi flat finish go with a Satin spray paint,If ya want Gloss go with Rustoleum,For sanding start with some 100-120 with a DA and finish with 320-500 grit

some nice fine sand paper, masking tape, news paper, some quality paint (no 98cent walmart crap) and practice your can control, its really all about can control for it to come out nice with no drips or stripes

the krylon cans with the fan tip help too.

the goons rattle can and so was the Z

IMG_0038-4.jpg

l_9b7e242000354abd911658d853e0916d.jpg

skib man wanna rattle can the 610 i got a 18 pack of whatever beer you like for ya if ya do it i get stripes :(

hell ya!!

Im going to try and be down this summer, shooting for July :cool:

:rofl: lets just say Iv got a few years practice in can control ;)

Guest kamakazi620

hell ya!!

Im going to try and be down this summer, shooting for July :cool:

:rofl: lets just say Iv got a few years practice in can control ;)

Is THAT what You and Noob were doing in the bathroom?????? "Tuna can control"????

I did my engine bay with a 2.5 gallon compressor and a $65 small spray gun from sears

It is their smallest gun,,,,, , and the only one that will work with a small compressor

I have used it to spray quarts of rustoleum,,,,,,, ,, or high quality paint .. (not availible in cali anymore) :(

No stripes.......... and a good quality clear coat makes all the difference

7895103.JPG

This was high quality paint......... about $100 a gallon........ but I used 1/2 a quart of base coat for the whole bay,,,, and even less clear.....

what should I buy and how should I do it?

The guy I took my z too get my front end done painted ( yellow ) , said he " would not work on the car again if I use rattle can primer or the price will go up " says he can never get it too stick or last efficiently and has had numerous clients come back for repairs ( has tried it numerous times himself and never really was satisfied for longevity )---->>>> ( Yes he is a body shop guy for a living , does it all day then does it as a business on the side )

I would say don't sand to bare metal and use rattle can primer as a base , but above that you should be just fine. Yeah Skib is 100% correct on Wal-Mart .99 rattle can stuff , it never comes out right and usually has a LOT of moisture in batches of that paint. Doesn't last on anything it is used on either.

Mixing primers + paint brands is dangerous in itself. They should be used as a cohesive setup formula , so go talk to a paint pro shop , then when you decide it is too much , do what 72240z did and use "John Deere Tractor Paint" :cool:

If you can do it like INDY510 , that would be the way to go hands down ! :cool:

So don't sand to bare metal and use primer as a base , but above that you should be just fine. Yeah Skib is 100% correct on Wal-Mart .99 rattle can stuff , it never comes out right and usually has a LOT of moisture in batches of that paint. Doesn't last on anything it is used on either.

If you can do it like INDY510 , that would be the way to go hands down ! :cool:

walmart paint is cheap, its thinned out, runny, and has poor coverage.

some high quality stuff like Montana Hardcore/Gold or Belton is nice but its expensive and youl only find it in a specialty graffiti store.

so just stick with Rusto or Krylon.

and yes, painting it proper is much better as far as long term quality but when you need some thing quick and cheap rattle can with good prep doesnt look half bad.

spend some time wet sanding and buffing and it will polish out to look like proper paint.

over all its cheap, quick, and fairly decent if done right, just not a long term solution.

Personally, I like the look of rattle can paint as long as you take your time and make sure you get a good coat. I used Krylon flat black on my car to get a quick coat over the car when I bought it.

But I'm with Skib here. I wouldn't use it as a long term solution. You just can't beat the quality of real car paint. Plus if you're filling her up with gas and you drip, it's gonna screw up your paint:P

I painted my engine compartment and wheel wells with a ceramic paint from eastwood.(link below) I liked the paint its a hard paint to scratch or chip. Its a nice satin black and not too expensive. I was thinking of doing my whole car with it. To the people that have rattle canned their cars, how many cans of spray paint did your cars require?

http://www.eastwood.com/2k-ceramic-underhood-black-quart-kit.html

walmart paint is cheap, its thinned out, runny, and has poor coverage.

some high quality stuff like Montana Hardcore/Gold or Belton is nice but its expensive and youl only find it in a specialty graffiti store.

so just stick with Rusto or Krylon.

and yes, painting it proper is much better as far as long term quality but when you need some thing quick and cheap rattle can with good prep doesnt look half bad.

spend some time wet sanding and buffing and it will polish out to look like proper paint.

over all its cheap, quick, and fairly decent if done right, just not a long term solution.

Yup 100% in agreement :thumbup: , and a lot of shit from Wal-Mart is "hit or miss" in general for me :rofl: IDK ? who knows ? :hmm: I actually have a hard time making it look the way I want too , but body work is not my thing ( I am the dude that slaps 5 gallons per fender then wonders why the shit falls off down the freeway. )

and I am a shitty painter with no patience :lol: , but I have seen friends do exactly what your saying making rattle can "look right" for the time being and actually achieving "even" coverage :cool: , it's just the Wal-Mart house brand shit I have never seen worse rattle can paint :blink: <_<

okay, how much does automotive primer cost? this will be shot outside in a dusty environment :o

there is ----->>>>> google :lol: . Are you asking prices on Aersol Can Automotive Primer or are you planning to shoot with a Paint Gun + Automotive dilluted primer before anyone quotes ya ? What brands of primer are you looking at doing and what are you planning EXACTLY to do with yer 510 :D

Can you help not shooting in a dusty environment at all ? ( plastic sheeting or temp garage set up ? )

Aerosol Can = anywhere from $2.50 - $6.00 per can ( hard to tell how many you will need depending on your plans )

Spray Gun Primer = there are a crapload of different primers here to work with , anything specific in mind ?

okay, how much does automotive primer cost? this will be shot outside in a dusty environment :o

For for a quick rattle you dont need primer, just do a good job sanding it.

Cleaning is very important too, after you sand make sure everything is wiped down thoroughly.

You need your work area to be as clean as possible, dust or other contaminates will screw with your work.

As far as point goes, stick to rusto/krylon. Itl run you about $5-$6 a can

For for a quick rattle you dont need primer, just do a good job sanding it.

Cleaning is very important too, after you sand make sure everything is wiped down thoroughly.

You need your work area to be as clean as possible, dust or other contaminates will screw with your work.

As far as point goes, stick to rusto/krylon. Itl run you about $5-$6 a can

there's a lot of rust under the roof, and a lot of rough spots body wise. I'm not too worried about messed up work :)

IMG_2084Medium.jpg

CIMG0259.jpg

CIMG0216.jpg

i just sprayed my car this pass weekend and the way i did it was i sanded the whole car with 80 grit. not to bare metal but until the clear coat was off and until the original paint was kinda thin. then i went over the entire car again with 150......." it takes a long time if u sand the whole time with 150"......i used 80 grit to get all the clear coat and stuff off and the the 150 is used to make sure the surface is smooth if u dont use a fine sand paper before u spray u run the chance of seen all the scratches from the sand paper through the primer.

for actual car primer i know the price depends on the brand and store. It cost me $142 for a gallon of primer mixing cups and all that jazz.

after u sand paper wipe the car down mask all ur goodies then spray.

in ur case sense its gunna b sprayed outside in a dusty environment i would just go with the rattle can like everyone else is saying.

i got lucky because my friend has a huge compressor and a spray gun so i did mine in his garage and i also hate sanding so i figured ill spend the time and money needed for the long term solution now instead of doing it all twice..... but i have seen some nice rattle can jobs

in your case, sand it down with some 220 grit. not a lot just enough to rough it and get the paint to stick. No need for primer just get some good rattle can and have at it, take your time and build your coats. you can finish the whole thing in a day.

naw haha i think it only takes half. just one thing that i kept in mind when i was trying to decide if i wanted to just rattle can mine or spray it and get it ready for paint is if i was more worried about just having it all one color for now and cover up all the rust spots or was i actually ready to do a serious paint job. i decided that im ready to do a paint job so i deid my best to get the body as straight as i could and fixed the majority of the rust. there are still two major rust spots that need to b fixed but i dont have the time resources or money to fix them right now so they will have to wait.

if ur just intrested in getting it all one color for now i would def go with the rattle can route because if u take short cuts on body work now and primer it and think its ready for paint when u go to paint it later u will b able to c how much effort u put into the body work

Looking at that rear panel............ .. I would just use rattle can primer

It is going to take you a few months to get the bodywork smooth ...

And also: the paint I used is NO LONGER AVAILIBLE in California.......... CA switched over to water-bourne paint last year.

So it kinda ruined any chance of doing a outside paint job....... you need a stainless tip on the spray gun,,,,, and a bigger compressor....

So either use rusto rattle can....... or if you have a small compressor you can spray quarts of rustoleum with the $65 "touch-up" spray gun from sears........ it is a half pint cup...... which is hardly enough to paint a fender...... so I just refill it every 4 minutes

Basically you should just use the white rusto roller method.......... any dark color will show EVERY imperfection...... especially if you don't use primer first.

If i were you the priority would be to get some primer on the bare metal spots weather it be with a rattle can or shot with a gun.

That quarter panel / back part will take some time to get straight but ive seen worse.

The rest of the car doesnt look that bad. I wouldnt waste $$$ on rattle can paint. When you decide to paint the car it ALL has to come off which means a nightmare for the person who prepps the car.

If anything maybe rattle can prime the truck & bare metal spots & call it good.

I also do bodywork & can work that quarter panel for you for cheap so lemme know.